Educational

Author Topic: The wisdom of Jordan Peterson  (Read 3092 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: The wisdom of Jordan Peterson
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 02:55:02 AM »
I do like to see fools suffer. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
And Peterson is in celebrity rehab. The irony.

I hope they keep him isolated from the other patients, he could singlehandedly drive them all back to alcoholism and drugs.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 12:41:00 AM »
I know I'd dink heavily if I had to listen to his bs.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »
Kermit the Frog sounds so burnt out these days.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
I get a bit tired of conservatives claiming that Jordan Peterson MUST be awesomely smart because:
* He has a PhD
* He is a professor
* Nobody can work out WTF he is saying.

On the subject of PhDs, off the top of my head I have worked closely (in IT) with 4 people with PhDs. Every single one of them was well below average in their role, well below an acceptable level of competence. The qualification means little in my experience. Often an impressive qualification gets you a hired by someone who is easily impressed with such things, while the person who left school at 15 and passed an aptitude test and was put in a computer room loading tapes and worked his way up  (through displaying an abundance of competence at every role they have been given) is the person you really want on your team.

On the subject of being a professor, I’ve worked with some very stupid people who worked their way up the corporate ladder successfully. By forging alliances, by knowing how to seize an opportunity and cover their arse. By playing politics well. From everything I have heard about the world of academia, it is even worse there.

JP has mastered the art of talking complete bollocks and sounding smart to stupid people. And at regurgitating standard self-help dogma coated in his own special gobbledygook. One thing I’ve noticed is that people who are fans of other public “intellectuals” will tell you about the insights they gained from listening to them or reading their books. But fans of Jordan Peterson will invariably say “I heard JP say something really smart, you have to watch this YouTube video and you’ll see how smart it is”. You know why they do that? Because they couldn’t work out WTF he was going on about either, but it sounded really smart while they were listening to it.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
I get a bit tired of conservatives claiming that Jordan Peterson MUST be awesomely smart because:
* He has a PhD
* He is a professor
* Nobody can work out WTF he is saying.

On the subject of PhDs, off the top of my head I have worked closely (in IT) with 4 people with PhDs. Every single one of them was well below average in their role, well below an acceptable level of competence. The qualification means little in my experience. Often an impressive qualification gets you a hired by someone who is easily impressed with such things, while the person who left school at 15 and passed an aptitude test and was put in a computer room loading tapes and worked his way up  (through displaying an abundance of competence at every role they have been given) is the person you really want on your team.

On the subject of being a professor, I’ve worked with some very stupid people who worked their way up the corporate ladder successfully. By forging alliances, by knowing how to seize an opportunity and cover their arse. By playing politics well. From everything I have heard about the world of academia, it is even worse there.

JP has mastered the art of talking complete bollocks and sounding smart to stupid people. And at regurgitating standard self-help dogma coated in his own special gobbledygook. One thing I’ve noticed is that people who are fans of other public “intellectuals” will tell you about the insights they gained from listening to them or reading their books. But fans of Jordan Peterson will invariably say “I heard JP say something really smart, you have to watch this YouTube video and you’ll see how smart it is”. You know why they do that? Because they couldn’t work out WTF he was going on about either, but it sounded really smart while they were listening to it.

I am quite conservative and I only barely know who the fuck you are talking about.
I keep up, some, so, I can dial any of it up online if I want.

I can say from what I have seen, this fellow does not speak for me.

So, there!

We can talk about conservatism, if you wish.

Bring a gun.

:lol1:

Obviously, that last part was total sarcasm. Only about ten percent of what he spouts forth about makes any sense, anyway.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 02:04:24 AM »
You probably need to spend more time around online conservatives. They seem to love Jordan Peterson as much as their gun rights.

Is it 10% of what he says that makes actual sense to you, or 10% of what he says that you are able to parse?

I don't have a gun, so if we are going to discuss conservatism I'm going to have to borrow one of yours.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 08:08:20 AM »
Most of the online political posturing crap does not interest me.

But hey, in this country, when expressing conservative views in public, one should be ready to defend against bodily injury. So aside from all my sarcasm, we must allow for and contend with reality.

And, I do have plenty of guns to help you protect yourself during your visit. I can have you up and shooting with a couple of short lessons.
Learning proper handling and safety  takes a few more lessons.
 :viking:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2019, 02:44:10 PM »
Despite being a lefty I'm pretty good with guns. Grew up around them, owned a bunch when I was younger. Gun ownership is more restricted now, we have different freedoms.

If we ever make it to the US (my son is a WW2 fanatic, he wants to see battleships and the Enola Gay and a bunch of other stuff) my son would love to have a go at a few guns.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 03:20:01 AM »
I'm a lefty too but I'd shoot a gun right-handed since I'm very right-eyed. I've shot a .22 rifle which was a lot of fun.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2019, 05:42:03 AM »
I'm a lefty as in not a conservative.  :heisenberg:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2019, 03:24:43 PM »
We might actually define conservatism differently.

I DO believe that the federal government should do more to help with the poor and the homeless, along with all that,a bit more to support our veterans. Maybe even do more regarding making it a bit easier to enter the country legally.  As it stands, what millions have done to enter this country is already illegal and I will put them on the boat myself to prevent them from entering our country illegally!

I do not believe that we should NOT automatically offer "all medical care"  to those criminals who have entered our country illegally. If that makes me a bad person, then I say fuck off. You do not just get all the wonderful things this country has to offer from just breaking through the border at night. That shit makes you a criminal and I am one who would hold them accountable, including sending the bastards back where they came from.

Now, I will welcome any emigrant willing to follow the letter of our laws and enter within the prescribed process. We are well set to welcome them into our country, just do so legally.  I have some "nice" neighbors who have done all they can, except naturalize their grandparents who feel it is a matter of respect to their elders to NOT become American. Again, I say my "nice" neighbors are harboring criminals in their midst.
Fucking become a citizen and I will invite you to my fire.

Criminals should experience the entire force of our country's statutes regarding illegal invasion. We do not like that shit here.

If you are a part of the left in this country, you might believe that NOT enforcing laws will make them go away eventually.

I do not believe you are that kind of leftist.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:28:40 PM by DirtDawg »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

Jordan Peterson appears very profound and has convinced many people to take him seriously. Yet he has almost nothing of value to say. This should be obvious to anyone who has spent even a few moments critically examining his writings and speeches, which are comically befuddled, pompous, and ignorant. They are half nonsense, half banality. In a reasonable world, Peterson would be seen as the kind of tedious crackpot that one hopes not to get seated next to on a train.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2019, 01:30:53 AM »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2020, 04:51:43 AM »