Author Topic: 2018 in a nutsack.  (Read 11476 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: 2018 in a nutsack.
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2019, 10:37:51 PM »
On second thoughts I take back my accusation that you are taking the piss.

You really are that fucking stupid.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »
The degree to which the webmonkey can mess around with things due to hurt feelings before getting backlash from those outside the conflict.

Nup. That definition doesn't work. It would require that people are consciously or subconsciously looking for any excuse to be epically butthurt in a way that lasts forever.

Thus any time Odeon takes any action involving the buttons, reasonable or sensible or not, the risk of it causing endless butthurt and drama is extremely high.

It needs to be "the webmonkey can use the admin buttons whenever the webmonkey feels like it" or there needs to be significant restrictions.

This could be "any action taken against a member by the webmonkey using the admin buttons must be approved by a clear majority of members with more than 1,000 posts, and the poll must be available for a minimum of 72 hours.

I'm not saying that that needs to be the rule. But when you are dealing with a bunch of spazzes as anal retentive as some of the spazzes around here, the place will eventually become intolerable otherwise.

Personally I am surprised that the place has lasted this long.

The reality is that some forum members have such a toxic effect on a forum that most forums ban them as soon as they are seen for what they are. Those that don't ban them will eventually wither and die from their poison.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2019, 02:40:48 AM »
Doxing is revealing personal information. Stop being such a pedant.

It's not pedantry, if people commit the act because the word is being used in a manner
which is non-standard. That makes the problem more likely to occur, whether or not someone
is held accountable for it.

Ok that makes sense. I agree with MOSW's definition but clearly not everyone shares it.

How specific do you think it needs to be? Is "revealing people's personal information" enough?

On specificity in general, though - there comes a point where it's nonfunctional. As in, what you see with legalese, where it takes a degree in law just to understand what some laws are requiring of you, and where for example most members of congress don't read through new proposed laws in full before voting yay or nay, because there's thousands of pages of specificity and nobody has the time.

So, the standard definition is enough information that they can be identified. First and Last name
is seldom sufficient to do so. I could present definitions of PII (the core issue in doxing) if that is
of any value.

I think, to fit what is done here, it sounds like "revealing any personal information about a person
that is not already present in their profile or posts?"

Though that may be too broad - it's safer to be broad than not. You don't HAVE to ban someone
for mentioning that they have kids, some illness, or whatever, that is not already contained in
the site.

Or, maybe it's not broad enough. Because, if they post something, then delete it, they could charge
some sort of retroactive posting? So ANY personal information at all? We couldn't converse then.

Anyhow, the big point is once you stray from PII, 'personal information' gets very broad.

This is exactly what you did ten years ago. You argued a point to death and then continued to argue. How hard is it for you to understand that not everybody here feeds on endless argument?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2019, 04:05:54 AM »
First and Last name
is seldom sufficient to do so. I could present definitions of PII (the core issue in doxing) if that is
of any value.

Isn't seldom enough a reason then?

Just first name and the knowlegde I'm Dutch is enough to find me. Without the knowing of the Dutch you might get distracted by some Czech girls. But you'd end up with me soon enough.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:14 AM »
The degree to which the webmonkey can mess around with things due to hurt feelings before getting backlash from those outside the conflict.

Nup. That definition doesn't work. It would require that people are consciously or subconsciously looking for any excuse to be epically butthurt in a way that lasts forever.

Thus any time Odeon takes any action involving the buttons, reasonable or sensible or not, the risk of it causing endless butthurt and drama is extremely high.

It needs to be "the webmonkey can use the admin buttons whenever the webmonkey feels like it" or there needs to be significant restrictions.

This could be "any action taken against a member by the webmonkey using the admin buttons must be approved by a clear majority of members with more than 1,000 posts, and the poll must be available for a minimum of 72 hours.

I'm not saying that that needs to be the rule. But when you are dealing with a bunch of spazzes as anal retentive as some of the spazzes around here, the place will eventually become intolerable otherwise.

Personally I am surprised that the place has lasted this long.

The reality is that some forum members have such a toxic effect on a forum that most forums ban them as soon as they are seen for what they are. Those that don't ban them will eventually wither and die from their poison.

You are not pretending for a moment that you are on a higher exalted steppe than the unwashed spazzes are blocking your view into the valley. You are a spazz same as us and of no more importance than me, Scrap, Odeon, Cal or anyone else here.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2019, 06:04:07 AM »
That's where you're wrong Al buddy. My ogic is superior. Bow before my ogic and tremble.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2019, 06:17:59 AM »
It comes down to whether you think a name is information or not.

Guess what. It is information.

So is whether you ate soup.

What it's NOT is personally identifying information. Which is what Doxing about.
A name is generally not considered such. Full street address is.Telephone number is.

Here's the NIST definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personally_identifiable_information#NIST_definition

Now I know that you are taking the piss. There are actually people on this forum who are stupid enough to make that sort of argument. You are not one of them.

WTF? Is NIST that stupid too? I'll go with being as stupid as they are.
I wish. My expertise in security matters is on the low end, for being a professional
in the field, IMO.

So have you ever opened a bank account? Guess what the first piece of personally identifying information you need to give them is? Is it "did you have soup last night" or is it "First name/middle name/surname"?

Not considered PII at the bank I work at. Email address, in conjunction with name is.
Because, email addresses are unique. But even they aren't sufficient on their own.

It might be useful to work backwards from what information is designed for. Unlike fucking soup, names are designed to personally identify you.

Yeah. Which worked fine in the medieval era. That said, my own name is rare enough that if you
google it, you pretty much get me. I know of one other guy (in France, IIRC), who has my name.

Even the word "anonymous" means "without name". Or something like that. I can't be arsed looking it up.

The point has to do with doxing. And, if you wish PII. The later has industry standards for definition.
The soup point is simply to state that there's plenty of 'personal' information that is worthless
to identify. A name is a PART of the standard - but no more than that.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2019, 06:19:18 AM »
On second thoughts I take back my accusation that you are taking the piss.

You really are that fucking stupid.

I am. I also am not ignorant of industry standards.

And I don't go around making up definitions outside them,
because my job relies on understanding and following them.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2019, 06:22:27 AM »

That's how most of us, including Odeon, ended up here.

You'd think that being in that position would have taught him what any
reasonable person could see straight off. Power corrupts. Don't use it
without understanding the corruption.

I think he's so corrupt at this point, he can't even really see what he does.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2019, 06:24:09 AM »

This is exactly what you did ten years ago. You argued a point to death and then continued to argue. How hard is it for you to understand that not everybody here feeds on endless argument?

I'll tell you this though - I'd far rather be on the side of fighting tyrants than
BEING one. Especially a FUCKING BABY of one.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »
That's where you're wrong Al buddy. My ogic is superior. Bow before my ogic and tremble.

Not to mention your ignorance.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2019, 06:26:05 AM »
First and Last name
of any value.

Isn't seldom enough a reason then?

IT IS. I have NO argument with the policy.

I have a disagreement with calling this DOXING. Because that it isn't.
And by calling it such, the site is going to create confusion.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2019, 06:30:26 AM »
This has nothing to do with your industry standards you stupid twat.

It's about not disclosing information, against the wishes of members, that could be used to identify us in real life.

What is so hard about that?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2019, 06:37:05 AM »

Surprisingly I know, I don't .

I have yet to see superiority of logic or morality.

You are just a garden variety Spazz. In the muck up to your elbows. Like the rest of us spazzes. Odeon thinks he is elevated but he is not. He is simply the barman of the pub. He is doing our bidding. Another Spazz in the muck up to his elbows.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2019, 04:22:13 PM »

That's how most of us, including Odeon, ended up here.

You'd think that being in that position would have taught him what any
reasonable person could see straight off. Power corrupts. Don't use it
without understanding the corruption.

I think he's so corrupt at this point, he can't even really see what he does.

I was wrong. You have actually changed. You're more delusional now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein