Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
Re: I quit
« Reply #375 on: July 27, 2020, 05:56:12 PM »
Why can't you move home?

There are many, but here's some of the main reasons:

- Emma has various physical disabilities like EDS and as a result, is heavily dependent on the NHS - Ireland's HSE is bad in comparison and I don't feel confident that they would give her the same services or level of care. Neither of us realised the full extent of this until I moved over, because she was nowhere as physically bad back then outside the knee operations she needed.
- Bad blood with family which makes staying with them/near them nearly impossible. I can barely tolerate my mother for a week due to her narcissistic tendencies and my dad is another story onto itself.
- Have amassed a lot of stuff due to hobbies etc, which would make it very difficult and prohibitively expensive for me to move everything. Moving my stuff over from Ireland was a pain in the bollocks and that was just my room, imagine moving an entire house worth.  :zombiefuck:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:58:12 PM by wretchmachine »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #376 on: July 27, 2020, 05:58:31 PM »
I miss Butterflies.

Hi Schleed. Nice to see you, and it's lovely to hear that you've settled down with Emma. I'm genuinely thrilled for you :thumbup:

Okay, that's freaky that you suddenly came back like that  :LOL:

Have you been lurking?

In a manner of speaking, yes.

A month or so ago, I turned up and saw the ALM account, and assumed Les had finally had the meltdown to end all meltdowns :headexplode:

Been checking in every so often since then, out of ghoulish interest, waiting to see what happened next  :popcorn:

Now that the Les has claimed that he isn't ALM, and put my name forward as a possible suspect, I thought I should sign in and say no. Wasn't me :police:

He loves to blame everybody else.  Alcoholism does that.

What alcoholism precisely, Ozy?
I do drink a four pack of borbon and cola premixes on a Friday. I understand wine is your drink.
Unless you have something to evidence otherwise, wtf are you on about. Specifics man. Stop being an immoral lying little weasel
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #377 on: July 27, 2020, 05:59:29 PM »
Why can't you move home?

- Emma has various physical disabilities like EDS and as a result, is heavily dependent on the NHS - Ireland's HSE is bad in comparison and I don't feel confident that they would give her the same services or level of care. Neither of us realised the full extent of this until I moved over, because she was nowhere as physically bad back then outside the knee operations she needed.
- Bad blood with family which makes staying with them/near them nearly impossible. I can barely tolerate my mother for a week due to her narcissistic tendencies and my dad is another story onto itself.
- Have amassed a lot of stuff due to hobbies etc, which would make it very difficult and prohibitively expensive for me to move everything. Moving my stuff over from Ireland was a pain in the bollocks and that was just my room, imagine moving an entire house's worth.  :zombiefuck:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe things might change one day?

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #378 on: July 27, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »
Why can't you move home?

- Have amassed a lot of stuff due to hobbies etc, which would make it very difficult and prohibitively expensive for me to move everything. Moving my stuff over from Ireland was a pain in the bollocks and that was just my room, imagine moving an entire house's worth.  :zombiefuck:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe things might change one day?

Perhaps one day, but times are uncertain at the moment.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #379 on: July 27, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »
It should be noted that it's part of the expat experience to complain about stuff.

Like if you live somewhere like Jakarta or Bangkok there is no way that you can't complain about the traffic. Or the air pollution.

It's important to keep things in perspective, like you are obviously doing Butterflies. Keep it at a level of "I love this and this, but these other things annoy me".

A lot of expats get into the habit of expressing opinions that might be described as cultural superiority complexes at best. I'm sure that you've encountered them.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #380 on: July 27, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »
I do drink a four pack of borbon and cola premixes on a Friday. I understand wine is your drink.

Al pours those bourbon and cola premixes on his coco pops in the morning.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #381 on: July 27, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »
I always found "expat" to be a weird term. As far as I'm concerned, they're migrants. There seems to be a political bent to it eg. white migrants are more often considered "expats" but non-white migrants are more often considered "immigrants".

I wouldn't consider myself an expat despite now living in the UK.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:12:28 PM by wretchmachine »

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #382 on: July 27, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
It should be noted that it's part of the expat experience to complain about stuff.

Like if you live somewhere like Jakarta or Bangkok there is no way that you can't complain about the traffic. Or the air pollution.

It's important to keep things in perspective, like you are obviously doing Butterflies. Keep it at a level of "I love this and this, but these other things annoy me".

A lot of expats get into the habit of expressing opinions that might be described as cultural superiority complexes at best. I'm sure that you've encountered them.

No, no. I'm not complaining. I love this place. It's the first time in my life I've lived somewhere that's made me happy.

I just miss a few things from back home, and most of them are takeaway foods :laugh:

Actually, food is just about the only thing I miss.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #383 on: July 27, 2020, 06:34:18 PM »

No, no. I'm not complaining. I love this place. It's the first time in my life I've lived somewhere that's made me happy.

I just miss a few things from back home, and most of them are takeaway foods :laugh:

I totally get it. You are mentioning a minor thing that annoys you, or something that you miss about home.

I'm sure you've encountered a few obnoxious expats? I certainly have, pretty much everywhere that I've been an expat. Hopefully I haven't been one of them too often.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #384 on: July 27, 2020, 06:44:37 PM »
I always found "expat" to be a weird term. As far as I'm concerned, they're migrants. There seems to be a political bent to it eg. white migrants are more often considered "expats" but non-white migrants are more often considered "immigrants".

I wouldn't consider myself an expat despite now living in the UK.

Yes, it's an overused term.

I think of expats as people who move to another country for a specific assignment. In my case it was mostly on IT projects and about half of my fellow expats were usually non-white (East Asian or Indian), but that didn't stop them from being considered expats.

Normally the right to stay in that country is tied to a work permit linked to a specific employer and role.

I would think of IT workers from India who are in Australia on short term contracts and conditional work permits as expats, 100%.

Retirees who retire to a country with cheaper cost of living and warmer weather are a bit of a grey area (no pun intended), and they are often referred to as expats or as expat retirees.

The real wanky expression is tourists who refer to themselves as "travelers".

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #385 on: July 27, 2020, 07:12:08 PM »

I totally get it. You are mentioning a minor thing that annoys you, or something that you miss about home.

I'm sure you've encountered a few obnoxious expats? I certainly have, pretty much everywhere that I've been an expat. Hopefully I haven't been one of them too often.

Surprisingly, no. I really don't meet expats, at least not British ones. There are places they hang out. I don't go to those places, and it seems I'm just not part of that world. I'm happy enough with that.

I'm much more likely to run into a British stag party, and they are obnoxious :laugh:

The friends I've met here are all locals, and some European students.

There are quite a few Russian and Chinese people where I live, but they live behind big walls, and only leave their houses when in cars. I've never bumped into them in the street, and we've never exchanged more than a wave, or a "szia".

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #386 on: July 27, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »

Like I said, if it wasn't you then someone has gone to a great deal of trouble.

If you did post this on quora, do you have a link?

Link removed by Jack

There we go. Man of the hour AllLivesMatter. So going to hide behind your nom de plume or going to admit who you are?

I am betting it is Odeon or one of his familiars. But it could easily be some other petty cowardly bullhurt troll? Perhaps Butterflies, Buttcoffee or some rainy faced ex-AFFer with a grudge. I am momentarily curious.
Is that link something you would prefer Admins remove from the site?

I do not bring my shit from outside the forum in here nor other's people shit from outside the forum in here. I don't dox. What other members do is there own business. I am not going to cry about it. I do not really give a shit about ALM themselves. Mildly curious but even that curiosity is falling
Didn't expect any crying, but considering past similar instances am a bit surprised it hasn't been removed.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #387 on: July 27, 2020, 08:10:28 PM »
Surprisingly, no. I really don't meet expats, at least not British ones. There are places they hang out. I don't go to those places, and it seems I'm just not part of that world. I'm happy enough with that.

I'm much more likely to run into a British stag party, and they are obnoxious :laugh:

The friends I've met here are all locals, and some European students.

There are quite a few Russian and Chinese people where I live, but they live behind big walls, and only leave their houses when in cars. I've never bumped into them in the street, and we've never exchanged more than a wave, or a "szia".

Ah, that's excellent, and a much better way to keep a positive outlook on life in Hungary.

Expat life in Central Europe tends to revolve around excessive alcohol consumption and depressing and repetitive conversations. It's good that you've avoided that.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #388 on: July 27, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »
I find the fact that we got so epically trolled... amusing.

There are still several possible explanations. I still think there is an outside chance that it was Al losing the plot and he is now back to reclaim his "Al-ness". But the more I think about it, the less likely it seems.

Which brings us to someone with a LOT of time on their hands trolling us. And they did it well.

Maybe time to have a laugh about it and move on?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #389 on: July 27, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
It was more convincing than most trolls we get around here, that's for sure.  :laugh:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.