Author Topic: Sex education  (Read 2762 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Sex education
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 06:07:33 AM »
You mean you couldn't already answer their questions yourself?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 06:27:27 AM by purposefulinsanity »

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 06:17:58 AM »
i would say something like:
when the vagina bleeds you need something to catch it.

as for when it bleeds:
right after your mom is cranky for a few days she begins to bleed for punishment.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 06:27:18 AM »
Since my daughter knows enough about sex to know where babies come from I told her that every month the lining of a woman's womb (where the baby grows when she's pregnant) gets ready to hold a baby.  If a baby isn't made this extra lining isn't needed and so it comes out  of the woman's body.  This is called a period and it just looks like blood.   Women use pads or tampons to catch this so they don't make a mess.   

Obviously I answered any questions she had about it.  I've also told her that right before I period women can get a little cranky because they feel crappy and that periods cause stomach and back ache sometimes.  Its not a very detailed response but it was enough for her at the age she was.  If you want to be able to give good answers to your daughters if they ask you I suggest you prepare some age-appropriate answers. I think my daughter was 5 when she asked.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 06:50:18 AM »
"Also, Suzie, vaginas sometimes bleed after sex with a well-hung black man.  This is normal, and actually part of the appeal.  Want to look at some pictures of black men with me?  We can play the 'guess which one would make my vagina bleed' game!"
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 07:51:29 AM »
I said age appropriate Peter  ::)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »
Not only would I call that age appropriate, I call it funny as hell.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
I said age appropriate Peter  ::)

At least Nomaken understands me.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »
Since my daughter knows enough about sex to know where babies come from I told her that every month the lining of a woman's womb (where the baby grows when she's pregnant) gets ready to hold a baby.  If a baby isn't made this extra lining isn't needed and so it comes out  of the woman's body.  This is called a period and it just looks like blood.   Women use pads or tampons to catch this so they don't make a mess.   

Obviously I answered any questions she had about it....  Its not a very detailed response but it was enough for her at the age she was.  If you want to be able to give good answers to your daughters if they ask you I suggest you prepare some age-appropriate answers. I think my daughter was 5 when she asked.

This is pretty much what I told my daughter when she was younger, except I did not tell her about tampons yet and I did not go into detail about cramps yet.  She had some further education at school, a video, which she watched with her female paraprofessional.  The other fifth grade girls watched it with other fifth grade girls and female teachers, while the fifth grade boys watched a slightly different film with other fifth grade boys and male teachers.  I went to school and watched the videos beforehand and the girl's video was all stuff I had already told her, just arranged differently.  It also covered using underarm deodorant and bathing daily, as well as how to put sanitary pads in your underwear.  I told them I always answer her questions as she asks them, so if she had any questions after seeing the video, they could answer her questions if they were comfortable doing so, or I could answer them after school if they would jot them down for me.  They answered a few questions for her.  I bought her some pads and showed her again how to put them in her underwear and I put that pair of underwear with the pad in a ziploc bag in the part of her backpack that has a change of clothes for her.  I also bought her own deodorant for sensitive skin and put it in her bathroom.  Her breasts have not developed enough yet for a bra, so I bought her some undershirts to wear.  Now she says, "I feel like such a grown-up!"

I recommend you find a good book about how your body works for your daughters, McJagger.  Then you can start reading it with them right away.  The one I found was actually called How Your Body Works, but I bought it when my daughter was two and it may not still be available as a new book.  It has two page child-level explanations about all sorts of things, including reproduction, sleep, the different organs of the body, etc.  I bought that book when my daughter was two.  This was just after she came out of my bathroom completely covered head to toe in sanitary pads like she thought they were stickers.  At first, we mostly looked at pictures in the book and I used few words.  Then we would read whichever subject in the book interested her.  We have covered reproduction, digestion, how babies grow, sleep and the heart many times.  Hope this helps.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 12:02:34 PM »

I never said it wasn't funny, but I was talking about a five year old.  If you think that's age appropriate I seriously pity any kids you do have in the future.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 12:10:28 PM »
thank you ladies.

and peter, i would never have that discussion with my daughters.
i hate to admit this, but...
i would prefer my daughters being lesbians than dating a black man.  there, i said it.
Misunderstood.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
i would prefer my daughters being lesbians than dating a black man.  there, i said it.

Actually, you've said it before.  How would you feel about them dating an arab guy?

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 12:29:21 PM »

I never said it wasn't funny, but I was talking about a five year old.  If you think that's age appropriate I seriously pity any kids you do have in the future.

I think that is age appropriate.  Older would be better simply because they'd probably understand it better, but it wouldnt do any harm.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 12:31:20 PM »
thank you ladies.

What if he's a Gentleman and respects, not only himself, but all of humanity, he's well educated and has a very high paying, stable job, treats you like a loving father and treats your daughter like his best frind, because he's deeply in love with her, and your daughter is deeply in love with him? I'd say we burn that bridge after we cross it, not before we get there, if you allow a mixing of metaphors.

But then, I'm bigotted against people who prejudge, too harshly.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 12:31:51 PM »

Actually, you've said it before.  How would you feel about them dating an arab guy?
i would think that the same premise applies.

my issues lie in how i percieve how men treat women.  i know i am generalizing, but have you ever listened to rap lyrics?
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »
thank you ladies.

What if he's a Gentleman and respects, not only himself, but all of humanity, he's well educated and has a very high paying, stable job, treats you like a loving father and treats your daughter like his best frind, because he's deeply in love with her, and your daughter is deeply in love with him? I'd say we burn that bridge after we cross it, not before we get there, if you allow a mixing of metaphors.

But then I'm bigotted against people who prejudge, too harshly.

i am simply hedging my bets here DD.  i want my daughters to fall for a man who respects them.

and i would agree that the example i show them as far as how i treat my own wife (and them) is probably the determining factor as to which type of man they end up with.
Misunderstood.