Author Topic: I quit  (Read 5712 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: I quit
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
Sitting out enjoying the birds, my coffee, pipe and dog, I heard a large noise fifty or so feet away. Then some male grunting, whooping and laughter.
My next door neighbor, a fireman who works odd hours and arrives home at even odder hours full of caffeine, so yeah, probably another early morning BBQ/drunk fest with his buddies or something.

Then hammering on metal sounds. OK, now I am interested. He just bought a huge anvil, over seven hundred pounds. Took four guys to unload it. KOOL find!

BUT, they were putting away their hammer when I approached, because they had just been issued these brand new, air powered pepper guns. Basically it is a paintball gun of very high quality and power, but it shoots little latex balls of pepper powder instead of paint.
They just got four for each truck company (six guys) and are supposed to take them home and become familiar before training begins today.
Of course this is what we all cackled about for the next half hour.

Another sign of our times, though. The fact that the fire department feels the need to be able to disperse crowds in order to do their jobs being taken so lightly speaks volumes.

Doesn't arming them move them from "Heroes" to "Oppressors" in one swoop?

One way of looking at it and why I made the comment.
The firemen normally do not go armed, since they are supported by a police presence, which is WELL armed.
They laughed at this "little"  gun, though. It is just smaller by about 25% than an AR type carbine and thirty round magazine.

The ladder hose guy said he already has one of the most powerful weapons in town with his hose cannon.
 :orly:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »
Sitting out enjoying the birds, my coffee, pipe and dog, I heard a large noise fifty or so feet away. Then some male grunting, whooping and laughter.
My next door neighbor, a fireman who works odd hours and arrives home at even odder hours full of caffeine, so yeah, probably another early morning BBQ/drunk fest with his buddies or something.

Then hammering on metal sounds. OK, now I am interested. He just bought a huge anvil, over seven hundred pounds. Took four guys to unload it. KOOL find!

BUT, they were putting away their hammer when I approached, because they had just been issued these brand new, air powered pepper guns. Basically it is a paintball gun of very high quality and power, but it shoots little latex balls of pepper powder instead of paint.
They just got four for each truck company (six guys) and are supposed to take them home and become familiar before training begins today.
Of course this is what we all cackled about for the next half hour.

Another sign of our times, though. The fact that the fire department feels the need to be able to disperse crowds in order to do their jobs being taken so lightly speaks volumes.

Doesn't arming them move them from "Heroes" to "Oppressors" in one swoop?

One way of looking at it and why I made the comment.
The firemen normally do not go armed, since they are supported by a police presence, which is WELL armed.
They laughed at this "little"  gun, though. It is just smaller by about 25% than an AR type carbine and thirty round magazine.

The ladder hose guy said he already has one of the most powerful weapons in town with his hose cannon.
 :orly:

Whever you mix a militarised force with a protesting mob, it's only a matter of time until something very bad happens.  #BloodySunday
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »

I tend to agree with that.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2020, 01:03:57 AM »
Bad things are already happening.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ALL LIVES MATTER

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »
Surprising so many people terrified of infecting Covidand wanting to be locked down indefinitely & to stay in their homes and never come out for fear of infecting or being infected. Now everyone is out and looting and not giving a damn about social distancing. Guess Covid is over

African-American Black people are not similar to the Aboriginal people.
Black Americans follow a story closer to the Convicts and Aboriginals follow a story closer to the Native Americans.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
Yeah it is kind of ironic.

I've heard people say that the protests are important enough that it's worth risking covid, but there seem to be an awful lot more who are just saying screw it, as if the numbers weren't still high.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
Changing your username to All Lives Matter is a shit thing to do, Al.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
Changing your username to All Lives Matter is a shit thing to do, Al.

Agreed!   :plus: 

Your comparing apples to oranges to bananas.  The african americans were brought here as slaves, now it seems that they are being hunted down like animals, aborigines were also enslaved as well as hunted down like animals, native americans were enslaved originally and then hunted down like animals.  A lot of similarities, and not many differences.  I remember back in the 70's, my friend Fred, spoke of an Australian policy of keeping Australia WHITE.  And he agreed with it, one of many contradictions of the man, I knew!    :(  So how did that work out?  How did apartheid work out? 

The histories are there, I've read many of them and it's sickening and horrifying about the many forms of white privilege over the centuries and the horror stories of white on white, black on black, asian on asian atrocities.  I could go on and on.  But I'll stop here with this one thought.

THOSE WHO FORGET HISTORY ARE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT! 

"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
Ok, that was a bit wordy, so I'll simplify it.  In this country, "All lives Matter" has become associated with the groups that align with trumpolini.  As in "All lives Matter"........if your white!  "If your black or otherwise, they don't care!"   White Power, errr, PRIVILEGE is all they care about.

Have a nice day!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
"All Lives Matter" is a racist dog whistle.

If someone says "Save The Rainforest" we know that they don't mean "fuck all other types of forest". We don't insist that they say "Save All Forests".
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2020, 02:48:33 AM »
I was just wondering what Al would say about the current mess. I guess I know, now. Bigots will be bigots.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2020, 03:35:48 AM »
I strongly support the protesters.

But nobody who thought the virus was real suddenly thinks it has gone away now, like Trump said it would in April. The protests are a disaster for containment and, barring a major miracle, the 2nd wave late this year is gonna be hell.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2020, 07:32:40 AM »
That's the only reason I didn't go to my local protest although the police made sure to give it enough space to accommodate all of the people and still help them distance.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2020, 09:01:44 AM »
I strongly support the protesters.

But nobody who thought the virus was real suddenly thinks it has gone away now, like Trump said it would in April. The protests are a disaster for containment and, barring a major miracle, the 2nd wave late this year is gonna be hell.

That.

Nothing local really here, I'm deep in Trump country close to the WV line...some protests in Pittsburgh.

SO opened the bar Friday after the county got the green light. Trying to enforce social distancing in a bar is like herding cats. Not to mention half of the population here will NOT wear masks.

Thankfully we're pretty rural and the cases have been very few, but aware that could change in a heartbeat with how this is reported to spread...it's worrisome to say the least.

My diabetic MIL with COPD is chomping at the bit to go out to eat and back to her marathon shopping trips.

I'm afraid the next two months might morph into one hell of a shitshow.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2020, 09:48:56 AM »
Very true. Yesterday we got: Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam has issued a clear warning that Canada could see “explosive growth” in new cases if reopening is not done with caution.

Ontario is too eager right now
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad