Author Topic: Xmas dinner, what you have folks?  (Read 368 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Xmas dinner, what you have folks?
« on: December 25, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
So what did you have for xmas dinner?

Me, started with a tray of nibbles and beer, basically a box with mixed pretzel style stuff in it that one nibbles handfuls of whilst pouring beer down one's neck. Pretzels, pretzel sticks, other kind of pretzel sticks, something like those whassitcalled....twiglets, thats the one, plus various mini crackers.

Beef curry, rice, naan breads, xmas pudding and custard, then xmas cake and stilton cheese.

After sleeping off a stomach full of grub, plus the effect of the beer kinda going to my head a bit what with the anticonvulsant meds (chlormethiazole interacts with alcohol, have to be pretty careful, since it's good at finishing people off too in OD, I know my limits though, but a fair few beers, pain meds, etc. all combined together, not in a bad way mind you.), slept in pretty nicely. Woke up not long ago.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
Re: Xmas dinner, what you have folks?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »
I had beef jerky, blaze flaming doritos, a couple slices of pizza, and chocolate chip cookies.

Sparking water to drink. I would drink beer but can't because of an operation I have to get in the morning

Basically, the food was all I looked forward to this years. Christmas always sucks, never enough money and too many bills to pay.  :laugh:
:skywarp:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 11:36:11 PM »
Agreed, Christmas does suck. I had a bbq and food coma'ed too but after waking i madeva small pasta meal for my daughter and i later incghe evening
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 04:57:23 AM »
I had pasta and cheese.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 06:11:30 AM »
I had lots of salad - pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes and vegetables, potato salad and Mum's regular lettuce, tomato, cheese cubes, boiled egg halves and Italian dressing salad. My sister cooked lasagna perfectly, I had two helpings of that. Had some chicken and ham as well.

Dessert was strawberry ice cream and a big piece of cheesecake. I didn't quite get to food coma status but I still left early so I could get home and relax properly.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
  My Christmas dinner will happen on Friday with my siblings.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
B'fast = one buttered biscuit with a slice of ham

Lunch = boiled shrimp and sushi

Dinner = nothing
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »
This year we had pumpkin and Brussel sprouts and fried eggs at a table in a park while we waited for our hotel to have our room ready. Then some really nice ice cream at the beach. Kids were still hungry in the evening so we took them for burgers.

When not on a road trip it's normally turkey with forcemeat stuffing. Gluten free bread used for the stuffing. Roast potatoes and pumpkin and orange sweet potato. brussel sprouts. And pavlova for dessert with mango and pineapple and passionfruit.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Sprouts? ew, jesus.

There is nothing on earth, that could make me eat one of those filthy, abominable abuses of all that is natural, wholesome and good. Brussels sprouts are not a food, they are a noxious disease, which needs extirpating, like the WHO did, in their massive campaign to wipe smallpox off the face of the earth.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 04:58:58 PM »
My wife grew up eating a lot of green vegetables and rice. She loves Brussels sprouts. I cook them in salty water until tender and then drain and toss with butter. If they are in season and cheap sometimes dinner is just a kilo of sprouts between us.

As a kid I learned never to say I disliked any food. I would be force fed mountains of that food until I stopped complaining about it. I had to chug a big glass of literally rotten coconut water once because I said it was yucky. So maybe I adjusted to eating foods that most kids hate. Broccoli and sprouts are my favourite vegetables.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Online DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »
We splurged a little, but still kept it simple. My wife bought a fourteen pound prime rib eye roast and slow roasted it in the oven. Not much else, but come fresh broccoli to steam up and she made a massive bowl of mashed potatoes and bought some Hawaiian rolls. Made gravy from some of the drippings from the meat.

We have been eating so much pork and chicken lately, my wife wanted to make something special.  Oh YEAH! I wanted to smoke it on my outdoor grille and the weather was perfect for such, but NO way I was taking that awesome piece of beef away from her.
She deserved all the credit!

We all love our bloody red beef.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
Sprouts? ew, jesus.

There is nothing on earth, that could make me eat one of those filthy, abominable abuses of all that is natural, wholesome and good. Brussels sprouts are not a food, they are a noxious disease, which needs extirpating, like the WHO did, in their massive campaign to wipe smallpox off the face of the earth.

Let me give you my address.  Send them on over. 

BTW - The PR doesn't like them either.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and maple glazed carrots.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 06:38:40 PM »
There were no sprouts at our Christmas lunch.

When I was in hospital in 2013, sprouts were served at one dinner time. I thought that maybe my taste has changed since I was a kid because I didn't like sprouts then. Nope, I don't like them at all even now. I gave it a try though.
Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and maple glazed carrots.
Your place must have smelled amazing.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:43:06 PM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »
As noted elsewhere, we have yet to cook our Christmas Dinner, but when we do, it will a close to traditional as possible for a gluten-free, corn-allergic (etc)  vegan.

We'lll have Walkie's Awesome Nut Roast of course. Nope,  I don't have an oven, anymore, as some might have spotted fronm other posts, but I do have a  big combination microwave , so it can cook in there

And sprouts.  yes, sprouts. we both really like sprouts. I usually pre-cook them ,  then saute the cooked sprouts  along with finely chopped garlic and flaked almonds, then smother the results  in chopped parsley. This year I thought I'd try  substituting  chestnuts for the almonds because chestnuts are more traditional; besides which there was a two-for one offer on 'em *grin * . I used to saute them in a mixyure of butterand olive oil  before I became dairy intolerant. I now make do with olive oil and/or some kind of vegan spread .

And roast [potatoes and roast parsnips They can be done in the micrwave too! though it might get  a bit overcrowded .

And stuffing. I used to get Mrs Crimbles gluten-free  sage and onion stuffing mix. . Dead simple! but the manufacturer has suddenly  started putting corn starch in it. So have all the other manufacturers . Grr. So I've bought some "rice breadcrumbs. "The other ingredients  are things that I always have in stock anyway.  So it's make-my-own-stuffing from here on.  And hope it turns out alright.

And vegan gluten-free gravy, which I always make to my own recipe anyways, throwing extra stuff in  which i can't normally be arsed with  (finely grated carrots, onions and sprouts)  to make it extra special at christmas . The essential ingredient is loads of  yeast extract- that gives it the "meaty" taste- then herbs (pasrley, thyme, rosemary usually) and some kind of thickener- I used to use cornflour, but lately i'm finding that a mixture of rice flour and xanthan gum works quite nicely. :)

Preparing that lot would totally wear me out before i was halfway finished, these days, but Christmas is one time when I can always count on my son's help in the kitchen :)

Back when used to houseful for Christmas dinner, I used to also throw in a dish of baby broad beans in tomato ,mustard and basil sauce, which complements the other stuff nicely, but that's rather too much nowadays, especially with reduced amenities! 

Even back then , i was cack-handed and disorganised and would wind up with sprout peelings, sauce splashes  etc all over the kitchen. My favourite   compliment  ever came from one Christmas  Dinner guest who said "Who would guess that something so delicious would emerge from such chaos?"  :)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:57:01 PM by Walkie »