Educational

Author Topic: The Desert Island Discs thread  (Read 490 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: The Desert Island Discs thread
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
I must plus Pyraxis and Ren for their contributions.
I'm really liking the way this thread is shaping up, thus far with the same tunes turning out to be evocative for multiple people, so we're winding up with a patchwork of interwoven reminiscences, which is actually better than the radio show, IMO (which focusses on one person per episode, so you get a full life story, which is good, but then you don't get this interweaving).
And I'm liking the way it's sort of bringing out our sincerity :)

I almost went off on an Enigma tangent here (or should i say intensifying of the Enigma tapestry? ) but there were too many potential tangents beckoning and i eventually seized on this one:

Poor little Py!  That reminded me of when I brought Pink Floyd's Echoes into music class, thinking it might interest the teacher in the light of recent lessons about Electronic music and symphonic structure. Actually, I was right, it did interest her; she eagerly seized it off me and immediately made the whole class to the whole 20 minutes  from end to end;  which was the moment i found out that I was only kid in whole 30-strong class who liked Pink Floyd *wince * . Even though they were already pretty close to attaining "superband" status, that didn't mean that yer average teenage girl liked them , or that they  got much airplay on Radio 1  :LOL:

But damn! I still regard that track as the definitive track of my teenage years, and the recurring theme of the soundtrack to my life.  Pretty sure I posted it before,in some other thread  mind, My discovery of Pink Floyd in the early seventies (just as they were reaching their peak, IMO) was a total revelation to me. Wow! Somebody wrote music that sounded like the inside of my head! nothing had ever got so far inside me before. And, like the  modern poetry we were studting in english Lit, it had the effect of making me feel less alone; very intimately (if oddly distantly) connected with other people.

Echoes offered me the perfect synthesis of lyrics and sound to express that strangely close, strangely distant connection:

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant time comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the where's or why's
But something stirs and something tries
And starts to climb towards the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can?

And no one calls us to move on
And no one forces down our eyes
No one speaks and no one tries
No one flies around the sun

Cloudless every day you fall
Upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
So I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky

A year or so later, i fell in love with an older teenage boy from my town, who'd started at Uni already (though he was only 17, just two years older than myself.  His school liked to fastrack the brightest ones) who also liked Pink Floyd, and who brought back a fascination with telepathy experiments from his first term away.   I'd  known him awhile (we had a mutual best friend)  , but i didn't even like him until he tried those experiments on me; still didn't really like him, but that encounter engendered adesperate  thirst to connect with him, and a stubborn determination to teach myself not to shrink back and throw up all manner of automatic defences. I was shocked by my own  innate defensiveness.

So then,  i had a very clear image, for a while, of  whom i was calling to across the sky.  The attraction was mutual, but distance and the old communication issues utterly defeated us. And my fate was eventually sealed  by the arrival on the scene of a big breasted, self-assured  blonde with immaculate fashion sense , who represented absolutely  everything i wasn't.  :bigcry:  Story of my life.

To be fair to myself Pretty-but-Vacuous was no more capable of following Scarily-Intense-and-Socially Inept-but-Interesting than the latter was capable of competing with the former. She only lasted a few weeks, before she bored him to tears,  but the downfrade from  romance to friendship stuck.

Well, anyway, as a self-indulgent addendum, i'm gonna add my other favourite Floyd track, "'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"., and i'm choosing the performance from the utterly wonderful movie "Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii", which I actually saw at the cinema, along with a French college girl who was staying with my  family over the summer, as part of  some sort of not-exactly-exchange scheme . It was really unusual for me to go the cinema, because insofar as I had friends who shared my tastes, they were rarely available for one reason or another (mostly connected with them all being older than me, and having Lives of Their Own)  and my liitle group of school friends were a mottley crew of miscellaneous weirdos, you know?  the oddments left at the bottom of the box, having nothing in common, really,  save  for all being social outcasts of one description or another.  And none of thém were the least bit intersted in seeing that movie. They'd sooner drag me along to a disco, *wince *.  I once persuaded one of them to watch ""2001: a space odyssey" with me  in exchange for my watching a James Bond movie with her, but there was only so much of that kind of exchange that either party could stand.  Well, hey!  it pretty much defeats the object of sharing an  experience if one party is there under duress, doesn't it?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:50:33 AM by Walkie »

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »
Sorry for your loss ren.

Its interesting reading about people in this thread.

I might break the pattern with this one...for that I am sorry. I was considering whether to post about the beatles song "I want you", but I cannot think of much to say about it. Ah, what the heck... Here's the "story": My eldest brother went off to college and moved out when I was 12/13, so at some point I began moving into is room (which was the attic) and found a record player. One record I also found was a beatles album (not sure if I found that in his room or somewhere else). Well, when I came upon the song "I want you" I found the instrumental part of it so mesmerizing that I would sit there for hours repeating that part. This meant I was lifting the needle and replacing it again and again at a spot where the instrumental part began. I believe at that age I was in a bit of emotional turmoil- my mothers drug problem began getting worse, we were often home alone, puberty, I started having pro-drome schizo symptoms and very bad anxiety. All that said, something about the instrumental part, the chords perhaps, or the chaos, spoke succinctly to what I was feeling and it was healing in a way.

Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 10:06:11 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss, Ren. :(
Thanks odeon and sg.

It was a long time ago but I can still imagine his voice. He was very scared about leaving high school and living up to his parents' expectations. That's why I think he did it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 07:27:47 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, Ren. :(
Thanks odeon and sg.

It was a long time ago but I can still imagine his voice. He was very scared about leaving high school and living up to his parents' expectations. That's why I think he did it.

:hug:
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
Sorry for your loss ren.

Its interesting reading about people in this thread.

I might break the pattern with this one...for that I am sorry. I was considering whether to post about the beatles song "I want you", but I cannot think of much to say about it. Ah, what the heck... Here's the "story": My eldest brother went off to college and moved out when I was 12/13, so at some point I began moving into is room (which was the attic) and found a record player. One record I also found was a beatles album (not sure if I found that in his room or somewhere else). Well, when I came upon the song "I want you" I found the instrumental part of it so mesmerizing that I would sit there for hours repeating that part. This meant I was lifting the needle and replacing it again and again at a spot where the instrumental part began. I believe at that age I was in a bit of emotional turmoil- my mothers drug problem began getting worse, we were often home alone, puberty, I started having pro-drome schizo symptoms and very bad anxiety. All that said, something about the instrumental part, the chords perhaps, or the chaos, spoke succinctly to what I was feeling and it was healing in a way.

Hey you! I wrote the rules out in the first para of post #1 , right? And did they mention anything about keeping to patterns? They did not.  Therefore your post is perfectly fine.  In fact , interesting, affecting,  confiding and featuring a great piece of music. What more could we possibly ask for? Pattern be damned.

In short, don't be sorry, SG.  I kinda get the impression that you've spent far too much of your  life feeling sorry already :hug:

Thank you.

oh! on the subject of hugs, i'm  feeing that l i kinda missed out on the group hug for Ren, by posting my hug as a karma comment, so here's me joining in on that one

:apondering: ---->  :tigger:  ----> :grouphug:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:59:34 PM by Walkie »

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »
SG, I think it's awesome that your favourite Beatles track is one I've never heard before and not Hey Jude or Yesterday.

Mine is Across The Universe.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
SG, I think it's awesome that your favourite Beatles track is one I've never heard before and not Hey Jude or Yesterday.

Mine is Across The Universe.
Good grief! if i had to select a favourite Beatles track, i'm pretty sure I'd go for the same, with Strawberry Fields a close-running second.

Sooooo...somebody really needs to post that one, together with associated memories. I vote you, MSOW, cos I've already posted more than my fair share  :green:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Jack's contribution is also the Beatles. The tune of Yellow Submarine has invaded my head space for not sure how long, but a very long time; maybe forever. Won't post the lyrics, because it's never the lyrics which come to mind, only the melody. Can't really say what meaning it holds, though it must serve some purpose since it doesn't bother me like other echolalic/palilaic intrusions often do. It's never occurred to me to analyze it. Odd thing, when this thread came up, couldn't summon it on my own and it's taken two days to remember what it is. What is that song I've internalized a million times? No clue. So that's weird, but there you go.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 06:53:31 PM »
I barely remember The Beatles. I was 5 years old when they broke up. I remember asking my mother about it when you I saw it on TV, the whole idea of a band being as culturally significant as The Beatles was beyond me. A band was just some people playing music and singing, it didn't seem like something to get so upset about.

Anyway, no big story behind this one. I was laid off at the beginning of the GFC in late 2008. Working in banking software as an expat during the worst banking crisis in living memory wasn't the best place to to be. My daughter was a baby and My son was 3 years old. We were living in Thailand and there was no sign of any improvement, we saw the other expats having their farewell parties and all the empty hotels and we moved back to Jakarta where I had some hope of getting a job. I stayed there for more than a year and eventually moved back to Sydney where prospects were better and the economy was getting better. So my daughter learned to walk while we were in Jakarta and we owned a small apartment in a tower with a shopping mall downstairs and my daughter was like a tiny mall princess. She had lots of friends but her best friends were the girls who worked in Starbucks. They used to give me free coffee to encourage me to come down with my daughter and use the free internet to look for work. The Starbucks girls were all extroverts and it rubbed off on my daughter who is now 10 years old and still a people person.

And I remember sitting in Starbucks one day and Across The Universe came on the sound system and it just took me back to an era I barely remembered. Just transported me like other Beatles songs don't do, even as much as I enjoy them. So the song reminds me very much of that time in Jakarta when my daughter was a toddler and also of my earliest memories of the late 60s.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:58:18 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
Time to bump this up again , in hope of further contributions.

Talking Heads are one of the very bands that make me feel like dancing (though it's best to move all the furniture and people out of the way when I do) I think that's prolly because I can relate to the unusually intelligent lyics. Typically dumb pop-song lyrics tend to leave me cold. So, if only i was allowed. I'd take the  whole soundtrack to Stop Making Sense , as well as the whole soundrack to True Stories, plus the studio album version of the same, plus.. well, OK I'll just pick one track  for now . Or should we call it one and a half? I mean,  both versions of Wild, Wild Life.

This very much takes me back to my mid-late twenties, when my life took a drastic shift in directuion (or non-direction) . Prior to that I was pouring heart and soul into my science and maths studies , having set my heart on doing Theoretical Physics at Uni.  Yeah, I knew I was supposedly past my best already for that sort of thing,  at that advanced age (as my interviewer at Durham Uni actually pointed out to me)  but that's what i wanted to do. with a quasi-mystical passion. Then, not unsurprisingly,  I utterly failed to get the predicted grade A's (for various reasons, not unconnected with dyslexia and PMS, I have always sucked at exams) . Rather than do something practical instead (I would suck as a lab tecnician even worse than I suck at exams, trust me) I decided to drop the whole thing and soak myself in my other passion, poetry instead, and explore actual mysticism and...well , i somehow went from being almost-a-hermit (alongside my husband, in our rapiddly disintegrating marriage)  to developing quite a manic social life.  Since my town lacked a performance poerty scene, I somehow wound up organising one, and MC-ing events, and performing; all of which had seemed inconceivable before.  It's not like I confidently strode in, but more like, my efforts to persuade other people to take the reins kept falling flat, so i wound up saying OK I'll just have to do it myself. That I mostly wrote serious-minded literary stuff made it weirder still, but I found I could adapt some of my work and much of my persona to make myself entertaining.  That I already had a strong streak of self-mockery in my make-up helped.

Oh yeah, and my marriage broke down simultaneously, and I first met the love-of-my -life , but i already mentioned all that.  I was putting a brave face on a great deal of inner turmoil, but also very much enjoying myself.

Actuially, behind my manic facade, i was overconscientious, as usual. And a few years later , when my son (born shortly after my 30th bithday) was still small,  I sat down and calculated how much time I was putting into sitting on various Arts Commitees, organising events, and  otherwise doing all sorts of totally unpaid work in relation to the Arts.  80 hours per week.  Good grief, no wonder it was wearing me out, trying to juggle all that with raising a young child ( I recall going to a meeting with the local Arts Officer, with -thankfully sleeping - son in a bably-sling).  So I quit, and went back to being a hermit...insofar as motherhood permits, that is. 

I used to wonder how the heck a typical  Aspie manages to step out of the shadows and take centre stage? But then i got it. it's all about, essentially,  being in control of the social interactions, You can do that by taking people one-at-a-time in very small doses, or you can do that by being the one member of a crowd that everybody else is looking to for direction; oh!  and by having a hidey-hole where you can psyche yourself up before the event, and debrief yourself afterwards

So, anyway Wild Wild Life very much evokes that period of my life. I especially like the line that goes

Things fall apart, it's scientific

That really keys into my self-mocking streak and brings a grin to my face every time.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:28:30 AM by Walkie »