Educational

Author Topic: What'cha munchin' on?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
What'cha munchin' on?
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
Title says it all-what might it be you are eating now one and all?

For me, just made my breakfast.

A bowl of oat porridge, made by simmering together two big cups of whole rolled oats, two same sized cups full of whole fat milk, a pile of salt as a wee but generous mound on the back of a hand and tossed in, a generous chunk of salty proper butter, none of that mixed butter/vegetable oil gross garbage, and demerara type brown sugar added while it cooks.

Then, when served after boiling it down slowly to a nice thick consistency, nice and stiff, covered in rich, soft, moist and treacly, molasses-ey dark brown muscovado sugar.

Just the way I like it. With a frosty bottle of Peroni, my favourite italian barley-brewed, delightfully hoppy lager. Pricy, but very good stuff. A bottle of that to wash said brekky bowl of porridge down.

I can SMELL that dark sugar from several feet away as it melts over the top. Oh that smells delish; covered in lashings of it, doubtless way too much sugar for a dietician to be happy about anyone eating, some 6 or 7 big heaping dessertspoons full, covered all over it and melted to a puddle of treacly molasses-syrup. Rich, way more sugar than anyone OUGHT to eat in a healthy meal, but hey, it's better than last night's fodder, which consisted of about 8 cans of knockoff red bull gotten for 25p a 350ml can, and about five bags of squidgelets, washed down with beer and coke.

It was diet coke though so that makes everything nice and healthy and OK again, right? :tard:

I'll say one thing for porridge ala Lestat Rett, however. I really do know how to make a very satisfying bowl of porridge. Two kinds of sugar, demerara to stir in as it cooks, dark muscovado melted over the top, with salty butter melted in and salt added generously, dissolved in the milk, the lighter, less rich demerara sugar to countermand the saltiness to just the right balance, while the topping gives one that 'OMFGDROOOOOOLLLLL' sensation with the merest sniff of the heady scent of treacle and molasses oozing off the hot bowl full and creeping towards one's nostrils with a beckoning vaporous finger saying 'come, commit mortal dietary sin and gorge on this and cold beer for breakfast'.

It even LOOKS sinful, gloriously, scrumptiously venial, all hot and steaming thick treacly fumes,

Diet food, it is not. But scrummy, oh yes, I do make a good bowl of porridge for me brekky. Nice and thick and stiff in consistency so it has to be yanked off the spoon between one's teeth, but which melts in the mouth, and well nigh screams out for a nice big gulp of cold, high quality lager or a pint of one's favourite bitter.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What'cha munchin' on?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:58:43 PM »
I had Nutri-Grain for breakfast. It's one of those cereals that doesn't need added sugar. If it's cold in the house, I sometimes heat my cereal up in the microwave for a minute.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:13:22 PM »
I was in a Nutri Grain commercial when I was about 10 years old. Actually I never made it into the final cut, but at least I got to meet Tony Greig during his playing days and all I can say is.... what a complete and utter wanker.

I'm munching on Strepsils (throat lozenges). Have been for a week. More sucking than munching. Packet says I'm not allowed to suck more than 8 per day and I'm going through about double that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:16:04 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
It isn't liable to drop anyone death of a strepsils OD any time soon. Hope the throat recovers though.

Who the fuck is tony grieg though? only grieg I know of is a very dead composer. And no I haven't met him. Probably not much of a conversational wonder, what with his having long been busy being heard only, scratching at the lid of his coffin, erasing musical notation in his grave.

Decomposing :P

Who is the guy you mentioned though, and why is he a wanker?

I've  had those  nutri grain things before, both the pale sort with the fillings and  the square solid more dense dark coloured ones. Basically a quick 'unwrap, shove it in your face when you have to bugger off somewhere ' sort of.....more snackfast than breakfast.

Although there are worse things that could be put in a backpack and  taken on a hike or camping trip. Well unless you have the strawberry variety. Then it's between that and a dog turd  in a silvered plastic liner. And people enthusiastically opting for the dog turd menu selection.

Not, mind you, that I ever have, or ever will eat a dog turd :P

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 11:31:02 PM »
Grieg is an awesome composer. Underrated. Not a wanker. Not quite as good as Beethoven though.

Tony Greig was a South African who captained England in cricket during the seventies. Later became a commentator.

Famous for his pitch reports where he would stick his gold pen into the pitch to show how deep and wide the cracks were. He dropped the pen into a deep crack one day and had to leave it there. Of course the ball hit the crack and the pen bounced out during an international match.

And he would do his reports from the middle of the ground before play. While the crowd slowly chanted "to-ny is a wan-ker, to-ny is a wan-ker".

Also famously criticised an Aussie batsman and said he should be dropped. The batsman then went out and made a huge score and as he passed 100 runs he stood in the middle of the pitch and yelled toward the commentary box something like "how do ya like that Tony ya fucking wanker". The pitch microphones were turned off but you didn't really need to be an expert lip reader.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:34:05 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 11:38:00 PM »
And he would do his reports from the middle of the ground before play. While the crowd slowly chanted "to-ny is a wan-ker, to-ny is a wan-ker".
That's harsh. :laugh:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 12:07:49 AM »
But funny.

I didn't mean the composer Grieg was  a wanker. Never met him. Just used the opportunity to set up a joke, about him being no conversationalist if I did meet him, being dead, and the only sound to be heard, was locals hearing scratching noises on the inside of his  coffin, exhumation, to find he'd been scratching musical notation to erase it.

Because  he was  de-composing. Geddit?:P

I'm sure as shit no sports fan, never have been never will be. Actually I find attendance at such things quite insufferable, never been voluntarily, but was dragged to a football match by my first special ed school, and the crowd, for some decision or other they didn't like set up a mass chant of 'REFEREEZAWANKA! REFEREEZAWANKA! REFEREEZAWANKA!, and giving various hand gestures that, I am fairly certain have a general message, that I am not missing due to being no sportsman and missing context. That I'm fairly confident the two fingers mean 'oi fuck off you cunt' and similar  sentiments to that effect directed towards  the recipient. In this case from a few thousand hands at least; accompanied by something you couldn't hide without microphones or with, the crowd bellowing 'REFEREES A WANKER!' as a chant, to the hilarious and thorough, absolute mortification of the teachers and classroom support staff who'd dragged  us  all off  whether we wanted to be seeing a football match or otherwise. Never mind for people  who like football about as much as they relish the prospect of a starving rottweiler enema whilst having electrified alligator clips wired to their testicles and nipples and connected to a car ignition coil whilst the engine revvs.

Only less. Because I really, really don't do football, or other organized sport watching. Either live or on TV. Dull as dishwater.

That one time, they picked the right specific match to drag the speshul people off to though by dint of sheer luck for us, meaning we got our entertainment, from the antics of the foul-mouthed chanting crowd en masse on one side, bellowing profanity that no microphone dimming could disguise, giving the finger, or two fingers, or two sets of one or two upraised digits per owner thereof, and the  odd flurry of thrown copper coins.

Made  a miserable excursion to be, for me, that was as appetizing as going to bloody church into something with some comic relief to redeem itself. Well unless you were the ref that is, or the absolutely horrified class staff and teacher. And probably the other side. But funny as, just the same, and indeed all the more so, for the absolutely mortified look on the faces of the ones responsible for my having to be there at a football game that they could do precisely less than nothing to punish a student for, to shut one up or do anything but sit there while the crowd howled, bellowed, chanted and bayed abuse at said ref.

To much amusement from a classroom of speshul spazzes.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »

Maybe a little odd, but I am munchin' on various smoked cheeses and crackers my wife found while down town supporting the local mom and pop stores.
I know, breakfast and all, but I have been up for six hours now (took over John's shift at the neighborhood watch duty) and breakfast was a PBJ at about four thirty this morning on toast with thick Nicaraguan coffee.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
Munchin' on a handful of double raspberry magnum ice creams. Dark chocolate shell, a layer of thick, rich raspberry frozen sauce that melts in the mouth, a second dark chocolate shell and finally a big, fat hunk of pink raspberry ice cream inside them both.

Already munched on an almond one too, chocolate embedded with lots  of almond chunks in it on the outside of  their ice cream.

And got some bubblegum ice pops, about 2 foot long, lined up ready to meet a munchin'.

And a bottle of peroni italian lager, or half of it because I've already gulped half of it down. Got a sixpack of bud though for when the  peroni is all gone.
A 30-pack of  cans of coke. Two big buckets of honey icecream with nuggets of frozen honeycomb inside it and two tubs of raspberry pavlova icecream, with lots of raspberry sauce throughout, as a topping, and that topping topped with a slathering of meringue chunks.

And yes I'm considering munchin' until there's bugger all left to munch on by way of ice cream or  ice pops.

*scoff scoff scoff scoff noises emanate from Lestat's house, accompanied by frequent slurps and the occasional satisfied, resounding beer-belch, and odd sniffing noise associated with the sudden disappearance of a pair of lines of oxycodone powder off the table.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »
I bought a hard dark Pumpernickel loaf and some various German and Italian sausages, prosciutto, pastrami and a superb aged, smoked hard braunschweiger.
Still have cheeses from last week.

I am munchin'  but I am also using my rotisserie to prepare a whole chicken for later.

Dropped dollars for thee whole chickens, two smallish round beef tips and two whole pork butts all on sale today. Yeah, short dated, but I have a freezer that I could store three bodies in and another only big enough for one and a half a hog.

I am cooking one of the chickens and freezing all the rest for later in the winter.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »

My rotisserie chicken was a big hit. I put some potato wedges in the oven to roast with spices and hemp oil on them and made gravy out of the chicken drippings and steamed some fresh cauliflower AND it was fabulous.

I really like ovening this time of year.  Warms the house a bit and fills it with fragrance.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 10:52:38 PM »
DirtDawg, I'd like to spend the winter at your place. I think my stomach would be very satisfied :indeed:

I have just had scrambled eggs.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 11:25:30 PM »
I love scrambled eggs! I like grilled cheese and sausage to go with them. When will they be ready?

You are welcome at my table any time. There will be plenty. :grouphug:

One thing I have trouble doing is cooking for two or even four. Actually, cooking for two is easier than cooking for four.
My mom came from a family of ten (youngest girl - she did most of the cooking with her mom) and my dad was from a family nine (oldest boy, musician, just wanted the biscuits ready with coffee ). My mom taught me to cook when I was six years old (a beginning I will never forget). She had to be away for a couple of months and left me in charge of the kitchen.
There is always more than all of us can eat.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 05:52:48 AM »
What is grilled cheese exactly? Sounds hard to clean up afterwards. They are my least preferred dishes to clean, ones covered with cheese.

My scrambled eggs had parsley added to them.

Kayleigh is cooking again, something with chicken in it.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
Over here, it means a sandwich with cheese in the middle and nothing else.
Now, getting into how to make really fine grilled cheese sandwich quickly becomes quite complicated.

My favorite way is to actually use the open fire grill and smoke up the bread as it is being toasted, while you melt the cheese with the same smoky fire.

Most simply, it is some bread and some cheese. You figure out the way you want to be.

Generally there is no clean up, except for all the eating.