Educational

Author Topic: I quit  (Read 5773 times)

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: I quit
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2020, 05:23:40 PM »

The virus also keeps mutating. I can't remember which article I read (although it was from a credible source) but it has mutated in a way that makes it more contagious than it was previously.

Ontario (Canada) has started Phase 1 of a three step plan to re-open the economy. They opened up parks so people could get outside but stressed social distancing. Apparently the 10k people in Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto didn't get the memo. People were packed in there. So now we have a spike from Mothers Day and since last weekend was a holiday weekend, we'll have another spike in about a week. People are exhausted and they're choosing not to follow the guidelines now. We'll be fucked before the fall hits.

It was found to be more contagious than first thought, but was that a mutation or a change in data quality?  It's not like China was handing out real numbers, so statistics changed as more reliable data was added to the mix.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »

The virus also keeps mutating. I can't remember which article I read (although it was from a credible source) but it has mutated in a way that makes it more contagious than it was previously.

Ontario (Canada) has started Phase 1 of a three step plan to re-open the economy. They opened up parks so people could get outside but stressed social distancing. Apparently the 10k people in Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto didn't get the memo. People were packed in there. So now we have a spike from Mothers Day and since last weekend was a holiday weekend, we'll have another spike in about a week. People are exhausted and they're choosing not to follow the guidelines now. We'll be fucked before the fall hits.

It was found to be more contagious than first thought, but was that a mutation or a change in data quality?  It's not like China was handing out real numbers, so statistics changed as more reliable data was added to the mix.
That's also very true.

We need a good vaccine. Not like the flu vaccine which is about 40% effective in a good year. Or we need a very effective treatment. The alternatives don't bear thinking about. None of us can afford further lockdowns either.
We do. I can't do anything outside of my property that would even come close to resembling my old life until we have one that works and is well circulated.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »
And the second wave is starting and growing in the US.   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2020, 12:40:16 AM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2020, 12:43:02 AM »

All viruses mutate. This one has done it a lot - it's how scientists are able to trace its origins.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2020, 12:46:21 AM »
We need a good vaccine. Not like the flu vaccine which is about 40% effective in a good year. Or we need a very effective treatment. The alternatives don't bear thinking about. None of us can afford further lockdowns either.

Yup. Fingers crossed.

With the dozens of vaccine trials underway, hopefully some will work well enough.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2020, 06:03:01 AM »

All viruses mutate. This one has done it a lot - it's how scientists are able to trace its origins.
Mutating so (in the same way that many other biohazards do) has allowed the scientists to identify "strains" within this strain, based upon how each infection affects the host or hostZZ.
Lots of study! Follow and document each case. Lots and lots of data to sift through!

Makes me think of the old Knack song,  "My, My, My  ...  M-m-m-MY Corona!!"
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2020, 06:12:20 AM »
So it looks like the herd immunity approach in Sweden didn't work out so well:

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Sweden-herd-immunity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Desktop)&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR2SIuMa_zpqegeip3e23rjA0x45tfVlDfQpwOFCZS7VluI1UTU9TAvCA5o

Their strategy wasn't herd immunity as such but to do what most other countries did but without enforcing lockdown.

... and your country seems to have a large percentage of cooperative populace.

Kind of a nice thing to see. Reminds me of traveling in Canada and being amazed at how clean the trains were and feeling shame for my own county and how so many mistreat treasures like state funded transportation.

I (enjoy?) hate to see these redneck assholes who get on national television here in the states, wearing a wife-beater and carrying a long gun on a sling, shouting shit like, "I live in a FREE country and you can't tell ME I have to wear a mask!"
Too many of those, here. We HAD to close some just because of assholes like those guys.

Someone should remind these guys that 1776 already happened.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:17:28 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2020, 06:27:11 AM »

No they don't. Viruses that are DNA encoded hardly change at all. But viruses that are RNA encoded do
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2020, 06:39:47 AM »

No they don't. Viruses that are DNA encoded hardly change at all. But viruses that are RNA encoded do

Coronaviruses are RNA viruses, HPV is a DNA virus.

DNA is more stable, which is why humans don't mutate that much. Apart from superheroes, obviously. And mutant supervillains.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2020, 06:45:02 AM »

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Sweden-herd-immunity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Desktop)&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR2SIuMa_zpqegeip3e23rjA0x45tfVlDfQpwOFCZS7VluI1UTU9TAvCA5o

Their strategy wasn't herd immunity as such but to do what most other countries did but without enforcing lockdown.

Kind of a nice thing to see. Reminds me of traveling in Canada and being amazed at how clean the trains were and feeling shame for my own county and how so many mistreat treasures like state funded transportation.

I (enjoy?) hate to see these redneck assholes who get on national television here in the states, wearing a wife-beater and carrying a long gun on a sling, shouting shit like, "I live in a FREE country and you can't tell ME I have to wear a mask!"
Too many of those, here. We HAD to close some just because of assholes like those guys.

The Swedish are a cooperative bunch so I can see why they reasoned the way they did. But they failed utterly on protecting the elderly, and they never realised not everyone living here as that cooperative mindset.

As a result, our neighbouring countries are slowly opening up and resuming business while we are in the same limbo as the last several months. And guess what? Swedes are banned from entering Finland, Norway, and Denmark when they open their borders.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2020, 06:51:43 AM »

Yes and no. DNA viruses mutate far less often since they have proofreading capabilities. RNA viruses don't have those, afaik, and so RNA virus mutation rates are a lot faster. But both kinds do mutate.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2020, 07:00:25 AM »

The Swedish are a cooperative bunch so I can see why they reasoned the way they did. But they failed utterly on protecting the elderly, and they never realised not everyone living here as that cooperative mindset.

As a result, our neighbouring countries are slowly opening up and resuming business while we are in the same limbo as the last several months. And guess what? Swedes are banned from entering Finland, Norway, and Denmark when they open their borders.

This country is preparing to drop the hammer on a ban of travel from Brazil. But, it's not just Brazil. Even if you have been to Brazil in the past two weeks, you will not be allowed in without a quarantine period.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2020, 07:05:13 AM »

This country is preparing to drop the hammer on a ban of travel from Brazil. But, it's not just Brazil. Even if you have been to Brazil in the past two weeks, you will not be allowed in without a quarantine period.
Why the ban from Brazil? I hadn't heard that one yet. In Canada, if you came back from anywhere (before they closed the borders) you had to quarantine for 2 weeks no matter where you traveled in from. The border is remaining closed for another month and then they'll reevaluate.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2020, 07:33:34 AM »
Brazil is the only place in worse shape than the USA right now. They're probably pointing fingers.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.