Educational

Author Topic: James Damore files class action lawsuit against Google.  (Read 373 times)

Offline Minister of silly walks

• Frequent Poster
Re: James Damore files class action lawsuit against Google.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 04:49:20 AM »
I would assume that a lot of people in non-tech roles at a company like Google would have a tech background. A friend of mine recently made it to the final 2 candidates for a senio management position at Google and he is a former software developer. His plan was to get me a non-tech role there as well and I am a former software developer.

I'm not sure what things like tech management qualify as. Technically, they could be non-tech,
given what they actually do, but I suspect they still get rated as tech.

Tech lead roles would be classified as tech. My friend was going for a senior management role overseeing tech and non-tech functions. Definitely non-tech. My current role is business analyst. Definitely non-tech by any stretch.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 06:54:13 AM »
How about business analyst in a tech team? :zoinks:

Was part of a setup like that recently.
To me it looks like you're saying that banning bombs didn't stop bombs going off therefore there is no point to gun control because it's a mental health issue. 

Offline Go Piss Up A Rope

• Drunk assed squadron leader
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Professor of the Profane!!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
Actually, the number of whites at Google is about proportional to the general population. Asians are *gasp* overrepresented while other minorities are underrepresented. This is entirely explicable by culture. No racial discrimination there.

Women are arguably overrepresented too, given that few women find tech to be particularly interesting which was the whole point of his memo, which was backed up by the bulk of science (evolutionary psychology) on the subject.

Er, no.

And you accuse others of lacking reading comprehension.

I figured that you, of all people on this board, would be aware of the Scandinavian Gender Paradox.

Women will never comprise anything close to 50% of the tech workforce. The only way to get numbers that high is to force them

Political Correctness was either conceived by very intelligent people who are just putting us on, or by imbeciles who genuinely believe it.

Offline givvassapaand

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »
I liked that video (honestly I’m not following you around!!). I took part in Simon’s research when I was a kid, though that particular research didn’t add up to much. I have an “unusually long” ring finger, indicating I’m autistic, plus had a little extra testosterone while in the womb. I was never into dolls, preferred stuffed animals. Always liked trains, and art. Not sure my interests were typically masculine or feminine, I guess more feminine. Wasn’t into games except Tetris. I was addicted to Tetris. I always liked jigsaw puzzles, and sliding puzzles. I was in the 99th percentile with those block design puzzles you get in IQ tests.
:dog:

Offline Minister of silly walks

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »

These days with the Agile methodology being popular it is not unusual to have BAs embedded into tech teams. It is also not unusual to get rid of BAs altogether and have tech people interface directly with the business - that is more the strict Agile approach.

Business Analyst is not a tech role. A lot of Business Analysts have no tech background whatsoever. A BA embedded into a tech team might come under a tech cost centre though.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:24 AM »
Actually, the number of whites at Google is about proportional to the general population. Asians are *gasp* overrepresented while other minorities are underrepresented. This is entirely explicable by culture. No racial discrimination there.

Women are arguably overrepresented too, given that few women find tech to be particularly interesting which was the whole point of his memo, which was backed up by the bulk of science (evolutionary psychology) on the subject.

Er, no.

And you accuse others of lacking reading comprehension.

Highlighting what you wrote for your benefit. Compare that to the diagram.

I figured that you, of all people on this board, would be aware of the Scandinavian Gender Paradox.

Women will never comprise anything close to 50% of the tech workforce. The only way to get numbers that high is to force them

Not watching videos. If you want to say something, write.
To me it looks like you're saying that banning bombs didn't stop bombs going off therefore there is no point to gun control because it's a mental health issue. 

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2018, 01:51:41 AM »

These days with the Agile methodology being popular it is not unusual to have BAs embedded into tech teams. It is also not unusual to get rid of BAs altogether and have tech people interface directly with the business - that is more the strict Agile approach.

Business Analyst is not a tech role. A lot of Business Analysts have no tech background whatsoever. A BA embedded into a tech team might come under a tech cost centre though.

I know.

Basically, having BAs in tech teams was a good idea. Few tech people were able to, or actually wanted to, interact with the business in a way the business wanted them to. This was a large-scale agile project so there needed to be a lot of interacting. Multiple scrum teams and so a scrum of scrums for the hapless scrum masters, too, every now and then.

Incidentally and IMHO, large-scale agile projects seldom work well.