Educational

Author Topic: Your latest chance lucky finds?  (Read 241 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Your latest chance lucky finds?
« on: October 22, 2018, 03:59:36 AM »
I'll start. Simple as the title says it is. What have you recently found that is of value or use or both, down just to luck?

In my case, half a joint and 103 whippits (whippits are pressurized nitrous oxide gas canisters intended for use in making whipped cream, although can also be vented using a special cracker, into one of those big buggering great punch-ball balloons, several at a time, and then repeatedly breathed in and out, for the same, although without a mask and continual supply, far shorter duration of action as the nitrous oxide anaesthesia gas mix used in dentistry and hospitals for dissociative pain relief.

Got a big box of full cartridges. Plus that half a doobie.

Have had the latter, but need to find where my wippit-cracker is, or build another one so I can use the wippits. Rather nice for pushing an experience through to an entire new level when a psychedelic trip is at it's peak, a few wippits can turn it into something even more astonishing.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Your latest chance lucky finds?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:38:07 AM »
My brother was a taxi driver for years and years.

One night he picked up a young drunk bloke. He got to the bloke's share house and... no money. Young fella said "wait a minute I'll get some cash inside".

5 minutes later and no sign of him so my brother went to knock on the door and ask where his fucking money was. Door was wide open and his passenger and a bunch of other blokes were passed out in the lounge room. There on the coffee table was a big bowl of Mary Jane.

So my brother walked in and helped himself generously to the fare. Emptied the bowl into a bag, left them just a little, and walked out.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:10:24 AM »
Thieving cunt! thats low down. IMO if a customer accidentally left their bag in the cab, and it was found later, fair do's, fair game, to stake a  claim to it, especially given it isn't like it could be put in 'lost and found' for someone to ring up about.

I was unlucky that way once, I left the remains of a ten-gram bag of methoxetamine (a ketamine/PCP analog) in a cab, lost it for good. I hope the finder enjoyed the MXE when it was found eventually, whoever it was. But if some cabbie had gone through my coat pockets while I rested my eyes, and helped themselves, believe you me, I'd fucking knife the thieving bastard for it, finders keepers is one thing, outright thievery is another altogether.

I'd gone out to do a long solo hike in a favourite forest, using low-dose MXE along with higher dose alpha-methyltryptamine, an empathogen/entactogenic psychedelic, essentially, structurally the indolic homolog of amphetamine, having stimulant properties, but also the psychedelic effects of many tryptamines, along with similar empathogenic effects to MDMA/MDA/methylone etc. and had been using the two in a balanced combination for some self-psychotherapy, in the form of meditation whilst hiking, using the time to relax, enjoy myself and pick a grab-bag of wild edible fungi to take home and, after stopping off for a quick few pints and a shot in a little bar on the way home, went to call a cab, because I'd been hiking literally from the break of first light, walking to the forest, and then back to the nearest town, for a little refreshment, help take the edge off the aching legs and the strong, long duration stimulant push of the alpha-methyltryptamine. I'd been through some traumatic, PTSD-inducing events a while prior, and this was my therapy, in a way guided by and as such, well suited to my personality given I know my ins and outs better than a therapist ever could, especially a new one, so I went in the direction of self-metaprogramming, psychologically speaking, and to excellent results, the PTSD in question no longer troubles me anymore.

But whilst the AMT I had left came back with me that time, the methoxetamine did not. And there was still a good few grams left in the bag. Pretty shitty loss, and not one I could recover either, not for wont of trying (it was legal at the time, not that that makes any real difference, one of those grey-market items which aren't illegal, or weren't, prior to theresa bitch may and her psychoactives blanket ban bill, which only served to make things more and more dangerous and drive things underground which previously were not, but that the filth and govt want banned nevertheless, leading to in effect, an arms race waged between chemists and politicking wankstains.

Was a really shitty loss, cost over 100 quid to replace with a fresh 10g bag (didn't lose all 10g, I'd used a lot of it thankfully)

But if it hadn't been lost, if it had been actively taken from me, you damn well bet I'd punish the one responsible if they were foolish enough to be caught, and most severely indeed. But my genuine misfortune being another's gain, thats different.

Found a half oz of really good, strong skunk, and had smoked most of it by the time an (at the time, he isn't now) old mate of mine, who told me he earlier had narrowly avoided arrest by the filth for possession poss. w/ intent to distribute given the weight, not that IMO even an oz or three is anything more than personal use quantities, not that I think personal vs sale matters either.

He dodged the pigs, they didn't find the weed, I did. Didn't know it was anyone I knew's, just a bag of skunk, found in a hedge. Had already bonged my way through most of it over the day, but when he turned up and I knew it was his, what little was left I smoked him up on, he'd have done exactly the same. No point in saying anything about finding it, since doing so, logically, would not unsmoke the weed and bring it back to him, but what was left I made sure he got in on, realizing he likely needed it after a fraught afternoon spent being pulled over and chased by the filth, evading arrest. I know I would have needed to rip a few fat bowls after an afternoon spent legging it from the plod, resisting arrest and the like. It can be rather stressful if one must do so. And coming home or to a mate's place to blaze a few is just what the doctor would order if they had any sense after such a day :autism:

Have found my fair share of 10bags, 20-bags (20 is the cost of an 8th here, 40 a quarter, sometimes 35 depending on who you know, mates rates etc) over the course of a lifetime. Even found a bag containing a couple of grams of good cocaine once, of all the weird ways and places to find such, going to a doctor appointment, on the way to the surgery, just found a baggie of coke on the pavement. Frosty morning, and had been sleepless, was going to fill a new rx refill for pain meds etc., it just being due that morning and as such my having totally run out, so beginning to feel a bit rough at the time, exhausted and tired, really cold morning. But that soon changed, after a quick taste of the white powder revealed it to be coke)

Another time, I found a bottle full of methadone liquid in a public loo. Not actually in the bog, just in the cubicle on top of the cistern. That made for a rather nice relaxing day, had quite the kick to it, and I've always liked methadone, as far as opioids go, due to it's great oral bioavailability, long duration of action, good strength and it's having a degree of NMDA receptor antagonist effects not shared by most opioids.

But what I do NOT do, is steal from people. I wouldn't wish to be stolen from, and damn well I'd go to town on anyone I caught doing so, if it's luck, like finding that coke, then thats fair, but snatching a bag of charlie out of the hands of someone railing a line of their coke in the street and running off with it, that'd just be a disgusting, base act of perfidy, and deserving of whatever punishment I might receive for my troubles.

I don't like thieves. I'm not one, and don't intend to become one either, its low-down and dirty a thing to do. Only justification is if it's jacking a copper, or surreptitiously relieving a thief of something they themselves stole. Stealing something back, or stealing something back for a friend, not from, but FOR the friend, is alright in my book, if someone robbed them, you are not thieving but taking back your rightful property, or returning that of someone you care for. And the other exception, is if anyone ever attempts to mug me, I turn the tables. Anyone who tries to jack me, I'll jack them instead. Knock the shite out of them, then take everything of value they have, remove their clothing and either burn it, throw it in a bin, give it to a homeless man, whatever comes first, and leave the thieving bastard with nothing, not even a pair of shoes or underpants. Anything I decide I want, I keep, likewise for currency, recreational goods, etc., but just to drive the message home 'this is why you don't act like a thieving little piece of dogshit, since you obviously lack the moral turpitude to realize you shouldn't do so because it is wrong to do it, you'll get the moral of the story by knowing what it is like to be jacked up and left without so much as an odd sock, to walk home stark bollock naked and likely as not, with a collection of broken bones to scream over after. 'Thanks, dickhead, now have a nice day. Come again and I'll fucking kill you'

Just by chance discovered that at the back of a shelf of tinned rice pudding and tinned custard, rather than the price of 1.20something a can, there were a lot marked down on offer hidden at the back for a pound each. Plus an offer two for 2 quid on 1 liter cartons of fresh guava juice and fresh watermelon juice rather than 1.39 each. Was going to buy two, one of each so instead got two of each. And stocked up on all the marked down rice pudding and custard cans I could carry.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:34:41 AM »
Found, as I went to put one of the two tins of cigars I bought earlier in the pocket of one of my leather jackets, that in said pocket, was half a big bag of Rowentree's fruit gums, a tasty semi-hard chewy gummy candy, that I rather like. I'd bought three packs of sweets earlier, three  bags of fizzy blue sour bubblegum bottles, and took one with me when I went out earlier, then when I went to stuff those and the cigar tin in my pocket, I found another packet of some kind in there, took it out, and found it either half or 1/3 full of fruit gums.

Not looked inside it yet. I DO so hope there will be lots of the lime flavoured and the blackcurrant flavoured kinds in it, because those are my favourites. On the other hand the chance is less than of the other varieties because I tend invariably to snack on those ones first, because they are the tastiest :autism:

Just found a beaker containing the dirtier portion of some P2NP after a recrystallization was performed on the mother batch in isopropanol. This had been left in a beaker, the less clean part, and some has crystallized out, although will need purification by means of further recrystallizations, however it has formed orange little tuffets, from which sprout a profusion of blade-shaped angular tabular shaped crystalline spines, which look, by colour, to be purer than that from which they sprang, so I'll harvest those first and recrystallize again and again as needs be from aqueous isopropanol (its completely insoluble in H2O, so the slow evaporation at room temperature of the isopropanol allows beautiful crystals to be formed, nice and slow, they look so purrty it'd almost be criminal to reduce the nitropropene to the nitropropane (which is a yellow oil, the pure 1-phenyl-2-beta-nitropropene being yellow crystalline material when pure), and a crime to reduce the nitropropane to the aminoalkane (racemic amphetamine), they are just such pretty, long, well developed crystals sprouting from their tuffets of fluffy, orange crystals (orange means impure in this context, however it is still visually nice looking, pumpkin-orange and fwuffy, and when purified so as to be yellow and crystalline, ready to be reduced to the nitroalkane or better, straight to the aminoalkane, or else submitted to acidic dissolving iron reduction catalyzed by the lewis acid ferric chloride hydrate, forming phenylacetone, which can be reductively alkylaminated to form meth/ethylamphetamine, or the ketoxime formed and reduced using zinc dust with ammonium formate to reduce the ketoxime of P2P to amphetamine.

Still almost criminal to do that, the crystals of P2NP are soooooo purrty when they are grown really well and slowly from clean stock. Just found that beaker, plus an older beaker with much more P2NP as a solid microcrystalline cake, which will need cleaning from impurities, recrystallization etc. before reduction or ketone formation/oximation reduction. But I'd estimate there's a good few hundred grams of P2NP (impure) just in those, plus the flask containing a large solid puck of P2NP of intermediate purity which will need to be dissolved in boiling isopropanol and crashed with water, etc. after reducing the volume of isopropanol, reclaiming as much as possible because I'm running low on this vital solvent to my work and need to buy more. Of course I will, but I do like to make any given quantity of a solvent last as long as possible in my service, recycling it via distillations, washing etc.

Recycling is something I'm VERY big into, in my laboratory endeavours, I like to redistill solvents a few times to get them back up to purity standards, dry as needs be, and mark as 'non-virgin solvent' etc. and also to collect wastes, such as the spent hexavalent chromium wastes in 98-99% sulfuric acid that form a green solution after the initial oxidation using chromic acid etchant as a cleaning solution for recalcitrant organic wastes on things like glass frits, before subjecting them to the VERY effective, but also dangerous to prepare and use 'piranha acid', which represents the ultimate sanction residing in the hands of the owner of the lab glassware short of physical destruction and buying new glassware, peroxide and sulfuric acid, usually 3 or 4:1 ratio of concentrated H2SO4 to 30% aqueous H2O2. This will oxidize even inorganic carbon like charcoal and graphite to carbon dioxide! cleaning even the filthiest, most befouled frits that have resisted being burnt clean by nitric acid, concentrated sulfuric, mixed sulfuric and nitric, aqua-regia and chromic acid. Peroxymonosulfuric acid, is formed in the mixture, a very, very potent, and quite dangerous oxidizing agent. Its a last resort to get glassware clean again after everything else has been tried bar base-bath or base piranha, which actually attack glass itself, dissolving a thin layer off the surface.  This means it should be used as little as possible, as a last resort behind a last resort, and even then base bath and base piranha recipes are unsuitable for use on glass frits in buchner funnels, because the porosity of the frit would be altered, coarsened, and damaged structurally. Which is unacceptable, especially with a few select items I have like my 30ml microscale Buchner in 24/40 ground glass joints, with a vacuum takeoff barb and a frit so fine the largest pores are just 5 microns wide, and as low as 3 or 4 microns in diameter. So fine it can even filter out bacteria of many kinds, although at the price of easily clogging, and of course being so fine, gravity filtration is just not even worthy of consideration as an entity in using that particular fritted Buchner, which I saved up for and bought specially for microscale work where catching ALL the solid, even when finely divided, is of paramount importance, it'd take not hours, not even days but possibly WEEKS, so of course, it must be hooked up to a vacuum line and vacuum filtration performed.

Works a fucking treat though, I love it, and there's no way in all hell I'd let base piranha or base bath anywhere NEAR them, or even phosphoric acid unless dilute and cold (hot, concentrated H3PO4 attacks glassware, like hydrofluoric acid does, and etches it, damages frits, I'm not sure how fast, although undoubtedly this is a function of both concentration, temperature and time exposed to the hot, conc. H3PO4) Still, it ain't going nowhere near my precious fritted Buchners. And especially not my 3-5 micron porosity ultrafine A-grade frit microscale 24/40 30ml funnel. HEEEEEEELLLL no!

Disovered another flask, a 1 liter, this one containing what must be 300-400g P2NP

Will need recrystallization, washing with aqueous bisulfite solution, to form an insoluble (in nigh everything, as bisulfite adducts of ketones and aldehydes are wont to be) sulfonic acid adduct from any benzaldehyde left around in traces, which would interfere with the copper nanoparticle based reduction process for nitroalkANEs after borohydride reduction of the corresponding nitroalkene to the nitroparaffin, then generation, from CuCl2 solution, of copper metal as ultra-fine nanoparticles, so fine they don't look anything like copper metal powder of conventional, even ultra-fine grades still look coppery in colour, but these nanoparticles are black, not copper-coloured and rosy. Presumably due to something like surface plasmon resonance effects being different at nanoscale perhaps, or refracting light differently, like colloidal gold and silver do in dichroic glass, which looks different depending on if viewed with lighting from the front, or from the back, such as the famous roman Lycurgus cup, which looks red, or green depending on whether or not the light is transmitted through the glass before reaching the eye, or whether it's lit from the front. Same glass, two colours, depending on where the light comes from, because of the differential way it is refracted internally from the highly reflective particles of ultra-fine, colloidal gold and colloidal silver metal in trace quantities present in the glass at just the right ratio to produce a wonderful work of art, in the Lycurgus cup, the only known surviving one of it's kind.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »
I found $10 left in a self service check-out machine. The person before me there had long gone so it was finder's keepers.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »
I found $10 left in a self service check-out machine. The person before me there had long gone so it was finder's keepers.

First up you did nothing wrong. I find money pretty regularly and I always keep it. But I would be extremely careful about keeping money that you find. Especially in an area with CCTV.

Yesterday I was at a self-service machine in a supermarket and a woman came down the stairs and asked me if I'd found $20 in the machine. I said "no". She asked one of the staff and they had the $20 and her receipt that she had left behind. The thing is that people do come back for money that they left behind in those machines and if someone wants to be anal about it and track down what happened to the money....

There was a TV commercial for Suncorp a while ago where a child gets off a bus and finds $20 lying on the ground and picks it up. Finders keepers. The ad was modified not long after to remove that part because of all the people pointing out that she broke the law.

https://www.burkemeadlawyers.com.au/criminal-charges-courts-police/larceny-finding-can-keep-money-find-ground/
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 12:04:04 AM »
That's why when I 'find' money, I aim for pockets, which almost never have CCTV cameras in them.  :zoinks:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:12 AM »
Thieving cunt! thats low down. IMO if a customer accidentally left their bag in the cab, and it was found later, fair do's, fair game, to stake a  claim to it, especially given it isn't like it could be put in 'lost and found' for someone to ring up about.

The standard practice was to mix up whatever they intended to use that night with the tobacco out of a cigarette/s, chop it up small, and smoke using some kind of home-made water pipe. So it wasn't a large amount. The other option for payment for the taxi fare was to try and wake up the passed out passenger in a room full of wasted stoners and try to force him to pay.