Educational

Author Topic: The Progressive ideology exposed  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: The Progressive ideology exposed
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:19 PM »

It's funny how some people seem to think that because we have an innate tendency to believe in spiritual shit then that makes it more likely to be real.

As Jung pointed out, that makes it a real psychological object, worthy of serious study as such. This was a big impovement on Freud's simplistic, ultra- reductionist notion that it was all about sublimated sexuality.

However,  when you ask the question how objectively "real" these spritual objects such as God are? then you get into very murky waters; much the same murky waters that (1) modern physicists find themselves in. eg, one's definition of objective reality inevitably shifts towards the "unreal"  (or non-physical) .  And there's and increasing  difficulty with  disentangling "objective" and "subjective"

Still, if just dip a toe into those murky waters , it quicky  becomes  evident that our beliefs  about "God" and such are so highlly subjective as to reveal a great more about the believer than they do about this objective persence called God (if such exists) . A result that the atheist can reasonably  crow about!

(2) That kinda chimes with Jesus' oft-ignored declaration that the "kindom of Heaven is within you", methinks.  That is:  buried under so very much subjective rubbish, that you'd have to practicallypeel away your entire personality to find it.  Though that wouldn't necessarilyy make it unreal . Could be super-real instead, couldn't it?

(1) Got a source for that? I'm not calling you out, I'm genuinely interested.

(2) Belief systems are a complicated entanglement of early social conditioning (beliefs about the nature and the existence of God was drummed into myself and almost everyone I know from the time they were a baby) and (probably) evolutionary psychology - an innate tendency to experience and believe in the spiritual, and toss in a healthy serve of wishful thinking (who doesn't want to live in paradise forever with their loved ones?).

I like to "tune out" my skeptical voice (that probably doesn't make much sense to most of you) when I go to a cathedral (I've been to a few of the world's great cathedrals) or a tribal religious ceremony or even sometimes a museum. And that "feeling" you sometimes get of the presence of God or spirits is possibly an innate part of what it is to be human, the result of millions of years of evolution, or at least it seems that way to me.  But at the end of the day I'm still an empiricist, a tooth fairy atheist.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
I can't really see how believing in social justice is a religion.

Because "Social Justice" is based on the Frankfurt School of Cultural Marxism and Marxism is a secular religion.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »

I like to "tune out" my skeptical voice (that probably doesn't make much sense to most of you) when I go to a cathedral (I've been to a few of the world's great cathedrals) or a tribal religious ceremony or even sometimes a museum. And that "feeling" you sometimes get of the presence of God or spirits is possibly an innate part of what it is to be human, the result of millions of years of evolution, or at least it seems that way to me.  But at the end of the day I'm still an empiricist, a tooth fairy atheist.

As someone who walks the line between pure skepticism and mysticism, I do something similar,
but draw the power into myself for my own use.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:58 AM »

Because "Social Justice" is based on the Frankfurt School of Cultural Marxism and Marxism is a secular religion.

Utter bullshit. This is wrong in so many ways that it doesn't actually deserve a serious response.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2018, 03:28:50 AM »

Utter bullshit. This is wrong in so many ways that it doesn't actually deserve a serious response.

I disagree with Marxism being a secular religion. The rest is spot on.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2018, 06:55:12 AM »
Social justice is based on human decency. Something that is often sadly lacks Ng in n its opponents.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »
Social justice is based on human decency. Something that is often sadly lacks Ng in n its opponents.

Naive
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2018, 09:16:05 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice

:yawn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »

If you believe that, then you're what Social Justice leaders call a "useful idiot".

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »

Then you have to disagree with hundreds of scholars who have identified it as such.

It contains the basic ideas of Christianity; Sin (capitalism), Redemption (adherence to Marxist doctrine) and Heaven on Earth (the Marxist State).

This is especially true of North Korea which was described by Christopher Hitchens as the most religious country on earth, who worshiped the Kim family as gods. One of Hitchens famous quotes was (paraphrasing) "after reading the biblical description of Heaven, it struck me as little more than a celestial North Korea".

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »

I disagree with Marxism being a secular religion.

It shows many of the same properties that a religion does. Then again, I hold that scientism is a secular religion.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice#Liberation_theology

:LMAO:

There's nothing secular about liberation theology. It's directly drawn from the New Testament.

Interestingly, Marxist Economics are well in alignment with medieval, Aristotelian principles, insofar as they are formalized.
What's surprising is how far the Catholic Church (Protestants are more understandable here) from those views.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:07:36 AM by Calandale »

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »

It's funny how some people seem to think that because we have an innate tendency to believe in spiritual shit then that makes it more likely to be real.

As Jung pointed out, that makes it a real psychological object, worthy of serious study as such. This was a big impovement on Freud's simplistic, ultra- reductionist notion that it was all about sublimated sexuality.

However,  when you ask the question how objectively "real" these spritual objects such as God are? then you get into very murky waters; much the same murky waters that (1) modern physicists find themselves in. eg, one's definition of objective reality inevitably shifts towards the "unreal"  (or non-physical) .  And there's and increasing  difficulty with  disentangling "objective" and "subjective"

Still, if just dip a toe into those murky waters , it quicky  becomes  evident that our beliefs  about "God" and such are so highlly subjective as to reveal a great more about the believer than they do about this objective persence called God (if such exists) . A result that the atheist can reasonably  crow about!

(2) That kinda chimes with Jesus' oft-ignored declaration that the "kindom of Heaven is within you", methinks.  That is:  buried under so very much subjective rubbish, that you'd have to practicallypeel away your entire personality to find it.  Though that wouldn't necessarilyy make it unreal . Could be super-real instead, couldn't it?

(1) Got a source for that? I'm not calling you out, I'm genuinely interested.

(2) Belief systems are a complicated entanglement of early social conditioning (beliefs about the nature and the existence of God was drummed into myself and almost everyone I know from the time they were a baby) and (probably) evolutionary psychology - an innate tendency to experience and believe in the spiritual, and toss in a healthy serve of wishful thinking (who doesn't want to live in paradise forever with their loved ones?).

(1) Can't cite a  source as such. It's an impression that's grown  in my mind over the course of decades, finding confirmation in multiple souces of info.  Already pretty well formed i  my youth , when I was taking a big interest in Mathematics and Physics, in a quest to understand the Universe on a fundamental level. Later I drifted  towards Psychology, because I felt (and still fel) that the processes of  perception and cognition are more fundamental to our understanding of tbe Universe than "objective reality" is. I'm also attracted by the notion that matter may be the creation of mind, rather than vice-versa (though that would be to see "mind" as a sort of universal  substance, in accordance with Buddhism, not to suppose that out indivdual minds  have much impact on the whole)     In any case , our perceptions of the material world  (and other people especially ) are  certainly  a creation of our individual minds, and subject all to kinds of bias and intersting errors.

Oops, i'm rambling. I think that The Tao of Physics (Fritjof Kapra) had the biggest impact on me in terms of crystallising my own impressions re. Physics,  and finding support for my vatious  theories and opinions,  That book was published way back in the seventies, but it still gets rave reviews , so that might actually be the best thing  thing to cite as a "source" .

(2) I think our relationship with religion is actually a lot more complex and interesting than that.   With reference to Jung again: the recurring mythological themes in religion (as well as ...umm... mythology ) are said to   correspond to inborn psychological archetypes.  Evolution is clearly implicated in providing our minds  with these  archetypes, but that's not to suppose that their purpose is purely biological. They become all the more intersting in the latter part of life, when ourr biological role is largely spent (yeah, you can call that sublimation, but that theory doesn't take you very far. You need to drop it, hypothetically,  before you can really begin get to grips with this stuff). Anyway, most of this archetypal material is unconscious, of course.  According to Jung (and according to my own observations) our unconscious minds are a damned sight bigger than our consciopus mind (or ego) and contain a lot of undeveloped potential, not merely repressed material.

When archetypal material impinges  on the conscious mind ,  it tends to  have a numinous  feeling, as if one were in contact with something much greater than onself.   Which indeed is the case . But to mistake it for the "voice of God" can have some nasty consequences, as we;'ve seen. It can also have sublime consequences, but best to leave God out of it.   

The one thing we humans can say about God with any certainty is that our human brains (or our human mind-sets, more to the point)  are far too small to encompass him, so the best we can do is create and recreate him in our own image.  The idea that we can realistically describe , define and speak for him is sheer arrogance.

I see "spirituality " and "religion" as two opposite ends of a spectrum. "spiritualiy" represents that semnse of connection with something larger than oneself, together with  a sincere attempt to comprehend it, whereas Religion results from the formalisation and ossification of spiritual experience, and is often utilised to destructive, primitive and/or egotistic ends. Any call for blind faith in some immutable doctrine is bound to run counter to the growth of understanding , isn't it? Looks to me (from the evidence of the Gospels) like Jesus was a highly spiritual sort of guy, but that Christianity has largely misappropriated that spirituality.   That said Christianity works on a spiritual level ,  in a fashion, because the potency of its symbols can inspire  that sense of connection, but then the various doctrines and institutions work to discourage the convert from developing his own understanding.  Same goes for other religions, of course, even Buddhism. Siiddharta Gautama spoke out against the worship of graven images (as did Moses) and how do most  his followers repond to his sage advice? By worshipping graven images of Siddharta Gautama  :LOL:

Corrupt as heck, but a  harmless response to a harmless human need , I should think. Not a problem, really, not until people start insisting that the everybody else adopt the exact same symbols and rituals .  Then it becomes repressive.  But those  repressions are not promped by spirituality , but more by a drive to put a lid on spirituality , and reduce life down to a simple set of explit rules. Other non-religious docrines serve the same pupose and excite the same fervour as people on this board have often pointed out. It's all exceedingly human  and natural (God help us!  :LOL:)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:49:06 AM by Walkie »

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
^ P.S. actually there's one important practical reason for exploring this unconscious, archetypal material, that is: so long as it remains unconscious and unadmitted by the ego , it causes havoc, socially.  We inevitably project it all onto other people , resiuting in witch-hunts, daft  infatuations,  mayhem, injustice and murder. (you name it!) .
 I do believe he Buddhist emphass on compassion and the Chistain emphasis on brotherly love both reflect the fact  that nothing short of true concern for his fellow man, and genuine regret for past failures  can   make your average human  being turn and look himself inthe face.  Our self-love would much sooner look away and create a comfortable illusion., because the truth looks pretty damned ugly at first sight . But that ugliness is just the result of being out-of-balance. It can be redeemed, though not by reciting catechisms, but rather by slowly and cautiously expanding the ego to integrate all the rejected material. (quickly and incautiously can literally drive you mad)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:01:00 PM by Walkie »