Author Topic: UK: Public 'back' taxes to tackle single-use plastic waste  (Read 350 times)

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
UK: Public 'back' taxes to tackle single-use plastic waste
« on: August 18, 2018, 05:28:38 PM »
Public 'back' taxes to tackle single-use plastic waste

There is high public support for using the tax system to reduce waste from single-use plastics, the Treasury says.

A consultation on how taxes could tackle the rising problem and promote recycling attracted 162,000 responses.

Treasury Minister Robert Jenrick said the government was looking at "smart, intelligent incentives" to get plastic producers to take responsibility.

I think most taxes are a damn nuisance but there might be a point to this one.  The effect of these things are unsightly - there is no need to use so much plastic.  Time to simmer down on this one I think.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: UK: Public 'back' taxes to tackle single-use plastic waste
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »
Public 'back' taxes to tackle single-use plastic waste

There is high public support for using the tax system to reduce waste from single-use plastics, the Treasury says.

A consultation on how taxes could tackle the rising problem and promote recycling attracted 162,000 responses.

Treasury Minister Robert Jenrick said the government was looking at "smart, intelligent incentives" to get plastic producers to take responsibility.

I think most taxes are a damn nuisance but there might be a point to this one.  The effect of these things are unsightly - there is no need to use so much plastic.  Time to simmer down on this one I think.

Take responsibility :lol1:  come on the only reason he likes the idea is the more taxes part
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 05:39:02 PM »
It was either the Danish or Dutch government that did a study that found that all things considered, plastic bags were the most environmentally friendly.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »
Single use plastics are not environmentally friendly.

Any chance of providing a link to that government study Pappy? What were the parameters, what was being compared? Can't really comment based on some factoid you've pulled out of your butt. Even if you've cleaned all the jizz off it.

Yes, plastic may be more environmentally friendly in some ways than glass.

When I was in Taiwan 15 years ago single-use plastic bags were already banned. Single use plastic bags have already effectively been banned in Australia, all the major supermarkets have stopped providing them already.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
There's a few million dead turtles who'd likely disagree with you if they could.

(they'd also be smarter than you).
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:38:22 PM »
Take responsibility :lol1:  come on the only reason he likes the idea is the more taxes part

I tend to get a little bit defensive about them because, really, we're heading towards a Tory government that wants less of that sort of thing.  Really it's Labour that likes that sort of caper.

I should say I'm not a Tory but I'd probably vote for them if they do the right things.  I live in a Conservative constituency.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:40:01 PM by Tequila »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
When I was in Taiwan 15 years ago single-use plastic bags were already banned. Single use plastic bags have already effectively been banned in Australia, all the major supermarkets have stopped providing them already.

In Britain it costs 5p to get a plastic bag.  The supermarket does with the proceeds what it sees fit, all that counts is that there is a levy.  The more reputable supermarkets send it to charity.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
If I lived in the UK, I'd probably belong to the EDL.   :evillaugh:

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 09:16:21 PM »
If I lived in the UK, I'd probably belong to the EDL.   :evillaugh:

I did consider going to one of their marches.  I was told that it was unsafe though and not to go.  I've been to enough Orange marches to know the script - a lot of it's bother.