Author Topic: Turkey time  (Read 447 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Turkey time
« on: October 11, 2020, 08:37:10 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone whose growing season is already over.

I'm brining a turkey tonight and cooking it tomorrow even though there's no one to share it with but the cub and I'll end up freezing most of it. I want a little bit of holiday feeling. We'll see how the cooking goes with a toddler underfoot.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Turkey time
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 10:25:20 PM »
Turkey is more a Xmas thing here. Which is mid summer.

I do really like turkey with forcemeat stuffing (pork, gluten free multigrain bread, pistachio nuts). Roast pumpkin, roast potato, roast sweet potato. Brussels sprouts. And pavlova for dessert, with fresh mango and passionfruit.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 05:49:19 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone whose growing season is already over.

I'm brining a turkey tonight and cooking it tomorrow even though there's no one to share it with but the cub and I'll end up freezing most of it. I want a little bit of holiday feeling. We'll see how the cooking goes with a toddler underfoot.
When the kids were kids, grocery store back then sold half turkey breast. It was still too much meat for a single meal, but better than dealing with a whole turkey. Would buy one a few times a year and do it up with stuffing, cranberries, and other typical holiday sides. Family thought it was funny, but it's a nice meal, so seemed a shame to only have once or twice per year. :laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:42 AM »
If I were a white meat person, I might consider that, but it would have to be a thigh/drumstick to be tempting. The turkey breast is all likely going into soups, unless the cub decides he likes it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »
Yes, it's strange stores don't generally sell turkey wings and legs like they do chicken. People would probably buy them.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
You can buy large turkey legs in British supermarkets.  It's a cheap alternative to buying a small/medium roasting chicken if you're single or on a budget.

Turkey legs and lambs livers/kidneys are all the meat I could afford to have in my diet when I was at university.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
Livers and kidneys! :puke:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae