Author Topic: Happy Christmas Everybody  (Read 437 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Happy Christmas Everybody
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »
I got a giant box of candy!! :GA:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 09:12:08 PM »
I got biscuits and some weird white Christmas stuff except it's chocolate. Tastes ok.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »
Happy xmas
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 05:51:23 AM »
I got biscuits and some weird white Christmas stuff except it's chocolate. Tastes ok.
Feel really sick now because I have eaten too much sweet food.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
Feel really sick now because I have eaten too much sweet food.

I also got new sheets which was super awesome because I wanted and needed them, but mom quilts so she wants to hoard any discarded fabric and she was bugging me for my old sheets. She finally talked me into it, but then I changed my mind when I was putting the new sheets on the bed, so I stuffed the old ones into a trash bag thinking I could toss them without her noticing and claim I forgot. She walked into the room just as I was putting the finishing touches on the bed, and asked if I saved her my sheets. I freaked out and said, OMG MOM, I THINK I JUST NEED YOU TO LET ME DISPOSE OF MY OLD SKANKY BEDDING!! :GA: She cracked up laughing and said, okay okay, just throw them away.
 :lol1:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:09 PM »
That, is because you are sweet enough already my dear Renster :)

I got two gifts from my old man, one was so utterly fucking dog shit he left me with it and immediately went and got me a replacement. For some reason he thought I'd want SPOONS. Yes, spoons. Because I have a tendency to be somewhat...hard on them, when measuring out chemicals and I've disintegrated a few and rusted the bejeezis out of quite a few more. So he got me 3 packs of spoons for measuring out my chemicals, but also got me a very, very good penknife. Plenty quality tools, and a pair of blades sharp enough to shave with. And realizing that he REALLY fell short of the mark there with the spoons, and the look on my face, he immediately went out and got me several full-range sets of lab beakers, with sizes right down to 5ml ultramicroscale ones. Not sure how many sets, but he got me at least two, minimum, and a chemist can NEVER have too many beakers. And with beakers he doesn't have to worry about joint sizes etc. since they haven't got any.

And the ones I've got are all currently full of this, that, and the other. None of the contents needing to be mentioned by name.

Decided to splash out on 100g at least of LiAlH4 maybe a half kilo, or go somewhere in the middle as its pretty expensive, a liter of pyridine, a big jug of piperidine, some cyanuric chloride, might get myself a kg or two of either sodium or potassium cyanide while I'm at it (preferably NaCN, since the sodium cation is lighter than potassium, so per mole of NaCN one gets more cyanide anion for one's money. And no, I don't intend on using it to poison anybody. Cyanides have far better uses than that, and its most versatile stuff, aside from its infamy as a poison. Artistry, rather than murder is my aim). Going to grab myself some ammonium formate, some formamide....I've got quite the shopping list. Oh, and a few kg of iodine. Need more anhydrous ethanol as well..some calcium carbide...running down to my last few liters of methanol and isopropyl alcohol too.

If I've enough money left over, that can go on lots and lots of glassware, since I've got 700-something in the bank, and due to get paid any day soon to bring it to over a grand. Meaning....my (belated) xmas gift to myself is going to be as luxurious as the spoons were shitty. Mmmm....LAH, Red-Al, cyanide, ohboy, I'm salivating at the thought.

I'd quite like a couple of samples of arsenic too, for an element collection, as well as antimony and some of those lovely looking stepped, iridescent bismuth metal crystals. Nitrogen I can get easily of course, by deoxygenating air, or buying some liquid nitrogen and making one of those glass electrifiable glow-discharge tubes for gases which ionize the contents when the tubes are electrified, giving off the characteristic spectrum of light when the gas turns to plasma. And as for the rest of the pnictogens, the only other non-superheavy ultra-radioactive element with a half life so short the element cannot BE kept, decaying away in moments in a puff of radioactive disintegration, is phosphorus. And I've already 2kg of red phosphorus, so its a matter of making my own samples of the other allotropes and their polymorphs (fr.ex in the case of white phosphorus, it comes in cubic, monoclinic etc. forms), which I've been reserving for the first project, after building a suitably artistic, classy looking display case, since there a lot of difficult, challenging prizes to hunt down and bag, like violet phosphorus, hittorf's alpha-metallic phosphorus, scarlet (Schlenk's phosphorus, made by crystallizing red phos from phosphorus tribromide, which in and of itself, I'll make a good lot of, since it is very, very useful stuff)

Got a great bargain on the red P a while back, got money off, minimum order was 1kg, bought 2kg and each kilo was cheaper as a result, and came out to 70-something-80 euro per kg, since it was from a source who acts as a middleman for sigma-aldrich, one of the Big Name chemical supply houses, but who are a bunch of snooty cocksuckers who won't even sell so much as a drop of distilled water or a single grain of common table salt to anyone not affiliated with an organization. Guy takes orders since he can get things from them, takes a financial cut and resells anything to anyone. (well, presumably, pretty damn certain he wouldn't sell to al-qaeda, ISIS or other such scum, but to citizen scientists the guy in question is truly a boon, in that he can get the ungettable, and supply us, at a fair price added on top for himself, with all the unobtainium we could dream of. And since Sigma-Aldrich just won't deal with individuals (knowingly at least) unlike sellers who will, there is no 'hard to get precursor premium' tacked on to their prices. Places that might say, sell red phosphorus to meth cooks would jack the price up (no, that isn't the reason I wanted the RP) precisely because its hard to get, but that factor doesn't even get entertained in the minds of the tightfisted buggers at Sigma.

And their products are quality, too, they'd not have the huge business that they do if their stuff was shit)

So really, my xmas is yet to come.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »

Be sure to share with your bitches! :gopher: :chocolate: :gopher: :gopher: :gopher:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »
I'm not a bitch, his or anyone else's, but I want candy too!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »

Be sure to share with your bitches! :gopher: :chocolate: :gopher: :gopher: :gopher:

Nope it's all for me. One of my bitches gave me the candy, and the other ones can't eat sugar.  :zoinks:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »
Can't link to it (almost certainly against the host TOS in more ways than I can even begin to picture, and most of them I'd much rather NOT picture) But a description is funny enough.

Couple of evilly grinning little elves with sparking tapers, sneaking up behind santa, while he's bent over gifts, inserting a 'gift' of their own that has a lit, sparking fuse on one end, before santa bursts like a person-popsicle in a microwave :autism:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »
That doesn't sound like it would be against the rules.  :dunno:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 02:14:02 AM »
It wouldn't. Its just that its a decorative festive border on a site where things are posted that in many cases probably aren't legal at all. And some pretty sick shit if it is in some cases.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »
I bought myself a load of new vape gear and flavour concentrates, just before christmas. had fun tasting my new concoctions.

turkish delight flavour!  (i can't eat that anymore, cos it has cornstarch in it)
plain chocolate Bounty bar flavour! (can't eat that either)
My  rum truffle flavour needs more work to get it right, as does my mohito flavour, but the rum and black is good!

I'm the only person i know who likes the taste of alcoholic beverages better than the effects of them! I don't drink, honest!   (i don't need drink to get sozzled) but I've had an appropriately boozy  christmas nonetheless. :)

Oh, and my son helped make Walkie's Awesome Nut Roast again.  Two of 'em! One was meant for the freezer , but never made it that far *burp*

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
With my nicotine vapers (I've a few of them, and even more batteries that don't work but manage to charge. I make sure to fully charge them if they die but will still charge, that way I can recover more lithium metal when I gut them in a bowl of petrol to make sure they don't catch fire [I know that sounds paradoxical, opening a pyrophoric-ish (lithium is pretty calm compared to sodium or potassium) alkali metal under petrol, but opening them, even storing them under something petrol-like, well, not actually petrol, since Li can reduce aromatics like traces of benzene, toluene etc. to the saturated derivatives, cyclohexane and methylcyclohexane respectively in the right conditions. Not sure if it'll do so over time, but its the Birch-Benkeser reaction when it does, often dissolved in anhydrous liquid ammonia, or else in a variant I prefer so as not to have to bother timing orders for dry ice to liquefy my own anhydrous NH3 from anhydrous ammonia gas, at nearly -40 degrees 'C. Its often used to make meth by reducing pseudo/ephedrine with lithium (sodium or potassium could also be used, sodium being actually preferable as it doesn't have anywhere near the tendency towards overreduction and dearomatization of the phenyl ring to a cyclohexane, the product, propylhexedrine IS a stimulant, but, likely due to its non-rigidly planar conformation, its much less potent and effective than methamphetamine given a quantity of each of equal weight, the propylhexedrine/cyclohexane ring in place of meth's phenyl ring would produce a lot less and a lot rougher effects)

Or used for reducing phenyl rings partially to a cyclohexadiene, if one is aiming to go for something like a Diels-Alder, bit with care, and not overused, Li can e used. The foil works nicely for my preferred non-cryogenic liquid ammonia version, bubbling a constant stream of anhydrous ammonia gas into anhydrous diethyl ether, the ether having a suspension of battery-recovery lithium chopped up under the dry ether to be used in the reaction with scissors, since it is in the form of an extremely thin foil, giving it a wide surface area, and when chopped into little tiny 1-2mm-wide flitters the surface area of lithium mined from gutted e-fag batteries is ideal, since there is a lot of it, E-fags needing to have a high storage capacity, they have a lot of Li to be had, and the thin foil nature, when one handles it during the gutting properly to avoid oxidation before use, means it reacts a lot faster and more effectively than my lab-grade lithium, which is in several (3-4) mm-thick squares about an inch wide on each edge. and during this in-situ Birch-Benkeser, if I ever need to use the reaction, battery Li actually works a lot better than does lab grade stuff, since it is as thin as kitchen foil if not thinner, but still a lot of it.

My old man just gave me another shot of the rum I got him. HE doesn't get why *I* shot it down, whilst I cannot get why anyone would sip slowly at a spirit. It just means more burning. Better belt it down in one go. I know if I were to drink 3/4 of a liter of rum or vodka in a single glassfull its a lot easier and more pleasant than sipping and sipping until most of a liter is gone. My stomach would HATE me if I did that. But if I down it in one single swallow then all I need is to chase it with a bottle of the best beer I have around, or at a pinch, even coke (the drink, not the peruvian marching powder. THAT coke is alright, once cleaned up of cuts and impurities but its fucking expensive and short acting, and besides there are MUCH nicer more euphoric stimulants out there, like 3-fluorophenmetrazine :D)

Lol, I got offered that shot not long after I'd taken my evening morphine/oxy for the moment as well as my antiseizure med and a nitrazepam pill (a REALLY strong, long-acting sedative-hypnotic and to many rather euphoric benzo....and I've always had a personal liking for nitrobenzodiazepines, the nitro group seems to be particularly suited to making for a highly euphoric, very hypnotic and usually quite long lasting benzo)