Author Topic: HOLIDAYS  (Read 295 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
HOLIDAYS
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
This thread is about how your country/culture celebrates holidays.  Here is one person's Halloween decorations in New Orleans.  (And yes, she's rich.) (Newspaper article)

https://www.nola.com/expo/life-and-culture/erry-2018/10/258ff5a347293/the-funny-skeletons-on-st-char.html?utm_campaign=noladotcom_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: HOLIDAYS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 07:13:11 PM »
Valentine's Day and Halloween and Thanksgiving are very much American things.

What has happened in recent years (decades) is that our "traditional" Christmas meal is pretty close to what Americans call a thanksgiving meal. When I was a kid we would have cold ham or roast pork at Christmas time. Nowadays people tend to either have turkey or seafood. A few weeks out from Christmas the supermarket freezers are filling up with turkeys of various sizes, and then maybe a week or so out from Christmas the fresh (not frozen) turkeys start filling up the chilled section.

Instead of pie for dessert we usually have pavlova. Usually with tropical fruits like mango and passionfruit and pineapple. Because it's summer here. I make the whole thing myself but I think most people these days just buy a pavlova shell from the supermarket. Last time I made apple pie was when I was staying in the US.

Our suburb is famous for Christmas lights. People come from other parts of the city to either park their cars and walk around, or drive around really slowly with their windows down and taking videos with their phones. Remember that it's midsummer here, so it doesn't really start getting dark until around 8:30 pm and then people turn the lights off when they go to sleep maybe a couple of hours after dark. Here's an example from my area:

We put up lights on our trees and the front of our house, nothing like this though.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
We have Straya Day. This involves cremating meat on a grill (we erroneously call grilling meat outside a BBQ).

The tradition is that someone who never cooks 364 days of the year drinks about a dozen beers and then insists that only he knows how to cook on the BBQ.

The sausages, steak, lamb chops etc. are then cremated to a point where they are virtually inedible.

There's fireworks and stuff as well.

There is a push on to "relocate" Straya Day, because us progressives have taken to calling it "Invasion Day" and it seems a bit crass to be celebrating the day we turned up and claimed a continent that had already been inhabited by humans for about 60K years.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »
This thread is about how your country/culture celebrates holidays.  Here is one person's Halloween decorations in New Orleans.  (And yes, she's rich.) (Newspaper article)

https://www.nola.com/expo/life-and-culture/erry-2018/10/258ff5a347293/the-funny-skeletons-on-st-char.html?utm_campaign=noladotcom_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

If I ever spent a bunch of money on a halloween decoration, I'd buy a scarecrow from pumpkinrot. They're brilliant. I discovered them because they created the sculptures used in the movie, Mr. Jones.  :orly:  Although I'm not really sure they're even for sale.  :dunno:
http://www.pumpkinrot.com/index2.htm
http://pumpkinrot.com/pages/Page16.htm
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:29:54 PM by Gopher Gary »
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »

Saving that site for my daughter, who is very much interested in all things Halloween.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 08:36:05 AM »
 I generally do a turkey for Thanksgiving (or thanks taking, depending upon which side of the "celebration" one sits. ) huge ham for Christmas and an entire pork shoulder roast for New Year's Day.

Valentine is bullshit, a made up thing thanks to greeting card companies wanting to increase profits using man-shaming to do so. I usually do chocolates for my wife and flowers for my mom. Hypocritical, I know. My daughter is NOT my Valentine. She is on her own.

Now get back when July comes around. Independence Day is going to be a substantial variety of meats on the grille, rain or shine.

Halloween, I usually bring out a large all bass sound system and blast "horror" sounds all around the neighborhood and offer store bought piles of candy. We do odd decorations to our porch areas.

As far as Memorial Day and Labor Day, those are racing days. I want to be at the track!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:38:51 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Halloween, I usually bring out a large all bass sound system and blast "horror" sounds all around the neighborhood and offer store bought piles of candy. We do odd decorations to our porch areas.

We don't decorate for Halloween, but a few times I put an old strobe light in the living room. The kids were hilariously impressed. "Your house is so cool!", as if it were some great effort.  :lol1:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »
Valentine's Day and Halloween are American but we still have a lot of people celebrate them in Australia. Thanksgiving, though, not celebrated at all. I don't even know what date it's on.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 12:56:38 AM »
Every year, they try to sell Halloween to Swedes by flooding the stores with Halloween crap. Thankfully this household remains mostly unaffected.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 11:00:05 PM »
When I was at the shops a few days ago, I saw some pretty cool Halloween stuff. My friend is right into it and sets up a diorama plus decorations every year.

Kayleigh and I are unaffected by Halloween (apart from looking at the cool stuff).
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 11:32:08 PM »
The kids in our street might get dressed up and go "trick or treating". It's not that widespread though, just a few kids got the idea in their heads last year as an excuse for a party and free chocolate. We'll have a few bags of chocolates and if no kids come knocking this year we will eat them ourselves.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 12:44:23 AM »
My parents had trick or treaters come to the door a few years ago and all they had to give the kids was dark chocolate! The kids were thankful though. Until later, I think.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
Every year, they try to sell Halloween to Swedes by flooding the stores with Halloween crap. Thankfully this household remains mostly unaffected.

Do people in your country do costume parties even though it's not for Halloween?  :orly:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »

Do people in your country do costume parties even though it's not for Halloween?  :orly:

:orly: