Educational

Author Topic: Music you LOVE to HATE!  (Read 2853 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Music you LOVE to HATE!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »
For my final insult to music lovers everywhere....this little chestnut.  From a very cheesy movie, a very cheesy song.  Sung by the daughter of crooner Pat Boone.  This masterpiece of schlock, imho, holds the record for over exposure, overplayed and just plain done to death.  From the 70's...if people don't remember it........your lucky.  A major "hit" on the radio in that primitive pre-internet era.  Any radio station would play it over and over again and..if memory serves, one dj and station with a sick sense of humor did play it nonstop as a quasi protest against it for a 24 hour period.   Memory fails as to those names.  Anyway, hope your insulin shots are in order...cause here it comes.

*shudders*
I remember that.

Not clicking that link.

I'll stick with the current loop.

Whenever I see duelling Banjos I think of you, Icequeen

Nothing personal, but, keep your feud out of my thread.  Puhleeze and thank you!

"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
Who remembers this one?

The 80's were scary.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »
The first time I went to Austria my girlfriend at the time warned me while we were still on the train "it's still the 80s in Austria".

I thought this was a figure of speech or something... this was in 2002 after all... but I realized what she meant when we got there. The radio stations were all still playing 80s music. The lake resort in the mountains we stayed in was mostly closed down for the winter but there was a cafe and a restaurant still open and they both played 80s music. It was weird but kinda nice, I love 80s music even though most of it is ostensibly crap.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
The first time I went to Austria my girlfriend at the time warned me while we were still on the train "it's still the 80s in Austria".

I thought this was a figure of speech or something... this was in 2002 after all... but I realized what she meant when we got there. The radio stations were all still playing 80s music. The lake resort in the mountains we stayed in was mostly closed down for the winter but there was a cafe and a restaurant still open and they both played 80s music. It was weird but kinda nice, I love 80s music even though most of it is ostensibly crap.

They used to say "it's still the 80's...somewhere". I guess somewhere is Austria.  :laugh:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 07:27:20 PM »

They used to say "it's still the 80's...somewhere". I guess somewhere is Austria.  :laugh:

I need to get back to Austria and find out what decade it is now.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Who remembers this one?

The 80's were scary.

The 80's were shite!   :P
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »
Emo rock.........

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »
emo pop from the 60's...

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »
emo pop from the 60's...

Now there's a painful flashback. 

Two of my grandfather's nephews used to come in from Detroit every summer...after about 5 drinks, that was one of the songs they would sing.  :laugh:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 03:50:35 AM »
For my final insult to music lovers everywhere....this little chestnut.  From a very cheesy movie, a very cheesy song.  Sung by the daughter of crooner Pat Boone.  This masterpiece of schlock, imho, holds the record for over exposure, overplayed and just plain done to death.  From the 70's...if people don't remember it........your lucky.  A major "hit" on the radio in that primitive pre-internet era.  Any radio station would play it over and over again and..if memory serves, one dj and station with a sick sense of humor did play it nonstop as a quasi protest against it for a 24 hour period.   Memory fails as to those names.  Anyway, hope your insulin shots are in order...cause here it comes.

*shudders*
I remember that.

Not clicking that link.

I'll stick with the current loop.

Whenever I see duelling Banjos I think of you, Icequeen

Nothing personal, but, keep your feud out of my thread.  Puhleeze and thank you!

[

I do actually like it but I do have a love hate for it because I have seen the rest of the movie and .....fuck.... but I also think of rednecks (it optimises the very worse stereotypes). When I think of rednecks...ah well doesn't matter. Do have a love hate relationship with the song :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:22:35 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 07:31:45 AM »
emo pop from the 60's...

Now there's a painful flashback. 

Two of my grandfather's nephews used to come in from Detroit every summer...after about 5 drinks, that was one of the songs they would sing.  :laugh:

In the Dave Barry book, "Book of Bad Songs."  This particular song was in the chapter..Songs women hate.  And it's obvious why!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
This tune was a hit back in the 60's on Pop radio.  I hadn't heard it in decades......I don't understand why..... :P  Anywho, I was working out on the floor in walmart and lo and behold...this came on.  I thought they must be dredging the bottom of the barrel for stuff.  But, as it went on, and the song reaches the lyrics, "I felt a knife in my hand....", the tune stopped and another came on.  The end of the sentence was..."and she laughed no more."   hhhmmmmm, somebody at walmart radio must have been asleep at the wheel. 

Why this tune is still around, I can only guess that there are others like it out there. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:31:13 PM by rock hound »

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
What was the fascination with Tom Jones anyways?

My mother said it was the tight pants. :dunno:

Here we go:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
What was the fascination with Tom Jones anyways?

My mother said it was the tight pants. :dunno:

Here we go:

Yeah, he became legendary in the crooners circuit.  Older women would throw their panties at him as he performed and pray that he would kiss them.   :zombiefuck:  He was a big deal in his day. 

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »
My ex shagged him a couple of times when he was 57 and she was 17. Sounds like Tom Jones would fit in well around here.