Author Topic: It's not just nostalgia, modern pop music scientifically sucks ass.  (Read 1696 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: It's not just nostalgia, modern pop music scientifically sucks ass.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 11:17:51 PM »
Metal and heavy metal though, that does sound like noise.
A lot of heavy metal on sheet music looks just like classical music.

When Metallica made the album Master of Puppets, they studied Beethoven for several weeks.
Metallica is far from typical Heavy Metal though. Their songs have discernible (to the average listener) lyrics and melodies and stuff.
I :heart: Metallica, been a fan of theirs since high school.

I also heard that James Hetfield took opera singing lessons before they released "Load". I think that album is excellent.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 01:25:59 AM »
I'd call metallica rock rather than heavy metal. A band can be rock without being metal. Good examples would be metallica, black sabbath, blue oyster cult etc.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 03:25:34 AM »
I heard an interview James Hetfield gave and in it he said their music is pop music because it is popular. :zoinks:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 04:09:05 AM »
Well, that is what "pop" stands for. It's a bit like saying that DVDs are discs.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 06:42:19 AM »
I only listen to radio stations that play current hits. Because when you start complaining that modern music is shit then you're just like every old fart, ever, who made the same fucking pointless complaint. Listening to current music delays my "old fart" status.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 07:01:42 AM »
I only listen to radio stations that play current hits. Because when you start complaining that modern music is shit then you're just like every old fart, ever, who made the same fucking pointless complaint. Listening to current music delays my "old fart" status.

You didn't watch the video, did you?

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 07:51:08 AM »

Did too!

Frankly couldn't give a toss about their "scientific" opinions and research and stuff. You're still a grumpy old fart if you go around complaining that music was much better back in your day. Grumpy old farts have been saying that as long as I can remember - and that's a long time.

And you're probably not old enough to even remember the Beatles while they were still together.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »

Did too!

Frankly couldn't give a toss about their "scientific" opinions and research and stuff.

I think that says a lot about you.

You're still a grumpy old fart if you go around complaining that music was much better back in your day.

No, pop music peaked BEFORE my day. Granted there was some really good music in the 1970's, but it had already begun to slide downhill. Do you remember disco??

Grumpy old farts have been saying that as long as I can remember - and that's a long time.

So what? What these guys are saying is quite different. Actually, what they are saying is basically the same complaint that Frank Zappa made in the mid 70's, that pop music had become a  bland, corporate product that lacked true artistic value. Just listen to his song "Tinsle Town Rebellion". He also spelled this out in several interviews.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
I remember disco. It was mostly the fashion that came with it that made it so awesome.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
I remember disco. It was mostly the fashion that came with it that made it so awesome.

:puke:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »
I only listen to radio stations that play current hits.
Don't choose to listen to music on a regular basis, but the radio station has been tuned to a classical station for many years; perhaps embracing my old fart. A family member began listening to more classical a few years ago; a small stroke combined with an unrelated pharmaceutical treatment created side effects which were taxing to mental and emotional competency, avoiding music with words was suggested. People should listen to whatever makes them feel good, even if a little brain washing is involved in that.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 10:29:53 PM »
I'd call metallica rock rather than heavy metal. A band can be rock without being metal. Good examples would be metallica, black sabbath, blue oyster cult etc.

There's been this strange shifting of the goal posts as to what metal is.

All of these bands were definitely considered mainline metal during the early years of the genre.
Same thing happened with punk. Strangely, the two genres converged.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 12:34:28 AM »
Well I could concede that sabbath is somewhere in between, they've done a fair lot of stuff that is definitely not metal, songs like 'air dance'

And then you've got bands like deep purple, definitely rock rather than metal, kinda blues-rock mixture if anything, like steppenwolf for another example, rock-blues fusion.

Metal, I'd categorize bands like say, mudvayne, five finger death punch, disturbed, tesseract, as metal, without being rock. With something like papa roach as somewhere in between.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 12:55:57 AM »
Sabbath was generally seen as the first real metal band. Defining the whole damned genre.
Steppenwolf, although coining the term, and definitely showing signs (along with many others), I'd see more as proto-metal.

By the time guys like Slayer (say nothing of the late comers you mention) came along, the genre was well established, and pretty much
stood for hard rock. Personally, I couldn't find a distinguishing line that made sense. But then, it got hijacked (sorta like RnB did). The
same thing more or less happened to punk, with the newcomer of hardcore taking the label over. Now, I have a helluva hard time
distinguishing punk from metal - when they used to be very very different.

I guess this is what happens when people allow a label to become too generic. It ends up getting 'purified' into something it wasn't.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »
Tend to associate metal with any 80's thrash music.