Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 112993 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8310 on: January 15, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »
I think I know just what you feel there ren. If your anything like me getting much wanted new stuff, when that glassware comes, plus the other stuff I've got on the 'to buy' list, its a real spazz moment mixed with a 6yo kid just as he wakes on xmas morning and goes running to the tree ready to rip open the big pile of gifts for him....all the glassware I've got coming, the chemicals, and assuming it hasn't been taken by someone else whilst I saved..that lovely technetium 99 plated onto pure gold.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8311 on: Yesterday at 01:19:02 PM »
I haven't made a decision yet, since I'm JUST starting to read about the chemistry, but I MIGHT end up buying some fine tantalum and niobium metal powder, reading about some interesting organotantalum and organoniobium chemistry for hydroaminoalkylations of alkenes..unusual reactions, and it looks like things like niobium oxychloride, niobium pentachloride and tantalum oxychloride and TaCl5 look interesting to play with too. And it looks potentially easy to prepare the pentahalides of either metal by, from the looks of it, something as simple as  packing niobium or tantalum dust into a tube, and heating it from 300 degrees 'C, and passing dry chlorine gas through it, or at higher temperatures, passing dry hydrogen chloride through it, in either case in the absence of O2, as niobium and tantalum both form oxytrichlorides.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.