Educational

Author Topic: Hey again.  (Read 567 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Hey again.
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »
I must be going really soft.  Pyraxis told me that the Gopher misses me, and so here I am.

...sort of.   Well, actually too busy drowning in a sea of variegated paperwork to risk being fatally distracted by I^2  (yeah, that can actually happen, most especially if , like me, your inborn  oganic provessor is very slow, very clunky and infinitely distractable)

but well, anyway

how about a (somewhat)  practical joke ?  I reckon most of you, like me, think you know a little bit about Chinese Philosophy.  So.... how about Googling the question  "What does yang stand for?" The answer is highly surprising, and funny, IMO.

Great to see you guys :)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Hey again.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
Welcome back Walkie.

Yang maybe water or fire?

A lot of sayings attributed to China are the historical equivalent of urban legends. Like "May you live in interesting times".

Were you here when Scrap exited?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »
Thanks, MOSW :)

Yep I was here when Scrap exited...unless Odeon let him back and he exited all over again?  :LOL: That didn't look remotely likely though.  So i feel pretty confident that I witnessed the big finale.

You didn't do as I suggested and type that question in Google , did you? FFS, stop philosphising and just do it.  It will only take two seconds. You can cut and paste "my" words.  (gotta confess,' -just cos i'm hope;'lessly confessional -  they're not actually my words at all, just one of Google's dumb attempts at reading my mind)

You're not so fecking lazy that you're waiting for Jack to post a screenie, are you?  :LOL:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 07:15:17 PM »
Welcome back.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
Thanks, Jack :)  :plus:

and, OK, OK,  here'a  nice quick link for those who might care to know what yang stands for:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=What+does+yang+stand+for

:LOL:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:29:03 AM »
Well that wasn't what I expected.  :laugh:

Hi Walkie!

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:04:00 PM »
*waves at IQ *

Yeah. Knew thay would surprise you.  Thousands of years of Chinese philosophy straight down the garbage chute. Nobody's intersted now. 

Let's hope that the world never gets a politician called Jesus, eh? The ""Christians"will  be getting even stranger ideas about what their Saviour  said than they already have. And the meek can then totally kiss gopdbye to their chances of inheriting the Earth, can't they?   :LOL:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 10:14:58 AM »
Welcome back.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »
Welcome back Walkie.

Yang maybe water or fire?

A lot of sayings attributed to China are the historical equivalent of urban legends. Like "May you live in interesting times".

Were you here when Scrap exited?

Not exactly exited, he was banned.  Even thought it looks like his profile is still intact.   :dunno:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 07:51:53 PM »
Banned <> Deleted

On most admin panels when you ban someone you need to specify how long you are banning them for, and you can select "permanent". But bans can always be reversed.

Deletion is for when you want to exclude the possibility of unbanning someone.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
Banned <> Deleted

On most admin panels when you ban someone you need to specify how long you are banning them for, and you can select "permanent". But bans can always be reversed.

Deletion is for when you want to exclude the possibility of unbanning someone.

Well, yes and no. If the posts are there it's perfectly doable to restore an account. You'll lose some things - PMs would be one, I suspect - but the post counts and such can be restored.

A ban is just a block. It doesn't delete anything.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 10:37:25 AM »
Ok. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
A ban is just a block. It doesn't delete anything.

Banned members no longer display in the the member list, so unless one stumbles upon a post, it does otherwise seem like their account is gone.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
why the heck are you guys all discussed banned members in my welcome back thread, eh?  i hope this isn't some sort of omen :lol1:

Anyways, to add my two cents to the confusion:

it annoys me that, in the vast majority of cases (presumably because the profile's gone) you can see the member's posts, but if your curiosity, you can't find anything out
if you're wondering when the hell Bimbo99 (fictitous charavter, bearing no resemblance to any past member so far as i know)  left the board?  and/or why she left the board?  you can't find the answer. You might try to find her most recent posts for a clue, but you can't , You might try to use the search engine instead but... :hahaha: what a stupid idea that turned out to be.
And suppose you never crossed pathswith  her before, find her post intensely intersting and you're wondering  what else she had to say? same frustrating palaver
And...well, you get my drift, I should hope? 
what the heck is the point and purpose of frustrating the rest of us like this?

I know it's not intentional, but it reminds of some of those boards where members silently vanish for no detectable reason at all, and Admin just allows  other members to assume that the disappeared left of their own accord.  And all that.  Yeah, i know i know, it's unusual that anyone goes quietly round here; they're usually kicking and screaming and crying out to banned. It's a huge public spectacle, and the highlight of some members'' lives.  But still, if a member gets deleted, i do think there ought to be some sort of public record of the same, just for the , ummm, record And I mean an easily found public record , not some impenetrable maze of disjointed text that's fiercely guarded by a deranged search engine.   :hitler: . Errrr. besides which, I'd really like one   :eyelash:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:46:33 PM by Walkie »

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 09:42:16 PM »
BTw. just in case anyone noticed and scratched their head. yeah i really did modify the above for th 3rd or 4th time, just because i spotted a misplaced apostrophe. yet somehow missed a shedload of more obvious typos, evidently.

huh, this is what happens when aspies get old , i suppose.

[EDIT: my son -who is easily amused especially by me-   tells me that this would be  "even funnier" if i only added another edit to confess that i clean forgot the word ""apostrophe" and wound up sitting  here for five minurtes , racking my brains, and waiting for him to come out of the bathroom and ask him what it's called. FFS.  Ah well, glad to be of service to someone , in some fashion   :angel: :asthing: ]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 10:17:27 PM by Walkie »