Author Topic: What did you invent?  (Read 350 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
What did you invent?
« on: September 22, 2018, 05:55:14 PM »
I invented Nutella and banana toasted sandwiches, made in one of those sandwich presses that seals the edges.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What did you invent?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »
Got a couple of brand spanking new candidate psychedelic phenethylamine/psychedelic amphetamine pair. 3-bromo-4-(1,1-difluoromethoxy)-5-methoxyphenethylamine and the corresponding ring-substituted phenisopropylamine (amphetamine), the former is a homolog of mescaline, only with mescaline's 3-methoxy replaced with a bromine atom and a difluoromethoxy group at that all-important 4 position, which is critical for activity in psychedelic phenethylamines, both 2,5-4-X (where X=halogen, alkyl ether, alkyl group, alkylthio group) and 3,4,5-X mescaline type compounds. so 3-bromodifluoromescaline and 3-bromo-difluoromethoxy-TMA)

Daniel Trachsel wrote a paper on fluorinated phenthylamines/psychedelic amphetamines, and 4-difluoromethoxymescaline is active,  at 50-100mg in humans.
It seems like NO research has been done  in the area of putting an electron-withdrawing substituent group at the 3' phenyl carbon, NOTHING, Sasha Shulgin didn't go there, Trachsel didn't go there, Nichols, none of the great ones even thought to try sticking an electronegative functional group on the 3 position. Everywhere else, yes, but not the 3 position, seems like it just hasn't been done. I got lucky in that I was able to obtain, at an obscene price, nearly £100, 5g of the benzaldehyde.From there its a microwave Knoevanagel condensation with nitroethane, for the TMA analog (TMA is the amphetamine version of mescaline, with an alpha-methyl group added on to the sidechain) and with nitromethane for the phenethylamine, both with an amine base as the acetate salt, and then careful reduction, so as not to rip off that bromine atom. I'm as sure as I can be, given its asking for proof of a negative hypothesis, that NOBODY has ever made and tasted these. Will be interesting to try difluoromescaline and difluoro-TMA themselves, easily makeable by reaction of the finished products with sodium methoxide. So I'll save a couple  of hundred mg of each for that.

Difluoromescaline has gone into human beings before, but my new compounds, just need to grab some nitromethane and time to make a work of art:heisenberg:

I can't wait.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
Jack invented a database query and accompanying worksheet which allow users to validate data integrity simultaneously across two systems, allowing users to accomplish weeks worth of auditing in a matter of hours. Have also invented other tools which make work more efficient and accurate, but that particular one was award winning. Am looking forward to starting my new position, whenever that might be, because will be tasked with inventing and building something new which has never been done before.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
Nicely done. Don't you just love it when you come up with or discover short-cuts that don't impact quality, or actually improve it?

I had a moment like that a while back, with Knoevanagel condensations between benzaldehyde and nitroethane plus an amine base as the acetate, usually it takes 6 hours on a steam bath, found out it can be cut down to 15-20 minutes by of all things, taking the turntable out, and microwaving it! 6-7 hours and a less pure product down to 15-20 minutes and a far, FAR cleaner product that takes less recrystallization. I've never used any other method of heating but microwave irradiation ever since. Pretty new territory at the time I began exploring the route, one  other had dropped hints, but I really started up with it. Absolutely wonderful method, if Ihad a boss and official rank, I'd definitely have gotten promoted for that one:heisenberg:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 01:11:08 AM »
I'm part of a standards committee producing a new version of a data pipelining language. We're about 6-7 people, sometimes more, who have been working on this for several years now. We hope to be done early next year. It's not a new invention by any means, but it will improve, standardise, and quite possibly replace some existing ones.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »
Similar to Jack, I used to work for a big bank and every month there would be reconciliation errors in our lending system. As in there would be $10,000,000,000 total balance on one type of loan but the accounting system would show $10,000,000,346.94. Something had gone wrong with the accounting entries and we had to find what it was. It was complicated by having 7 different balances per loan that needed to be reconciled.

Normally it was bank employees setting up parameters incorrectly. Sometimes it was people running "fixes" using SQL and not telling anyone. And sometimes it was software bugs.

We would normally hunt the differences down in about 5 or 10 man days (on average) but one month we had more than usual and the whole team was in the office for a whole long weekend trying to find them. And we only found about half.

A picture formed in my head of what we were effectively doing manually and how we were slowed down by our puny and slow human brains. And I came up with a concept where we could write a program that would run automatically every day and spit out the differences on an account-by-account basis.

And it worked. We had everything on flat unindexed files (rather than database or indexed sequential files) so it was relatively easy to compare movements in balance by loan account with total movements on the general ledger (accounting system) and just spit out anything that didn't match up. We got a few false positives but the real causes of the reconciliation issues stuck out like sore thumbs.

Not nearly as cool as Nutella and banana toasted sandwiches but.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 04:26:17 PM »
An opposite side port cylinder head for the small block Chevy. It's not exactly marketable for the general high performance market but offers an advantage in a few niche racing classes. 

Also, Worcestershire sauce on triscuits.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »
Years ago I knew a couple of guys who worked for a big performance spares shop that was owned by a well-known drag racer.

One time I saw him (the owner) testing a new engine that he had "invented".

He got two straight 6, 4.1 litre engines and basically put one, upside down, on top of the other.

He had the thing running and it made a heck of a lot of noise but I am pretty sure he ever managed to iron out all the bugs and get the thing running in a drag racer as he had planned.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »
What's more are the things I didn't invent. As a child, my father was the only one who drank coffee. There was a tiny coffee pot for him, but he sometimes didn't drink it all. I wondered why coffee didn't come in single serving bags like tea; mom said that was a great idea. In early twenties, single serve coffee bags were on the store shelves and mom said she regretted not picking up on that when I brought it up years before. Now kcups are all the rage for single serve; not sure if that's genius or genius marketing. They seem very environmentally unfriendly with all the plastic waste. When the oldest was an infant, the only way to get an accurate temperature was rectally, so hand the idea of a pacifier with a thermometer. Saw them for sale a few years later, much to my own annoyance. Now there's those fancy forehead and ear ones.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
Do you know what the main difference is between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 06:12:25 PM »
When I was in Year 9 at school, I came up with a test for liquid viscosity to my teacher's surprise.

It involved using tiles that happened to be at the back of the room. Setting them at a certain angle and timing how long liquid poured at the top of them would take to reach the bottom.

I was 14 and rarely had the clarity of mind to come up with things like this. Still, it was heartening to have the teacher agree and get the whole class to do it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »
A Jewish Leprechaun

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:29:41 AM »
What's more are the things I didn't invent. As a child, my father was the only one who drank coffee. There was a tiny coffee pot for him, but he sometimes didn't drink it all. I wondered why coffee didn't come in single serving bags like tea; mom said that was a great idea. In early twenties, single serve coffee bags were on the store shelves and mom said she regretted not picking up on that when I brought it up years before. Now kcups are all the rage for single serve; not sure if that's genius or genius marketing. They seem very environmentally unfriendly with all the plastic waste. When the oldest was an infant, the only way to get an accurate temperature was rectally, so hand the idea of a pacifier with a thermometer. Saw them for sale a few years later, much to my own annoyance. Now there's those fancy forehead and ear ones.

Talking about baby shit, my idea was to place a beeper (those things had become the size of a quarter by that time) inside the bottom of a "coozy" thingy that you would use to keep a kid's sippy cup cool or warm, then when they lose it somewhere, you just push your (kitchen mounted or keychain) "button" and sound it off so you can find it. That way, no more running out of sippy cups then discovering them a couple of weeks later with come questionable form of bleu cheese petrifying inside.

Of course they hit the market not long after.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:31:24 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 07:09:45 AM »
Clever, my dear Renster :)

Well done.

I remember a few moments in my second spesh school where some of my inventions, I just WISH I had brought with me, such as when the lab teacher decided to show us a thermite reaction (thermite is a mixture of an oxide of a less reactive metal's oxide, with a more reactive metal, both in fine powder form, intimately mixed, when ignited, the more reactive metal abstracts oxygen from the metal oxide, in a redox reaction, forming the metal from the less reactive metal's oxide, and the oxide of the more reactive metal, which competes successfully for the oxygen and rips  it off of the less reactive metal. Used for welding, for cutting metal, for casting, and as a military incendiary. Very stable, difficult to ignite, even with a blowtorch, but once it IS lit, it is next to impossible to put it out until the quantity of thermite composition burning has completed reacting and exhausted itself. It'll burn straight through thick steel, and if there is enough, carry on going. About the only way to put it out is to disperse the charge physically, so that any particles are separated from one another sufficiently as to be unable to ignite each other and continue the burn. Even throwing it into deep water won't do, because it burns so damn hot (thousands of degrees), that the temperature is easily enough to split water into it's component elements, hydrogen and oxygen, which themselves ignite or explode, and a CO2 extinguisher will have the same thing happen, the CO2 being split into carbon and O2, providing flammable fuel and pure oxygen to ignite it with.)

But difficult to light, and my science teacher had difficulty doing it until I gave her a few tips, having made thermites from E.g aluminium or magnesium metal mixed with iron oxide, which forms aluminium oxide or magnesium oxide and white hot molten iron. They use this mixture for welding train tracks together apparently, it burns so hot, and the molten steel produced acts as filler for the weld. Needs magnesium ribbon, lithium strips or a prolonged roasting from a propane torch can just about do it as well, as can incendiary mixtures like sodium chlorate mixed with sugar, plus some table salt to slow down the burn, so it burns slow and steady but intense, rather than going off like gunpowder)

But I'd come up with, a while back at the time, a plasticized incendiary mixture that could b safely cast into desired shapes, bound with wax and softened with a little petroleum jelly, based on potassium perchlorate, a very small amount of sulfur to aid ignition (NEVER use sulfur with chlorates, the residual acid  in the sulfur could cause ClO2, chlorine dioxide to form with a chlorate, which is both a powerful oxidizer, and explosive, unstable gas; the combination if used in explosives can autoignite), magnesium powder, and some potassium permangnate, bound with wax and vaseline to plasticize it. That was the base recipe at least.

Difficult to light rather than have he wax melt first, so I'd come up with a phlegmatized chlorate based igniter composition, with aluminium dust and a few other things, that could be packed into drinking straws as a powder, one end of the straw being sealed with  a blob of wax, that could be cast, whole, as a fuse, into the blocks of  castable incendiary mixture. Would burn super-hot,  and easily enough to light thermites, the very top of the straw given a little potassium permangnate filling and topped by a wax disk to stop it falling out. To use, the wax top was pinched to break it and glycerin poured in to soak the KMnO4, which gave about 5-6 seconds before an automatic oxidation reaction took place which would then spontaneously ignite, setting light to the rest of the composition in the macdonalds straw fuse.

Wish I'd have had some of those brought to school with me, because those were easy to light, just break the wax top seal, and pour in glycerine enough to wet the permanganate. Would ignite thermites easily and reliably and a lot easier to set light to than magnesium ribbon strips. For some reason though I didn't bring my explosives and incendiaries kit to boarding school with me, an unfortunate oversight on my part.

Also as a kid, invented a compact little grenade pistol as well, that fired a concussion grenade that had considerable range and detonated with a hefty shockwave, but without producing fragmentation, the effects being solely from the concussive shockwave. Used to go harvesting 'conkers'
like many kids did  (horse chestnut tree seeds, used when mounted threaded on a string, in a traditional english kid's game). Most kids threw sticks repeatedly up at the tree, hoping to knock a few conkers down. All I had to do was pull back the locking catch on the grenade pistol's barrel, insert a shell, aim and fire, and the concussion shell would go flying up into the tree, detonate, and send down a huge rain of conkers, blasted from their stalks :tard:

Got quite a few astonished looks from other kids for some reason, but it sure as shit was effective. And  blasting the conkers down with a grenade launcher  was SO much fun at that age, as  a preteen to young teen, The fzzzzzzzzz-----bang-WHUUMP!  noise, the cloud of smoke rising from the muzzle of my pistol and the concussive shockwave, you could  feel it in your chest, when at a safe range such as up in the trees. Super satisfying :D

Invented and built that all by myself. Using black powder (usually nitrocellulose as coarse granulated guncotton) as propellant, a primary HE as  an initiator for the less sensitive main  charge, of TNT or  nitrated xylene. Was a real pleasure to play with that when I was a nipper. Not to mention the lovely marzipan like sweet scent left in the room after finishing making the TNT, presumably from some toluene being oxidized to benzaldehyde. Made my whole bedroom smell deliciously of freshly cooked cherry bakewell  tarts. Almost good enough to eat, the smell of the bits of yellow oil that
got left as a byproduct from nitrating the toluene with nitric acid and concentrated sulfuric acid mixture smelled soooooooo damn good, it'd fill the whole room with this sweet cherry bakewell pie perfume, like cyanide, marzipan, benzaldehyde, nitrobenzene or either nitromethane or nitroethane.

A lovely change from horrible acrid choking stenches :P

And I've also invented a custom spice blend for chili con carne and steaks, based on fly agaric and peppery boletus mushrooms, the former always listed as poisonous  in guidebooks, but in truth they just need special preparation to use them safely. I never cook meat dishes without it.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 08:52:13 PM »
Speaking of clever, Lestat... :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae