Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106900 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #1155 on: July 23, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »

SACD is not bad, but DVDA was much better. The only problem is the industry did not support it, well, because of the expense of manufacture. Additionally, you needed a new machine to play it. I have a Denon multi-format player that works with all the ones that have come out, thus far.

The thing that gets me is that the original CD format works really well with a decent DA converter, usually outboard, but those of us who care already have the gear. I can't understand why all this monkey-motion with the "new formats" when, with a little attention to detail during production, the standard Redbook is great.

:hair:

DCD, box set ...
Put it like this, i only have my music in WMA high rate now, so a CD is a bit of a novelty to me now, I only really listen to music while going to places from my collection, the rest of the time I use Pandora. What I dont get is why they just dont use Blu-Ray discs for a new format, then they wouldnt have to change it again for almost forever, 50 gig of audio has almost perfect quality to it, no1 could tell any imperfections in it really.

Cost of manufacture and the need to convince the public that they will have to buy a new machine .....
It will happen, eventually, but the recording companies are going to maximize profits from their own already-paid-for equipment, before they tool up again.

Besides, I am already talking about a compromise in sound quality I am willing to take by listening to digital to start. Digital music is about convenience, longevity of the media and accessibility of the music, but not fidelity. Maximizing fidelity is a goal, but it can never be any where near "almost perfect."

The problem with any "sampled medium", including blu-ray is that there are times during the music when the music is not sampled. To those of us who are familiar with the true, live sound of real acoustic musical instruments, there can never be a sampled format that will fool us. I have thousands of dollars worth of high grade digital equipment, but my twenty year old analog equipment leaves it in the dust for fidelity. Don't try the "perfect quality" argument.

(This is not helping my migraine!)

Another thing is that the audiophile segment of the market is almost negligible, compared to the whole. The industry does not care about us.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:12:32 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #1156 on: July 23, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »

SACD is not bad, but DVDA was much better. The only problem is the industry did not support it, well, because of the expense of manufacture. Additionally, you needed a new machine to play it. I have a Denon multi-format player that works with all the ones that have come out, thus far.

The thing that gets me is that the original CD format works really well with a decent DA converter, usually outboard, but those of us who care already have the gear. I can't understand why all this monkey-motion with the "new formats" when, with a little attention to detail during production, the standard Redbook is great.

DCD, box set ...

I'm not familiar with DVDA, however, I know that SACD format utilises a 24 bit sample resolution and 196Khz sample rate, so what you hear on an SACD essentially the same resolution and bitrate that is utilised in major recording and mastering studios. I know Bob Ludwig has pretty much been a big supporter of the SACD format. --Then again it's a still pretty much a  proprietary format not unlike Betamax video.

The sad thing is that the Mp3 format has pretty much usurped all other audio formats. --The giver takes.

"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1157 on: July 23, 2007, 07:49:47 PM »

DCD, box set ...

I'm not familiar with DVDA, however, I know that SACD format utilises a 24 bit sample resolution and 196Khz sample rate, so what you hear on an SACD essentially the same resolution and bitrate that is utilised in major recording and mastering studios. I know Bob Ludwig has pretty much been a big supporter of the SACD format. --Then again it's a still pretty much a  proprietary format not unlike Betamax video.

The sad thing is that the Mp3 format has pretty much usurped all other audio formats. --The giver takes.

Yes and Ludwig's remasters are among the best, along with Steve Hoffman's and Barry Diament's work. Rudy Van Gelder is my favorite jazz remaster engineer.

I really wish SACD would have been more accepted, because it was truly an improvement, without a huge re-tooling cost to the manufacturers.
Like you said, though, mp3 rules as far as the regular listener is concerned. If you are listening with earbuds, you can barely tell the difference between many of the bitrates and the average listener would not know the difference if you tried to demonstrate it to them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:51:57 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1158 on: July 24, 2007, 01:30:30 AM »
* odeon looks at his LP collection and wonders about the bitrates...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1159 on: July 24, 2007, 02:53:21 AM »
lol.  depends how hard you bit them, i suppose.   :eyelash:

(that's so sweet ! :-* )

duncvis

« Reply #1160 on: July 24, 2007, 03:07:12 AM »
Curve - Pubic Fruit

duncvis

« Reply #1161 on: July 24, 2007, 04:32:03 AM »
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1162 on: July 24, 2007, 04:44:30 AM »

Lucifer are you saying you could bite nearly 200,000 times a second. You must have a massive appeitite...

duncvis

« Reply #1163 on: July 24, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »
KMFDM - Adios

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1164 on: July 24, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »

Lucifer are you saying you could bite nearly 200,000 times a second. You must have a massive appeitite...

She wouldn't have to. If she actually bit you one time, you would "stay bit"  ...   permanently.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:35:32 PM by MarkingDawg »

Offline Hiphop Grandma

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1165 on: July 24, 2007, 02:50:26 PM »
Cat Power - Lived in Bars

Offline ASpHole

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #1166 on: July 24, 2007, 03:39:03 PM »
Motorhead - The Hammer

Offline ASpHole

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #1167 on: July 24, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
Ministry - Rio Grande Blood /Senor Peligro :headbang:

--This shit's like Psalm 69's bigger and uglier brother.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:57:48 PM by ASpHole »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1168 on: July 24, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »

"Riders On The Storm"

(on repeat for a while)

duncvis

« Reply #1169 on: July 25, 2007, 04:57:34 AM »
Ministry - Rio Grande Blood /Senor Peligro :headbang:

--This shit's like Psalm 69's bigger and uglier brother.

*goes looking for it  :evillaugh:

Blue Őyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper