Author Topic: Car repairs  (Read 304 times)

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Car repairs
« on: June 09, 2020, 04:09:06 AM »
My wife's Hyundai needs two lower arms and brake disks fitting, and judging by the price of them the garage are fitting the gold ones.

£700.  Plus tax.  Which comes to (does the maths) the same as 7 days all inclusive for two in Turkey in September.  Stoopid Korean spare parts prices.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Car repairs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 04:37:47 AM »
Holy sheeeeet.

We have the same problem here with European cars like Volkswagens. Crazy expensive repairs.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 04:52:29 AM »
My wife's Hyundai needs two lower arms and brake disks fitting, and judging by the price of them the garage are fitting the gold ones.

£700.  Plus tax.  Which comes to (does the maths) the same as 7 days all inclusive for two in Turkey in September.  Stoopid Korean spare parts prices.

What in the hell, that's insane. That's literally how much it cost to go Jamaica the day I went for about 2 weeks (without the accomodation).

I've also heard it's the same problem with Land Rovers. I knew one guy who had one, unfortunately his engine had seized, the engine had coated him more than the actual car itself. They were better off just getting another car if anything.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 06:09:00 AM »
I once had a German friend who rode a British motorcycle. He used to holiday in Britain whenever it needed repairs. The savings he made on spare parts pretty much paid for the trip, and it was definitely a whole lot more fun for him doing it that way.  Dunno if that sort of logic would work for some of you guys, though.

(never thought I'd find myself contributing to this sort of thread  :laugh: can't drive, and have zero interest in mechanics )

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:16:00 AM by Walkie »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 06:27:33 AM »
I dread taking my car in this time. I am due for a "100,000 mile service,"  which is fairly involved. The time for oil change is here and I know that, "just to protect my investment," the car shop will have all kinds of things for me to have fixed.

But hey, I have not made a car payment in over two years. Only payments are on my wife's fancy car. That car payment is four hundred forty four dollars per month. Low miles on her car for now, though. Hers still smells new.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:29:25 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 06:35:14 PM »
Most recent thing I had done to my car was the brakes and that cost me $800. Next thing is the timing belt which I'm saving up for.

Then there's registration ($460) and roadside assistance ($100). My car is a money pit.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:08:01 PM »
Most recent thing I had done to my car was the brakes and that cost me $800. Next thing is the timing belt which I'm saving up for.

Then there's registration ($460) and roadside assistance ($100). My car is a money pit.

They all are. Aren't you glad you are rich enough to own such a nice one?
 :thumbup:

No joke, intended. I know people working, supporting a family and they do not even own a car.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »
I would like a newer car. My car is 26 years old. I've been driving it for 20 of those years.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 11:14:54 PM »
I would like a newer car. My car is 26 years old. I've been driving it for 20 of those years.

whoa, that's impressive, sounds like you've passed the point where buying a new one is by far the most economical option. What better excuse to treat yourself?

.... ummm, yeah, i;m still that same old  non-driving ignoramus as i was yesterday .  Buuuuut,  i once had this friend who had a habit of  asking my advice about every damned thing , including car maintainance :lol1:  ridiculous, but true. Eventually.  i gave in and  started actually  listening to his tedious rambles on the subject of his cars.  And  then I'd simply  reel back the appropriate sections  when he asked my advice.  :green:

Looks like some of it is still lodged in my brain . And looks like i havent lost the habit of reeling it back *sheeesh*

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 11:48:33 PM »
Shit, that costs more than spare parts to my Jag.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 12:52:09 AM »
Trading up is always fun and often just right.
If you lived close I would make you a helluva deal on an eight year old Jeep Patriot that my son is buying, but still won't drive.

I still play Daddy Taxi for both and they both are buying cars that just sit there.

I haven't figured this one out, yet.

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 04:33:23 AM »
My youngest is looking forward to learning to drive - when he eventually gets to go back to school after the plague they're sorting him driving lessons etc out as he'll be 17 soon. This is a Good Thing as he's pushing hard to learn to be more independent, and we'd struggle to pay for it ourselves. It will be painful enough adding him to my insurance... I might have to get a less powerful car, it would probably net out cheaper than keeping my current one going with a new driver on it.  :headhurts:

I've mostly had bangers, so as far as repairs go anything over a few hundred hasn't been economic so I've just scrapped them and got another clunker. My current car is nice though, I got a Toyota Verso a few years ago for £2800 which has been great - its a 7 seater dadmobile but has a 2.2 litre turbo diesel and goes like shit off a shovel. Other than odds and sods all it's needed is a new clutch a couple of years ago. So I hope I can afford to keep it when junior passes his test.  :apondering:
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 05:05:29 AM »
I drive an FCA product. Shit, parts are an absolute rort here and there's nowhere to buy them other than via a stealership or second hand.
Shopping aftermarket and paying for shipping from the USA is an option, but not every Dodge part compatible with my car (the USA didn't get the 6.4L Chrysler after 2015, so I have to cross-shop parts for a Dodge Charger/Challenger).
For example, the stereo and climate buttons on my centre dash just died for some reason :dunno:. I haven't checked all the fuses yet, but if it's the actual button assembly a Dodge replacement is incompatible because the buttons have different labels on them. Unless I can do a very delicate button transplant.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 05:46:15 AM »
Trading up is always fun and often just right.
If you lived close I would make you a helluva deal on an eight year old Jeep Patriot that my son is buying, but still won't drive.

I still play Daddy Taxi for both and they both are buying cars that just sit there.

I haven't figured this one out, yet.
My parents had a Jeep Compass. They bought it new and it was very nice except it guzzled fuel. So much so that they traded it in and now have a Holden Captiva.

I wonder what it is about your offspring. I couldn't wait to drive when I was that age.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 06:28:44 AM »
My youngest is looking forward to learning to drive -
  :apondering:

I hope that works out for you all as well as it can. I feel like I am in an endless Star Trek time loop at times.

"We already did all this!"  Then ...

Oddly and a bit off topic, my daughter ordered one of those expensive E-Prime Air Razor scooters. She came home on her first try of this dangerous thing after about four minutes with a fairly ugly shoulder scrape and minimal knee scrape. I was refilling my tea glass, readying to join her outside for this and in that length of time, disaster.
I told her she was parked until she gets a fucking helmet.

I think the driving thing is simple lack of confidence. Just trry to argue though and you will see confidence.
 :apondering: