Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106629 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
or trying to.

why is it taking so long to download?
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »
where is that confounded scalpel?

:rofl:
Okay You cand stop laughing He not here anymore. :evillaugh:

... but, Kevv, it's still funny, right now.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »
where is that confounded scalpel?

:rofl:
Okay You cand stop laughing He not here anymore. :evillaugh:

... but, Kevv, it's still funny, right now.
I was joking. ::)
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2007, 06:29:07 PM »
download complete.

good stuff, here.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »
or trying to.

why is it taking so long to download?

Sixty seven megabytes of file for one thing. It would take me about four and a half hours to download that one. During that time I would have to reset my connection at least once. It woudl be a good test for Firefox's download manager, actually.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2007, 06:53:50 PM »
Guardian of the Empire

duncvis

« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2007, 07:04:27 PM »
Its catchy, cheesy EBM time - Icon of Coil - The Soul Is In The Software... not their best (thats Machines Are Us) but no brain required, totally danceable, trance techno tinged anthems nonetheless. I likey.  :green:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2007, 08:35:15 PM »

A collection of soundtracks done by Ry Cooder. Fucking zydeco>blues>reggae>renaissance>celtic>rock-a-billly >> This CD is all over the place with intriguing sounds from, mostly, acoustic and percussive instruments. 

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »
Husker Du - Zen Arcade (Never Talking To You Again)
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2007, 08:56:20 PM »
I was a punk kid running around the Texas rock scene with a "bad ass sound system" in my early twenties, working anywhere I could. I was in Austin a lot in seventy nine and eighty. SRV was already a phenom, but he still played all his old dives (he was only a year older than I am). One time, spring of eighty four, I was working with Jimmie (he did a lot of appearances without the Fabulous Thunderbirds in the first few years) and SRV walked in, incognito, to pay big bro a surprised visit. It was kind of cool seeing them together, because they were both full of the competitive spirit.

What type of gear did you have, I am a former partner in a PA Rental company that never made it.

Hendrix stuff, to me, is hot and cold, sound-wise, but I'm such a rabid fan, that I NEED to have all of it, no matter what it sounds like. It is truly about the music for me, although I love good sound, too. The funny thing is that Eddie Kramer did the mastering on some of the Hendrix Dagger releases, but I guess he's lost his ears or something or maybe he's lost his nerve. The fucker has got to be in his mid-sixties, at least.
To be honest with you, I think that Bob Ludwig would have done a better job at it.

I do know a bit about the old ways of recording and most of the special effects, added in the studio, were tape effects, some of which are not possible with digital mastering, at least not yet. True "flanging" is uniquely analog, as you probably know. Of course, they still try to do tape effects, digitally, but it always sounds tinny and hollow.

I remember I thought that Tape Echo sucked util I plugged a guitar into a cheap Fender Tranny amp that had an old Maestro Echoplex in the FX Loop.--I became a believer in a big way after that. --Damn the sound that thing produced!!!
The Lexicon FX Unit that I had a few years ago wouldn't even come close to producing the sounds I could get out of the Maestro.

I remember that back in the 60's before Op Amps and Bucket Brigade Circuits, Flanging was a VERY expensive proposition due to the fact that you needed three tape machines, and an engineer with very deft thumbs to drag the feed reels on two of the tape machines to get the effect.  Then again, Some of the old 80's 16 bit Digital stuff can be cool to use because it sounds so cold and artificial. My next piece of rack gear might be a Digitech DSP 128, I currently have an ART SGX that I use for guitar. I paid $60 for it.

"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2007, 10:36:55 PM »

I had good gear, from the very beginning and built up a system slowly at first. I ran a Yamaha PM1000 16x4x2 (later replaced by a proper monitor board) on the stage and a PM2000 24x8x2 (later I expanded it to a 32 channel) for the house mix. I also had a couple of other boards that were great for clubs, a twenty four channel Peavey and a Allen and Heath (baby one 24x8). Lots of Yamaha, Crown, UREI, Alesis, White, dBx, Rane, and even some Peavey rack gear. Power was McIntosh at first, but as I expanded, I went with Crown and Yamaha power, mostly. Speakers were JBL, 4550s 4560s and eventually I bought some EV Eliminator bass bins, with eighteen inch drivers, for low end.

The EVs led me to learn about horn theory and I designed a dual fifteen "W" bin, for the JBL 2205 drivers, which I switched to, exclusively, and a couple of years later I had many of them, built. In addition, I made up the mid-bass horns, for the twelve inchers, to JBL spec, and away I went. Used a bunch of JBL baby butt cheeks, too, for near field venues, but mostly I used their bi-radial horns. I would have loved to use the Altec Mantaray horns, but I always had problems getting them.

I had mostly Shure SM57 and SM58, some Audio Technica, and few fancies, like Sennheisers, Nuehman, AKG, but the fancy ones were too fragile for "the road". SM58s rule! I also carried a number of accessories, like extra drum parts, Leslie speaker, Hammond B3, Marshall head, Fender Twin Reverb and a Rhodes, and other stuff I picked up used. My little junk pile saved the day more than once.

Some where along the line I ran into John Meyer and he got me interested in Linear Arrays and I studied up on how to make those work. I had gotten my first linear array system built, when I finally got so fed up with fighting, (the Nashville scene, at the time) that I made the decison to get out of it completely. Now, I look back and some of my mild autie behaviors got in my way, at times, but I had no idea what all that was about, back then.

No lights, though. I always subbed them out. I hate stage lights!

I had the idea that I might get back into it, for years, but I sold my vintage PM2000 last summer, to a guy in Nashville for his practice studio. I still have a few odds and ends, but all the valuable stuff went fast, in '89 when I gave it up. A lot of the gear was leased and it was easy to deal with, but I owned enough equity to keep a decent grubstake, for the future.
I still have a McIntosh MC2500, that I use on my HT LFE channel, across four fifteens. Five hundred watts per channel (Not impressive by modern standards, but it was tits in its day) and it will drive a 1/2 ohm load. I had six of them at one time, but I needed more power and went with Crowns at half the price per watt. The Mac still rocks:

(stolen pic)

I agree that Bob Ludwig could have done a marvelous job on the tapes from the Hendrix archives, but the family wanted to have the original guy re-do them for digital. (Not his realm) Another name I associate with the best in engineerig, or at least mastering, is Steve Hoffman. Rudy Van Gelder, too,  but he's a jazz cat.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2007, 10:45:56 PM »

Buddy Guy, buttloads of it on the computer, random, no repeat.

Scrapheap

« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2007, 10:54:01 PM »
Maybe someone here can help me....

Back when I was stationed in 29 Palms, one of our Navy Corpsmen listened to this guy from the Kentucky/Tennesse area who played Bluegrass/Rock fusion. Does this ring a bell for anyone ??

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2007, 10:55:29 PM »
Maybe someone here can help me....

Back when I was stationed in 29 Palms, one of our Navy Corpsmen listened to this guy from the Kentucky/Tennesse area who played Bluegrass/Rock fusion. Does this ring a bell for anyone ??

Bela Fleck and Mark O'Connor come to mind.