Author Topic: I quit  (Read 5707 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: I quit
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2020, 07:35:07 AM »
It's so Trump can tell everyone how he took another necessary decision to protect the US... ::)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
I haven't been following any numbers outside of the US and Canada. The orange cheeto takes the stupidest shit to try and bolster himself.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
Huh. Covid-19 has even  infected Al's " Ï quit " thread.  :LOL:

...and just when we were beginning to turn it into a cosy little leftist chatroom  :laugh:

Anyways this little comment from DD got me thinking:

Reminds me of traveling in Canada and being amazed at how clean the trains were and feeling shame for my own county and how so many mistreat treasures like state funded transportation.

I mean, for a moment that made me wonder if America was actually enviable in this respect :laugh: . But, no,  I looked it up, and it's just the same shoddy deal we have in the UK, since privatisation . In our case, public transport absorbs an awful lot of taxplayers money in the form of subsidies (about the same as in the  US) but that doesn't stop it becoming increasingly run down and  inefficient as well as increasingly  costly for the user . Outside London, almost nobody uses it unless they really don't have any other  choice; and the dwindling passenger numbers only make matters worse.  And that inevitably mean a lower grade of traveller on average, because aside from pensioners (whose local travel is entirely subsidised, in the form of free passes), schoolchildren (ditto)  and low-paid workers, you've still got all the drunks, crackheads, rowdy youths  etc using public transport, and becoming ever more conspicuous  by dint  of the absence of other groups  Plus,  now that we no longer have bus conductors (it's cheaper to get the driver to do both jobs) the antisocial behaviour on buses is almost totally out-of-control, and bus journeys are grindingly slow  It's a grim situation, created not by bad people so much as  bad political choices. .

Found an article online that neatly explains the difference between US and Canada:

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/10/9118199/public-transportation-subway-buses

It seems you can improve things considerably  without opting for State ownership.  Japan has also done a pretty good  with subsidised private transport (but structured very differently than ours) .

Still, most UK travellers are thoroughly disillusioned with privatisation, and want  to go back to a fully nationalised system . And that very much includes myself. Now that private transport is such a huge threat to the environment, I don't think we can afford to mess about. Investing enough in in  public transport to create a really  attractive and affordable alternative to travelling by car ought to be a priority. Once people have got themselves a taxed, insured, roadworthy car, then it's a damned sight cheaper, as well as as a damned sight more convenient, a damned sight less time-consuming and a damned sight more pleasant to just use the thing for every trip (at least here in Britain). Public transport has to up its game considerably to stand a chance of competing with that.  :(

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:04:38 PM by Walkie »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2020, 12:09:01 PM »
I haven't been following any numbers outside of the US and Canada. The orange cheeto takes the stupidest shit to try and bolster himself.

Think of it like this:   "M-m-m-MY Corona!!"
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »

Think of it like this:   "M-m-m-MY Corona!!"
:lol1: :plus:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2020, 06:27:16 AM »

I can not be the one to call it, but I feel I have ruined that song forever.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2020, 07:35:44 AM »
Huh. Covid-19 has even  infected Al's " Ï quit " thread.  :LOL:

...and just when we were beginning to turn it into a cosy little leftist chatroom  :laugh:

Anyways this little comment from DD got me thinking:

Reminds me of traveling in Canada and being amazed at how clean the trains were and feeling shame for my own county and how so many mistreat treasures like state funded transportation.

I mean, for a moment that made me wonder if America was actually enviable in this respect :laugh: . But, no,  I looked it up, and it's just the same shoddy deal we have in the UK, since privatisation . In our case, public transport absorbs an awful lot of taxplayers money in the form of subsidies (about the same as in the  US) but that doesn't stop it becoming increasingly run down and  inefficient as well as increasingly  costly for the user . Outside London, almost nobody uses it unless they really don't have any other  choice; and the dwindling passenger numbers only make matters worse.  And that inevitably mean a lower grade of traveller on average, because aside from pensioners (whose local travel is entirely subsidised, in the form of free passes), schoolchildren (ditto)  and low-paid workers, you've still got all the drunks, crackheads, rowdy youths  etc using public transport, and becoming ever more conspicuous  by dint  of the absence of other groups  Plus,  now that we no longer have bus conductors (it's cheaper to get the driver to do both jobs) the antisocial behaviour on buses is almost totally out-of-control, and bus journeys are grindingly slow  It's a grim situation, created not by bad people so much as  bad political choices. .

Found an article online that neatly explains the difference between US and Canada:

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/10/9118199/public-transportation-subway-buses

It seems you can improve things considerably  without opting for State ownership.  Japan has also done a pretty good  with subsidised private transport (but structured very differently than ours) .

Still, most UK travellers are thoroughly disillusioned with privatisation, and want  to go back to a fully nationalised system . And that very much includes myself. Now that private transport is such a huge threat to the environment, I don't think we can afford to mess about. Investing enough in in  public transport to create a really  attractive and affordable alternative to travelling by car ought to be a priority. Once people have got themselves a taxed, insured, roadworthy car, then it's a damned sight cheaper, as well as as a damned sight more convenient, a damned sight less time-consuming and a damned sight more pleasant to just use the thing for every trip (at least here in Britain). Public transport has to up its game considerably to stand a chance of competing with that.  :(

I have to walk back some of the comments on UK rail travel.  Until a couple of years ago I was a frequent commuter on trains.  I find them better, more regular and many times cleaner than before privatisation.  Nationalised British Rail was a byword for shitty - when they were running between strikes.  They were literally a punchline to jokes.  People calling for the railways to be nationalised are generally not old enough to remember just how shit they were.

Long hall between large cities can be expensive, especially in and out of London.  That could be addressed to take traffic off the roads.  If HS2 gets finished and travel subsidised that could be nice.  It would remove traffic from the regional airports too.

Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:38 PM »
On the subject of privatisation and the state of the trains prior to privatisation: one of the cornerstones of neoliberalism is privatizing public assets.

Now it is difficult to justify a public asset or service that is in good shape and that people enjoy the benefit of. So first you need to defund the asset or service, demotivate the employees, get it to the point where people are calling for something to be done. THEN you sell it off to private capital.

Once you are aware of this you start to notice that it is in the process of happening in other areas.

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2020, 04:47:47 PM »
OK!  I QUIT!

No more humanity for me!

How in hell does building community awareness of instances of police brutality by protesting include destroying a Target store, many other stores looted as well, burning parked cars, overturning cars, bludgeoning old ladies in wheel chairs and hosing them over with fire extinguisher chemicals? So many other atrocities ...

It became a riot over in Minneapolis.
Talking about the four cops who allowed the death of a suspect due to the crushing of is neck for eight minutes.

Nothing good here.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:49:35 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
Once it gets to that level, what you are seeing in Minneapolis, it's not protest.

It's people becoming so angry that social order breaks down.

There is an idea called "the social contract" and it's gotta work both ways.

Why are people so angry and what can we do about it? Tell people to be less angry?

Also I thought it was 3 cops who allowed the death. And one cop who did a lot more than just "allow" the death.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
I wouldn't be sure it was anything to do with anger, not without further info. to confirm.

There are a small minority of people (mostly young men) who get a buzz out of violent confrontation and will join any protest for the chance to provoke and take part in the violence.  I went to college with one of them. He cheerfully admitted to me that he didn't give a damn about any of the issues; he was there for personal gratification, simple as that.  I was stunned, because i'd never even heard of that phenomenon before; but I've certainly  heard of it, from any number of  sources, since.

I'm guessing there were probably a few like that guy invollved.  They should not be dignified with the term "protestor", not f we can possibly avoid it, nor confused with the genuine protestors. No use telling them that they're bringing shame on whichever movement they purport to represent.  They really don't give a damn. That  college "friend" told me  he didn't even care which of two opposing factions he joined,  he was that far from caring about social justice or anything like that.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2020, 07:50:18 PM »
There's video out that that one of the "looters" at an Auto Zone in MN is actually a cop. That happens a lot in situations like this. At the G20 summit in Toronto, they found out that it was people protesting who had burnt out the cop cars, it was the cops who had done it to make the public more sympathetic to their cause by blaming the people protesting.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:59 PM »
There's video out that that one of the "looters" at an Auto Zone in MN is actually a cop. That happens a lot in situations like this. At the G20 summit in Toronto, they found out that it was people protesting who had burnt out the cop cars, it was the cops who had done it to make the public more sympathetic to their cause by blaming the people protesting.
It's a pity that not-so-simple truth rarely makes front page news  :( and even when it does, it comes so long after the event that most  people already have a different picture permanently burned into their brains :(.
We need to teach kids to withhold judgement, from an early age, methinks .

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2020, 08:23:41 PM »
Sorry - typo. That should says it WASN'T the protestors who burnt out the cop cars, it was the cops. My brain is mush tonight.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2020, 08:27:30 PM »
^NP, i guessed you meant WASN'T. Shoulda thought to correct that when quoting you. Sorry!