Author Topic: 2018 in a nutsack.  (Read 10314 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: 2018 in a nutsack.
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2019, 02:53:19 AM »

I've thought about walking away many times. The constant (yes, that's how it feels to me) bullshit directed at me gets to be too much every now and then. Of course, I could simply take a leave of absence, stay away for a couple of weeks or months, but that always begs the question: why should I keep the damned thing online in the first place?

THIS is a decent question. Maybe you're not the right person to do so.

And no - I'm not either. I don't care enough.

Sorry, do what? Answer the question? Keep the board online?

Keep it online.

Currently I'm the only one who can answer it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2019, 02:54:11 AM »
Oh, and Al: I thought about replying to your post and then decided it's not worth my time because I don't actually care about what you think. You've been on repeat the last several years and it gets old after the first few dozen times.

Yes i am consistent. Easy to keep facts straight and a consistent narrative when you are honest and tell the truth.

:spitscreen:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2019, 03:01:20 AM »
Oh, and Al: I thought about replying to your post and then decided it's not worth my time because I don't actually care about what you think. You've been on repeat the last several years and it gets old after the first few dozen times.

Yes i am consistent. Easy to keep facts straight and a consistent narrative when you are honest and tell the truth.

In new news "Water is wet , Ice is cold and the sun is hot"
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2019, 03:01:48 AM »
There is also the question of proportionality. Every bully ever has claimed either that their victim deserves the excessive and disproportional abuse given to them, or that they are somehow doing their victim a favour, or "just having a bit of fun, no harm intended". There may be other reasons that bullies give, you're probably in a better position to say.

There's the "it's the way he reacts to the TRUTH" line, too.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2019, 03:04:26 AM »

In new news "Water is wet , Ice is cold and the sun is hot"

A variation of "since this is true, my previous bullshit must be, too".

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2019, 03:12:39 AM »
Never seen a bully admit that their actions are disproportionate to any provocation, real or imagined. Don't expect to see such an admission any time soon. How 'bout you?

No idea. In accounting for a bully on I2, by what non-subjective measure do you use? See I generally do not use that term, not here, and for good reason. Worse still is trying to divide two people fighting and feuding especially over a number of years and accounting for one party being at fault and the other as being as being faultless or otherwise the victim in the narrative.

You are not going to be silly enough to try .....are you?

One party does not need to be faultless in order for a pattern of behaviour to be described as bullying. If, over an extended period of time, the abuse appears to be one-sided and disproportionate, I feel comfortable making a subjective assessment of bullying.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2019, 03:24:39 AM »
Never seen a bully admit that their actions are disproportionate to any provocation, real or imagined. Don't expect to see such an admission any time soon. How 'bout you?

No idea. In accounting for a bully on I2, by what non-subjective measure do you use? See I generally do not use that term, not here, and for good reason. Worse still is trying to divide two people fighting and feuding especially over a number of years and accounting for one party being at fault and the other as being as being faultless or otherwise the victim in the narrative.

You are not going to be silly enough to try .....are you?

One party does not need to be faultless in order for a pattern of behaviour to be described as bullying. If, over an extended period of time, the abuse appears to be one-sided and disproportionate, I feel comfortable making a subjective assessment of bullying.

Aha.

Okay, who started the feud?
Who has broken every truce?
Who has used admin panels to force their will?
Who has threatened banning?
Who has bought the opponents family into the feud?

Get the fuck out of here you Goofy Mother fucker. You are not obviously in the right state of mind to make subjective judgments on proportionality or what has or has not transpired. Before you start, I am not say I have been bullied or that I am a victim but Odeon sure the fuck isn't either and pretending he is is fucking moronic.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2019, 03:36:40 AM »
You sound angry Al. Why is that?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2019, 05:13:09 AM »

Custom titles, weren't they/aren't they at a user's request? mine was.

Yes. You have to beg an admin to change it.

For no apparent reason. And sometimes, they get set for you.
Can't recall an instance when a request was denied.

Doesn't make a difference.
Yes it does. There's a difference between sometimes and always. If there's a point to be made about admin control over custom titles, then sometimes isn't it.

A power imbalance is a power imbalance. If I'm on at some hour when there isn't an admin, and I want
to change my profile completely, I cannot. It's got nothing to do with whether it will eventually happen.

It's a pointless restriction, IMO. AND, it's not just some left-over bit of code. The request to change
this was made (I think subject to a vote even) and disallowed.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2019, 05:15:20 AM »

I've thought about walking away many times. The constant (yes, that's how it feels to me) bullshit directed at me gets to be too much every now and then. Of course, I could simply take a leave of absence, stay away for a couple of weeks or months, but that always begs the question: why should I keep the damned thing online in the first place?

THIS is a decent question. Maybe you're not the right person to do so.

And no - I'm not either. I don't care enough.

Sorry, do what? Answer the question? Keep the board online?

Keep it online.

Currently I'm the only one who can answer it.

Yep. I honestly don't know if you're capable of being dispassionate in your use of the admin panel.
Nor if being so would spoil what value you get from running the site.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2019, 05:24:51 AM »
Don't think it's possible for members to be completely impartial.

Of course not. But those in power can TRY to apply things more fairly.

And certainly try to avoid any appearance even of an abuse of power.

How important is that to a functioning and successful online community? Probably almost not at all.
My own experience has shown that abusing power with a reasonable explanation is better than being
hidebound about standing up for principles - at least for the health of the community. But, I care more
about the principles than the effects. For me, the ends never justify the means. I'm off my rocker that way.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2019, 05:37:51 AM »
You sound angry Al. Why is that?

No I am incredulous

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2019, 07:49:36 AM »

Custom titles, weren't they/aren't they at a user's request? mine was.

Yes. You have to beg an admin to change it.

For no apparent reason. And sometimes, they get set for you.
Can't recall an instance when a request was denied.

Doesn't make a difference.
Yes it does. There's a difference between sometimes and always. If there's a point to be made about admin control over custom titles, then sometimes isn't it.

A power imbalance is a power imbalance. If I'm on at some hour when there isn't an admin, and I want
to change my profile completely, I cannot. It's got nothing to do with whether it will eventually happen.

It's a pointless restriction, IMO. AND, it's not just some left-over bit of code. The request to change
this was made (I think subject to a vote even) and disallowed.
This vote ten years ago? http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,7512.45/viewresults.html  Memory is an interesting thing. Still can't help but wonder what asking nicely would have resulted in the here and now.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
I have to say, Cal, that the more you post, the more you stay the same.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »
This vote ten years ago? http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,7512.45/viewresults.html  Memory is an interesting thing. Still can't help but wonder what asking nicely would have resulted in the here and now.

This was during the democracy, IIRC. We didn't have to beg for things from the staff, in theory.

EDIT: Apparently not. But, it seemed a reasonable thing to ask the membership about, rather
than just seek fiat anyhow. No matter how you put it, begging favors - whether just for myself
or for everyone - is simply not the way the world should work.

The 'big man' culture of favors is, to me, rather disgusting, even if it is how most of human society has always
worked. 'Tis the heart of corruption.

It's similar to how disabled people don't want everyone to open doors for them. They want to be able
to do things for themselves.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:09:30 PM by Calandale »