Educational

Author Topic: Blitz: The Bombs That Changed Britain  (Read 145 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Blitz: The Bombs That Changed Britain
« on: December 17, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
I've been watching this series on BBC i-player:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b09gt9w0
Makes a change from looking at images of shelled-out Syrian cities!
But seriously, it's astonishingly good, and very moving. Episode 3 is especially intersting, because it also looks at  struggle for worker's rights that was happening, simultaneously with the town being blitzed. 
I was born in 1959, 15 years after the War ended, and grew up with stories of the Blitz, told by the older generations, and played on  the ruins of  bombed-out houses, still standing (Reconstruction took a bloody long time) . My Mum told of sheltering under a kitchen table, as the bombs rained down ; and of the night when her grandfather unwittingly saved his entire  family from certain death by taking too long to lace his boots! They were all planning to go to nearest  bomb shelter; but before he'd finished putting his boots on,  the shelter was hit. There were no survivors.

Nothing I'd heard as a kid had quite the same impact as this series.  It uses eye witness accounts and all kinds of archive materal , plus interviews with families of the people affected by the Blitz to paint a  highly intimate picture.

You also learn some pretty grim things about the cynism of the British Government at the time. e.g.  research on the psychological impact on Blitz surcvivors was deliberately misrepresented, so as to justify the deliberate fire-bombing of German civilians.  The rationale  was that this would destroy the enemy's morale, and thus hasten the end of the war. The research did not actually support this conclusion.  Indeed, it seems more  likely that these actions prolonged the war instead, because it distracted the airforce's efforts from bombing  actual military targets.

Hope you foreigners can find a way to watch it.  The bloody BBC won't let you watch their programmes  these days, unless you're resident here, have a TV licence and an account with them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:53:48 AM by Walkie »