Educational

Author Topic: 2018 in a nutsack.  (Read 10318 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: 2018 in a nutsack.
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
Cal, who among us would you trust to be a completely impartial head admin even when subjected to years of personal abuse and pointless drama?

I can think of one. Maybe.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
Ren and 'raxy are the ones I trust the most here. Both outstanding people in general, and people I..well, I don't trust people easily, certainly not after meeting the borderline bitch from hell former housemate, and the shit she pulled.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2019, 07:45:17 PM »

Custom titles, weren't they/aren't they at a user's request? mine was.

Yes. You have to beg an admin to change it.

For no apparent reason. And sometimes, they get set for you.
Can't recall an instance when a request was denied.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2019, 07:49:57 PM »
I'd trust Pyraxis most. Not just on making the moral decisions, but on digging for the deeper nuances.

On moral grounds, I think all three other admins have been fine.

To the more subtle points. None of these three have been subjected to such attacks, because of their
personalities. They don't invite them. Odeon and Dunc both performed capricious acts instigating this
cycle. Might someone start being a total ass to another member? Sure. But that's not likely to result in
a section of long time members consistently harping about moral failures. I think even Odeon could shrug
off attacks like that, which were simply not true. It's the TRUTH of them which promulgates his responses.

And I suspect he's smart enough to understand that. I hope he is. And can work to distance himself from
performing such acts.

Because, I'm not sure anyone else is interested in actually making the work involved in maintaining the site.
It's a thankless task, and one which probably doesn't seem worth it at all, if everyone's just harping on you.
Are his little power trips a worthwhile cost to the members? Shit, I don't know. Maybe if the site's principles
were changed to reflect that, I'd be a lot happier with the trade off.

I^2 is a Free Speech Zone - except where it annoys the mebmonkey.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »

Doesn't make a difference.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »
Cal, who among us would you trust to be a completely impartial head admin even when subjected to years of personal abuse and pointless drama?

Don't think it's possible for members to be completely impartial. That might only happen if there were some hired outsider who didn't participate except for administrative actions. Have more than once said, everyone gets something they need here or they wouldn't be here. There have been times when it seemed Odeon probably wasn't getting what he needs and that was concerning. Odeon has shown I can trust him to keep the site running.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:01:03 PM by Jack »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »

Yes it does. There's a difference between sometimes and always. If there's a point to be made about admin control over custom titles, then sometimes isn't it.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
Are his little power trips a worthwhile cost to the members?
What's the cost when Odeon is a member too? It may be possible someone has left because they didn't like him, or maybe left because they didn't like me. If the time ever comes when the benefit of this forum is outweighed by the cost, then I'll leave, but I'll never blame someone else if I can't handle whatever I2 has to offer.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »

Better question. "WHY is he getting "years of personal abuse"?" Was that his impartiality of which you talk about? Or perhaps it was that he was misusing his power and making a shitload of very bad choices and when his pigeons come back to roost the more disingenuous here treat him as a poor beset upon Admin?

I would like you to discuss this question and in context of THIS answer I will address YOUR question.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2019, 08:26:40 PM »

Yes it does. There's a difference between sometimes and always. If there's a point to be made about admin control over custom titles, then sometimes isn't it.
Have been here a long time, and this is the first time custom title access has ever come up as any sort of an issue. Maybe just asking nicely would result in change, instead of implying it some sort of big power trip.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2019, 11:23:38 PM »
I can't comment about dunc, before my time here.

But as for custom titles, I don't remember ever hearing of one imposed, rather than granted. And really, it's the most minor sort of niggle an admin COULD oppose on a member, short of 'oi! dick'ead! fuck yer mom faggot' sort of degeneration. But if someone does fuck with it, I would trust Ren and 'Raxy to be impartial over others. I think Ren the most, since she has never ONCE shown even the merest hint of reproachable behavior when I've been a member to witness it, 'rax has posted in threads concerning arguments and moderation issues, but that is the ONLY thing I can state about her modding, she's no snake, anyhow. But I'd trust Ren completely. Then again, would 'rax, but Ren doesn't seem to take much user-visible role in admining.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »

Better question. "WHY is he getting "years of personal abuse"?" Was that his impartiality of which you talk about? Or perhaps it was that he was misusing his power and making a shitload of very bad choices and when his pigeons come back to roost the more disingenuous here treat him as a poor beset upon Admin?

I would like you to discuss this question and in context of THIS answer I will address YOUR question.

Wasn't it you who accused Odeon of being completely impartial? It certainly wasn't I.

One thing for sure is that if I were running this place I would be far from impartial. So it aint me either what I'm talking about.

There is also the question of proportionality. Every bully ever has claimed either that their victim deserves the excessive and disproportional abuse given to them, or that they are somehow doing their victim a favour, or "just having a bit of fun, no harm intended". There may be other reasons that bullies give, you're probably in a better position to say.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2019, 02:08:27 AM »

Wasn't it you who accused Odeon of being completely impartial? It certainly wasn't I.

One thing for sure is that if I were running this place I would be far from impartial. So it aint me either what I'm talking about.

There is also the question of proportionality. Every bully ever has claimed either that their victim deserves the excessive and disproportional abuse given to them, or that they are somehow doing their victim a favour, or "just having a bit of fun, no harm intended". There may be other reasons that bullies give, you're probably in a better position to say.

There is a reason Odeon is disliked by me. It was not always that way and did not come out of a vacuum. None of this is contestable. The "personal abuse" over the last few years is NOT one way trading. What on Earth are you talking about disproportionality? On which side and by which reckoning? Neither Odeon nor I are the "bully" in this situation or we both are.

Its just bullshit and propaganda calling it otherwise.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2019, 02:17:30 AM »
Never seen a bully admit that their actions are disproportionate to any provocation, real or imagined. Don't expect to see such an admission any time soon. How 'bout you?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2019, 02:27:25 AM »
Never seen a bully admit that their actions are disproportionate to any provocation, real or imagined. Don't expect to see such an admission any time soon. How 'bout you?

No idea. In accounting for a bully on I2, by what non-subjective measure do you use? See I generally do not use that term, not here, and for good reason. Worse still is trying to divide two people fighting and feuding especially over a number of years and accounting for one party being at fault and the other as being as being faultless or otherwise the victim in the narrative.

You are not going to be silly enough to try .....are you?