Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106525 times)

duncvis

Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2007, 08:06:37 PM »
My kids are almost impervious to decent music unfortunately. My son is hooked on Crazy Frog, and my 8 year old daughter is discovering the dubious delights of sugar coated pre-teen pop. *shudders* The little un prefers harsh electro to just about anything else though. One out of three ain't bad.  :evillaugh:

Winding down with Haujobb - Freeze Frame Reality before attempting to sleep.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2007, 12:21:16 PM »
Winding down with Haujobb - Freeze Frame Reality before attempting to sleep.
That one is definitely more mellow and a little trippy. Not bad at all from the samples I have heard.

Spinning some Deep Purple.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2007, 07:49:52 PM »
Okay I have stay out. ;)
Guardian of the Empire

duncvis

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2007, 05:13:33 AM »
Checking out a The Sisters of Mercy bootleg 'Heartland' - seems pretty cool, there are tracks not on the 'official' odds and sods collection 'Some Girls Wander...' and versions of other classic Sisters tracks. Good stuff.  8)

duncvis

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2007, 05:40:10 AM »
This really is pretty entertaining. Highlights so far include some hilarious Pete Murphy stylings from Eldritch (its fair to say he was still developing his own distinctive atonal drawl at that point), and a cover of 'Jolene'...  :laugh:

Who said goths were miserable?

duncvis

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2007, 06:36:33 PM »
Oh my fucking God - you have got to check this out DD. I stumbled across this gem buried in a torrent with some NMA stuff -

Justin Sullivan - Navigating By The Stars

Its a million miles away from New Model Army's sound, and none the worse for it - according to the blurb it was inspired by a trip he made as a crew member on a transatlantic cargo ship, so its evocative tales of the sea rather than the fiery political bite of NMA's material. Its mostly acoustic, with his trademark emotive, powerful lyrics. This is one to crank up on a rainy car journey or a stormy night. Totally absorbing, and will be making regular late night trips to my playlist in future.  8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2007, 08:33:40 PM »
:thumbup:

Not bad at all. I'll bet it sounds great in surround.

Right now, Rolling Stones, "Exile On Main St."

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »
Nazerth rules even Black Sabbeth too.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2007, 09:14:23 PM »
Do you mean Nazareth rules and they are better than Black Sabbath? ... or that Black Sabbath rules, too.

I like them both.
 :evillaugh:

duncvis

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2007, 04:19:29 AM »
I don't listen to a lot of classic rock, but I must admit I have a soft spot for Sabbath. :headbang:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2007, 07:44:59 AM »
Just saw this, today. Bummer!
Quote from: Musicwire

Australian rock legend Billy Thorpe has died after suffering a major heart attack in the eary hours of this morning (Feb 28). He was 60. He performed locally last weekend.
Thorpe was born in England but migrated with his family to Brisbane in the 1950s.
He moved to Sydney in 1963 and recorded his first song the next year with his band Billy and the Aztecs.
They went on to perform at sell-out venues across Australia and had a string of hits in the 60s and 70s.
His music career has spanned five decades and he has also written two autobiographies.
Billy Thorpe was a major influence on the Australian "Pub-Rock" sound ... I remember years back sitting listening to Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs, ears aching, and clutching my beer firmly so the glass didn't vibrate off the table ...
He will be missed.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2007, 07:11:28 PM »

duncvis

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2007, 03:34:54 PM »
Watching an Old Grey Whistle Test retrospective 'New York Rock on the BBC' - some good shit. Television, Patti Smith, Ramones, Blondie reminding me how shit they were, and Sonic Youth reminding me I haven't listened to them for fucking ages. Currently d/ling Marquee Moon and Horses.  8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »
 I did a few jobs with the Ramones in the early days, hilarious bunch, they were. I can't remember when I last heard Sonic Youth. I have some on the computer, but I can't remember if they are on this drive or not. I need another couple of those internal HD external USB power box thingies, so I can have it all at my mouse.
I only really like one Blondie song, I think.

"One Way Or Another"

One way or another I'm gonna find ya
I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha
One way or another I'm gonna win ya
I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha
One way or another I'm gonna see ya
I'm gonna meetcha meetcha meetcha meetcha
One day, maybe next week
I'm gonna meetcha, I'm gonna meetcha, I'll meetcha
I will drive past your house
And if the lights are all down
I'll see who's around

One way or another I'm gonna getcha, I'll getcha, I'll getcha getcha getcha getcha
(Where I can see it all, find out who ya call)
One way or another I'm gonna getcha, I'll getcha, I'll getcha getcha getcha getcha
[repeat until fade]