Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106890 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2007, 07:15:52 PM »
Yeah, well, I'm a Texas, boy who used to work the Austin circuit when he and his brother played almost every weekend, somewhere in town.

I'm not the only one, who misses him ...

I know ... it's damn tacky and a little comical, but "his people" still love him.

:laugh:

... but you're right about Junior Kimbrough. A legend! I have his "All Night Long" and Meet Me In The City". There are many more, though and I love guitar blues of any sort.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2007, 08:04:53 PM »
Yeah, well, I'm a Texas, boy who used to work the Austin circuit when he and his brother played almost every weekend, somewhere in town.

I'm not the only one, who misses him ...

I know ... it's damn tacky and a little comical, but "his people" still love him.

:laugh:

... but you're right about Junior Kimbrough. A legend! I have his "All Night Long" and Meet Me In The City". There are many more, though and I love guitar blues of any sort.

Well, at least you knew the guy when he was still paying his dues, so that's cool. Were you around Austin when Roky Erikson 
and the 13th Floor Elevators were at their height? It seems as if Austin has always contributed some really strange but good music to the underground rock and roll scene for over 40 years.

On another note, I really dislike the way the Hendrix family has had Jimi's work remastered. --It's like they cleaned all of the magic in his music, they sound really clean, but also really sterile as well.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2007, 09:01:54 PM »

Well, at least you knew the guy when he was still paying his dues, so that's cool. Were you around Austin when Roky Erikson 
and the 13th Floor Elevators were at their height? It seems as if Austin has always contributed some really strange but good music to the underground rock and roll scene for over 40 years.

On another note, I really dislike the way the Hendrix family has had Jimi's work remastered. --It's like they cleaned all of the magic in his music, they sound really clean, but also really sterile as well.

I'm not quite that old, although I've seen Erikson play, once. I really liked the Uranium Savages, too, and some of the trippy-trippy Eric Johnson stuff, but the Sixth Street scene was nothing like what it would become after the TV cameras got there.

I was a punk kid running around the Texas rock scene with a "bad ass sound system" in my early twenties, working anywhere I could.

Hendrix stuff, to me, is hot and cold, sound-wise, but I'm such a rabid fan, that I NEED to have all of it, no matter what it sounds like. It is truly about the music for me, although I love good sound, too. The funny thing is that Eddie Kramer did the mastering on some of the Hendrix Dagger releases, but I guess he's lost his ears or something or maybe he's lost his nerve. The fucker has got to be in his mid-sixties, at least.
I do know a bit about the old ways of recording and most of the special effects, added in the studio, were tape effects, some of which are not possible with digital mastering, at least not yet. True "flanging" is uniquely analog, as you probably know. Of course, they still try to do tape effects, digitally, but it always sounds tinny and hollow.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:48:10 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2007, 11:07:03 PM »

Bubble Puppy, "A Gathering Of Promises" on vinyl.

duncvis

« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2007, 06:09:53 AM »
Front Line Assembly - Epitaph. Some atmospheric shit, even if parts of the album do seem to wander off.  :-\

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2007, 07:09:30 AM »
no.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2007, 07:45:18 AM »
no.

Put some music on!

... and tell us what you are listening to.

... or tell us that we are listening to shit.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2007, 12:19:59 PM »
no.

Put some music on!

... and tell us what you are listening to.

... or tell us that we are listening to shit.
no.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2007, 02:06:51 PM »

Ray Charles, "just Between Us"

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2007, 05:16:58 PM »
where is that confounded scalpel?
Misunderstood.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
Only You really know. ::)
Guardian of the Empire

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2007, 05:39:49 PM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2007, 05:50:37 PM »
where is that confounded scalpel?

:rofl:
Okay You cand stop laughing He not here anymore. :evillaugh:
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2007, 06:18:13 PM »

Black Oak Arkansas, "Balls Of Fire" on vinyl.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2007, 06:20:18 PM »
Misunderstood.