Educational

Author Topic: Muggle Mom Appeals--Wants Harry Potter Books Banned from School Library  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/01/harry_potter_vs_laura_mallory.html

Harry Potter v. Laura Mallory, 2
This Time It's Magical!

(AP) She's Back! Laura Mallory, OFF/beat's 2006 Idiot of the Year, appears undeterred in her quest to banish Harry Potter books from school libraries. The suburban-Atlanta mother announced, Wednesday, that she plans to appeal a Georgia court's dismissal of her contention that the best-selling novels are "evil" propaganda aimed at indoctrinating youngsters into witchcraft. Despite having never read the books herself, Ms. Mallory persistently maintains that she is "tak[ing] a stand for truth."

While she is entitled to her opinion, Ms. Mallory's Potter purge is in the minority -- at least according to reader comments on this blog. Moreover, the courts appear unlikely to ever decide in her favor, since doing so would force the removal of all witch-related literature.

Now, without going so far as calling her an idiot (oh wait), it certainly shows a high level of ignorance to believe that a book you haven't even read is capable of converting people to a religion you know little about. Beyond the flawed logic though, Ms. Mallory's dogmatic persistence may actually end up driving more children to read Harry Potter. In a time when faith is mired by extremism, and reading is at an all time low, perhaps she feels the only way to teach the concepts of poetic justice and the dangers of close-minded fanaticism is through a polemic gesture. If not, she is demonstrating a line of thinking that makes the Salem Witch Trials seem almost rational.

Follow link for full article.

I can't believe the unmitigated gall of this woman!  She has never read a single Harry Potter book, but she wants them all to be banned from the school library.  She lost, so she is appealing the court's decision.  At least she will probably only make childen more interested in reading the books.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Muggle Mom Appeals--Wants Harry Potter Books Banned from School Library
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:09:37 AM »
Just in case anyone is interested, here is her 2006 Idiot of the Year award:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2006/12/idiot_of_the_year_awards_1.html

2006 Idiot of the Year: Laura Mallory, of Loganville, Georgia. This vigilant mother of four has demanded local schools remove Harry Potter from their libraries because, in her analysis, the books are an "evil" attempt to indoctrinate children in Wicca religion. Congratulations Laura, and good luck on your quest to eradicate the dark forces which pollute children's literature.

:laugh:

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 05:12:26 AM »
What a knob.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:50:49 AM »
i think that snape prefers the company of men.  and this lady is an idiot.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:52:13 AM »
How stupid to make a decision about a book without ever having read it.  IMO the Harry Potter books have nothing that could be remotely linked to real witchcraft.

duncvis

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »
She had to ride the short bus to sunday school. :smarty:

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 08:44:48 AM »
Someone should give her a medal of recognition for encouraging children to read.  ;D
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »
Someone should dress as a witch and go to her door with the books in hand, to ask if she's read the sacred texts, and offer her some religious pamphlets.  Extra +'s if they video it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »
That's riddikulus.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Scrapheap

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 09:48:07 AM »
Someone should dress as a witch and go to her door with the books in hand, to ask if she's read the sacred texts, and offer her some religious pamphlets.  Extra +'s if they video it.

If I wasn't so damn busy these days, I'd do it. :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr:

Litigious

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 10:04:21 AM »
i think that snape prefers the company of men.  and this lady is an idiot.

:agreed:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 10:07:03 AM »

If I wasn't so damn busy these days, I'd do it. :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr:

:witch:  If I lived in Atlanta, I would come with you to videotape it.  I even have a boxed set of Harry Potter paperback books, years 1 - 5, that I would be willing to dedicate to the cause.   :evillaugh:

ozymandias

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
Sad to say, I know somebody who also believes that the Harry Potter books are a gateway to witchcraft and satanism! ::)

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 02:23:03 PM »
I can't believe the unmitigated gall of this woman!  She has never read a single Harry Potter book, but she wants them all to be banned from the school library.  She lost, so she is appealing the court's decision.  At least she will probably only make childen more interested in reading the books.

Thank God for Religious Zealotry!!  ;) ::) ::) ::)

ozymandias

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
Maybe she needs a good ass fuck to loosen her up! :3some: :bananas: :reach:  She really needs to GET A LIFE!