Author Topic: Gender pay gap at the BBC  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Gender pay gap at the BBC
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 12:31:02 AM »
You mean like opinion surveys, or small sample sets?

Both. And then some.

Unrepresentative samples can occur either due to small sample size or due to poor sampling methods.

Conscious or subconscious bias on the part of those gathering the stats can play a role.

Questions that are deliberately worded or structured or sequenced so as to be leading can produce misleading outcomes.

Unclear definitions of terms can be an issue. "Have you ever cheated on your partner", for example, could mean many things.

I'm referring to statistics in general, not to this specific case. Which I only shared in order to rile the broflakes.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 05:03:50 PM »

Both. And then some.

Unrepresentative samples can occur either due to small sample size or due to poor sampling methods.

Conscious or subconscious bias on the part of those gathering the stats can play a role.

Questions that are deliberately worded or structured or sequenced so as to be leading can produce misleading outcomes.

Unclear definitions of terms can be an issue. "Have you ever cheated on your partner", for example, could mean many things.

I'm referring to statistics in general, not to this specific case. Which I only shared in order to rile the broflakes.
Yes, I see. My response may have been more related to state of mind. Today it reads like a funny joke. 74% if all statistics are bollocks. Really? Is that one of them? :laugh:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 02:45:13 AM »

Both. And then some.

What is a broflake?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:04 AM »
The BBC numbers tell a different story.

Actually, they don't. You're making the same mistake you made with the Google employee numbers.

You just look at the surface numbers and don't scratch below the surface to see why there's a difference.

BBC has commissioned 3 different independent investigations over recent years and all 3 found that there were no gender bias in the wages of anyone who worked there.

THIS IS A FAKE STORY, PERIOD!

How do you explain the fact that there is a 6.8% gap, then, according to their own numbers? How do you explain the fact that they will cut the salaries of some of their male journalists following the publication of their own study, the one where they claim there is no gender bias?

If you scratch below the surface a bit, you'll find a lot of criticism aimed at their studies. Yes, it's easier to just claim it's fake news but I'm guessing that you wouldn't if you were paid 6.8% less than a female colleague.

As for the Google numbers, you were the one to miss the division between tech and non-tech employees. Statistics are so easily misunderstood, aren't they? It happens to the best of us so it goes without saying that it happens to you. Happy to revisit the discussion if you can produce sources that back up your claims.

I dunno? Fear? Public outrage? Allaying the sponsor's concerns? Being seen as Progressive?

Could be many reasons.

I take it that you don't have any sources either?

How does one quantify such things or measure them AND if one can't should one dismiss them to push a narrative bereft of any of these things? Seems odd.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 11:11:22 PM »
So neither of you can actually produce any sources, then?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 02:39:18 AM »

So you are working on assumptions that do not lend themselves to the kind of critique such as I have offered.
That is okay. I do not mind assumptions. People can assume anything they want.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »

So you are working on assumptions that do not lend themselves to the kind of critique such as I have offered.

Got it. You don't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
 :dunno:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »

Got it. You don't.

Neither does the odeot.   :M

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 01:37:46 AM »

Got it. You don't.

Neither does the odeot.   :M

Brilliantly argued.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »
Considering how the BBC has a history of harbouring paedophiles among other sins...I mean, a pay gap isn't the worst thing they've done by a goddamn mile.  :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 02:21:08 AM »
True, but does it mean that you should only address one problem at a time?

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 05:35:33 AM »
Considering how the BBC has a history of harbouring paedophiles among other sins...I mean, a pay gap isn't the worst thing they've done by a goddamn mile.  :dunno:
good point
True, but does it mean that you should only address one problem at a time?
also good point
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 07:26:31 PM »
THE PAY GAP ISN'T REAL!!!

Neither is ritualistic, Satanic, Child Abuse.
    :M

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 10:12:02 PM »
THE PAY GAP ISN'T REAL!!!

Neither is ritualistic, Satanic, Child Abuse.
    :M

Dude, there's a pay gap. Fact!
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass