Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: I quit
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »

Ontario is too eager right now

Everyone is too eager.

As an introvert that never went out before this shit hit the fan this was a little nuts when it came to local shopping when you ran out of milk, but I can't say it really affected me.

Watching everyone else totally lose their shit though...was unsettling to say the least. I guess I never understood that social interaction was almost like a moderate drinking problem to the normal set. The withdrawal was downright ugly in some.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2020, 03:34:33 PM »
We had protesters around here today. Well, in Gothenburg, the second-largest city in Sweden, which is about 15 km away from where I live. They were supposed to be no more than 50 - the maximum allowed number of people gathering - but apparently there were hundreds or even thousands. Meanwhile health care workers have begged and pleaded with people to not go out and protest because they're already swamped with work.

I do understand and sympathise with the protesters in the US where racial injustices are ongoing and have been for hundreds of years, but here? A show-your-support action is misguided at best. Our society is very, very far from perfect and racism does exist, but all they achieve here is a covid petri dish where no lives really matter.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »
We had protesters around here today. Well, in Gothenburg, the second-largest city in Sweden, which is about 15 km away from where I live. They were supposed to be no more than 50 - the maximum allowed number of people gathering - but apparently there were hundreds or even thousands. Meanwhile health care workers have begged and pleaded with people to not go out and protest because they're already swamped with work.

I do understand and sympathise with the protesters in the US where racial injustices are ongoing and have been for hundreds of years, but here? A show-your-support action is misguided at best. Our society is very, very far from perfect and racism does exist, but all they achieve here is a covid petri dish where no lives really matter.

QFT!   :plus:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »
If it was 'Black Lives Matter TOO' do you think the all lives matter fucktards would get it?  :wanker:
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2020, 08:17:50 PM »
If it was 'Black Lives Matter TOO' do you think the all lives matter fucktards would get it?  :wanker:

I don't know, Dunc, I would hope so, even if it was just a fraction of the magatard/fucktards.  According to what I am seeing even trumpolini's fucktard base is eroding.   I have hope. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2020, 08:52:13 PM »
 :dunno:

Offline ALL LIVES MATTER

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »
Anyone with any introspection and understanding of what is going on in culture HAS to back Conservative voices if they are honest and give a damn.
I see the word "Conservative" & I now associate it with sane.  I see "Left" or "Liberal" and without reading more, I groan inwardly

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »
Where did it all go so wrong for you, I wonder.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »
Anyone with any introspection and understanding of what is going on in culture HAS to back Conservative voices if they are honest and give a damn.
I see the word "Conservative" & I now associate it with sane.  I see "Left" or "Liberal" and without reading more, I groan inwardly
Ah! I now see how it is that you keep dismissing the rest of us as "dishonest". In your world-view, all  rational  people naturally share your opinions. My Dad had the same POV, although, intersetingly,  he espoused a number of different opinions from yourself.  He was exceedingly hard to get along with too. I enjoyed arguing with him and he enjoed arguing back, but  everybody else was careful not to say anything to upset him, amd would duck out of sight when we argued on account of his explosive temper (fortunately, all bark and no bite) .

Seems that both you and my Dad represent a rather large subset of the Aspie population. Clearly we're certainly not all the same, so attempts to explain your subgroupt in terms of any  familiar autism paradigm would be bound to be over-simplistic, and might do more harm than good.  But let's explain my own POV briefly :  I've noticed that we're apt to overvalue rationality, especially when young; and to identify with what you might call the left side of our brains, even to the point of suppressing everything else. And that makes us natural born bigots. Some of us escape that mould, and develop an equally strong capacity for creative and empathetic thinking , some of us don't.

I shouldn't think I've convinced you, I've almost certainly offended you. But that's my honest POV believe it or not. I really loved my Dad . He did much less harm than my NT mother did, and we had a deep and enduring bond that i never had with anybody else in my family.  But he was definitely a raging bigot, and so are you, I'm sorry to say.

Note, I'm not trying to say that only bigots espouse right wing beliefs nor that bigots can never  espouse left wing beliefs. Seems to that  whole pletheora of conflicting beliefs can equally appeal to different individuals, depending mostly on their  life experience., and everybody's "truth"is inevitably different from everybody else's "truth". That's why it pays to pay close attention to others: that is certain to  expand our world view , even if we wholly disagee with their conclusions.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:37:07 PM by Walkie »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
In other words, it's a common negative aspie trait to think you're right and the rest of humanity is wrong.  :zoinks:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
In other words, it's a common negative aspie trait to think you're right and the rest of humanity is wrong.  :zoinks:
ummmm, yeah. i kinda like think that my post had a tad more grist to it than that.  but...yeah  :laugh:

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2020, 05:49:22 PM »
re.  this ALL LIVES MATTER thing, i feel stupidly impelled to put my head in the noose.

I didn't, at first sight,  see WTFwas wrong with that statement, no more than Al did. I guess I haven;t come across it often enough, nor in the right sort of context, to appreciate it's usage as a
racist dog whistle.
And when I researched it, found out that I'm not the only naive one, not by a long chalk.

To my mind (go on laugh, insult, unfriend me or whatever) I imagined that as a sort of rallying call, for all of the oppressed minorities (who would surely make up an enormous unstoppable majority ) to get bhind the same banner.   I mean, much like when British gays marched alongside  the striking miners, recognising that both groups had a lot in common (both being victims of police brutality) . That kind of solidarity on a universal scale would be bloody phenomenal, and- idealist that i am- i still live in hope of it actually happening someday.

But, Ok, Ok, I;ve done my rearch now and know that some people mean STFU about black people when they say  it., and that casts a big shadow over anybody else who innocently picks up that slogan.   Which  can't be ignored, but its a pity.  Some of us (me inclided, evidently) just can't keep up with what ain't considered politically correct, and sometimes baulk at what a bloody great minefield that's become, which doesn't help anybody's cause.... not unless they have a "divide and conquer"agenda.

Here's a pretty good explanation of why that slogan is offebsive, for anybody else who might be confused

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/explaining-lives-matter-actually-means-say/

Got it now. And will be very careful not to ever say that, But I really don't like the verbal  witch-hunting approach of some of the anti-racist folk . We've had way too much of that in Britain lately (I mean, like,  people would burn you in effgy as a "racist"", just for supporting Brexit, and refused to listen to any  of the non-racist reasons, because they already know what ypu think, FFS )  It's hateful annd divisive.  And now I'm stumped as to where I stand.  When these BLM demos broke out, I was quite simply wildly enthusiastic, but now it seems too much of this verbal policing has crept in. Can I honestly and realistically support BLM , whilst still deploring that?  I dunno, I really don't.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 05:50:59 PM by Walkie »

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »
It pays to remember that something like half the population identifies with a set of ideologies that I disagree with.

It is all too easy to fall into a trap where one consumes only information (propaganda) that reinforces your own prejudices, paints opposing views as stupid and even evil, and does not even prompt consideration of opposing viewpoints. It is pretty easy to spot people who have fallen into this trap by their sweeping generalisations and general sense of wonder that some people don't believe the same things they do.

As painful as it might be, one needs to consider all viewpoints and understand them well enough to make strong arguments based on viewpoints that you don't agree with.

One of the ways to put this into good use is to "steel man" your opponents views. This can be used where someone makes a stupid blanket statement with no facts or logic to back it up.... and then you describe their argument and the reasons for supporting their argument much better than they can and ask if they agree. THEN you are on a good footing to describe where you disagree.

If you can't do this, then you may need to reconsider whether you have considered all the facts and come to a strong and backable conclusion, or whether you have been swayed by propaganda and/or personal bias.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2020, 05:58:17 PM »
Walkie, that excessive policing of incorrect speech or mistaken views is sometimes referred to as "cancel culture".

I don't like it. It is much more helpful to try to help people to be better, to explain why they are wrong.

Give them a few chances at least to understand and to at least try to stop being an ignorant boofhead.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2020, 12:25:41 AM »

:lol1:

- Albert Einstein