Author Topic: Update from Walkie  (Read 586 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Update from Walkie
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »
Just in case you're all wondering where the heck I got to, this time....

Well. first  ( as Pyraxis maybe reported) I wore myself out visiting my son in Sheffield, and suffered the usual backlash from doing anything halway interesting out-there-in-the-real world.  Much sleeping and grogginess ensued, and the house got in a mess.  Bah-de-blah. The usual thing. Not very intersting, I know. It was great visiting my son though. No regrets  :)

Subsequent to that, I've suffered a series of increasingly severe "food reactions" , with no clear idea what's causing then and what to avoid.  These have been (and still are) quite horrible.  But the latest one sems to be wearing off , now , thank goodness.

I've been desperately cutting out the few remaining nice things in my diet , in an effort to stabilise the situation.  But today, I think I might have cracked it. (can't be sure) .   I had a brainwave , which goes something like this:

Oh fuck! OMG. I've unthinkingly developed an extremely stupid habit (It seemed like a good idea idea at the time)  That is, I've been soaking the gunged-up coils  from my vape tanks in Vodka, yes vodka,  to clean them. I'll, bet you all know that Vodka usually has gluten in it, don't you? Yeah,   so do I, now I think of it, and now that I've troubled to check.  :fp:

So today I am doing my best to remove the sodding coils from every single tank in my collection (can't possibly recall which ones have ben cl;eaned)  and replace with pristine new coils, after thoutoufghly cleaning the tanks with anything other than vodka. I'm also regretfully disposing of  any bottle  of my home-made juice that happened to have a pipette inserted in it recently  ..cos I recently extended the vodka idea to cleaning pipettes, didn't I? Meantime, I'm smoking, cos that's  probablly much better for my health, ATM *chuckle* . It is all going exceedingly slowly and clumsily cos I doooooon't feeel weeeell. *wailllllll*

But, hey!  at least I can look at the PC without feeling nauseous, ATM. So Hi All ! *wave*  Hope you're all having a better time than I am.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:43:04 PM by Walkie »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Update from Walkie
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
Walkie!!!

I knew it had to be more than just the travel. Though I had still been blaming it on the computer problems.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
Check the brand of vodka.  Some are actually gluten free here (they use corn, potatoes, and grapes).

Smirnoff Sourced (gluten-free) comes in fruit flavors...Crystal Head is considered "grain based" but from corn and peaches.

Hope you feel better soon Walkie. 

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
Walkie!!!

I knew it had to be more than just the travel. Though I had still been blaming it on the computer problems.

Yep, I've had "write apologetic mail to Pyraxis" on my ever-expanding To-Do list. D'Oh.  Shoulda just wirtten the bugger. 

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
Check the brand of vodka.  Some are actually gluten free here (they use corn, potatoes, and grapes).

Smirnoff Sourced (gluten-free) comes in fruit flavors...Crystal Head is considered "grain based" but from corn and peaches.

Hope you feel better soon Walkie.
Thanks, IQ :)
I'm just assuming the worst. cos
1) I have the same issues with corn as with gluten, so the chance of it having corn instead of gluten is not reassuring
2) I don't actually drink , so i just bought the cheapest Supermarket brand I could get, purely for use as a sterilising agent in food-related contexts   (cos I have issues with chlorine -releasing chemicals as well) . Cheap Supermnarket brand does not bode well and is harder to investigate.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 06:03:17 PM »
Yep, I've had "write apologetic mail to Pyraxis" on my ever-expanding To-Do list. D'Oh.  Shoulda just wirtten the bugger.

If I forgive you in advance, will that make you feel less guilty and more likely to do it?   :chin:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »

If I forgive you in advance, will that make you feel less guilty and more likely to do it?   :chin:
Well I kinda wrote it already here. Well, at at least I presented my list of excuses (though clean forgetting about PC issues, cos they paled into insignificance. Not horribly serious, and I've just been too washed-out to tackle 'em properly )

Meh, I'll get onto IM in a bit, methinks (assumming I don;t drop off again. just one o rtwo thing I really ought to do first.

I had the most unsettling dream last night, BTW.  I spotted the ghost of my dead friend, David, wafting along the street , along with his pet (who looked like a sort of featherless variecoloured turkey)  and excitedly called to him. He turned round and then I saw to my horror that he wasn't a ghost after  all , but a zombie. And both he and the turkey had me fixed in a baleful stare. 

It prolly means something harmless ofc, but I've been way too sick and unnerved to even think about analysing it . *chuckle*

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Hmm, now I write it down, I guess it was some kinda cynical comment on Christmas *chuckle* And quite right too! umm, oooh, what;'s more,  seing as I can't partake of the usual festive fare , I've mixed up some christassy vapes (eg some rum truffle flavour...in the hope that chocolate (the one dodgy ingredient)  is vapable for me, even  if not edible. and some other boozey flavours and creamy flavours , in case the chocolate makes me ill) . Maybe the dream was telling me that the whole freaking lot could make me ill, if I carry on with this vodka nonsense.   Huh. Maybe my better half (my unconscious) had it all worked out long before I did?  as usual.  And yeah, I have turned into a zombie, of course.   Wow!  that was such an easy one to decode, as it turned out.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:32:04 PM by Walkie »

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
Ok, I'm on IM and will check back periodically.

Not following your intuitive leaps here, but then, we have been out of touch for a while. I'm all for you not getting sick, though.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
Glad you're able to investigate the possible cause(s) of your susceptibility.  I stay away from vodka because it has an awful smell to me.  Blackberry wine on the other hand............
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
I don't like Vodka either. But SO has the bar...I've frittered away probably a year of my life by now in the liquor store waiting for him to get his orders every week.

You know how you read the cereal box every morning...because it's there?...well...I have read sooo many liquor bottles.  :laugh:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
Hi Walkie. I also have a very sensitive tummy, and travel often has uncomfortable consequences.

One of the problems is that you are dealing with food servers who often believe that food sensitivities are imaginary.
Eating, for example, half a large pizza that you paid extra for because it was supposed to be gluten free (but wasn’t) doesn’t end well for people who need to share a confined space with you over the next couple of days. Bad news in a car, worse on an airplane.

Food additives like MSG can be even worse than gluten or dairy. 

Have you tried Colofac (prescription medication)? I know that it doesn’t work for everyone, but I find it essential when travelling.

I hope you feel better soon. 
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 01:01:20 AM »
Welcome back, Walkie. :)

Never liked vodka myself. I always preferred whisky.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 03:54:27 AM »
I plan to be drinking a bit of Vodka during Christmas.

Welcome back.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
Welcome back, Walkie. :)

Never liked vodka myself. I always preferred whisky.

Thanks :) Unfortunately Whisky always has gluten in it. So, I do hope you don't have the usual spazz  gluten sensitivity? Way back, when I drank, I used to much  prefer  Whisky too. ( I was only using Vodka for cleaning, cos it's colourless and relatively flavourless)  And even after giving up drinking, and even after becoming extremely sensitive to gluten, I still used buy a bottle of  Whiskey to offer to guests at Christmas. Then one Christmas, a guest prevailed on me to just taste, just have one little taste, pleeease, of  the amazingly good single malt Whisky that I'd provided that Christmas.  And I gave in, clean forgetting about the other reason why I disn't drink whisky :fp: . Fortunately, the guest had gone home before the symptoms kicked in.  And I don't think I'm ever likely to forget that whisky has gluten in it, not ever   again.  The whisky did taste really good, btw :) but no whisky tastes that good!

Brandy is OK , gluten-wise,  BTW, And so is rum,  I've been majking up some brandy and rum flavoured e-liquids, cos I've become that rare creature who likes the taste of alcoholoc beverages much better than I like their effects *chuckle* That's pretty much opposite to how I used to be! As I a kid of 20, I used drink to mute the inner pain and the  outer loud inanity of jolly social gatherings. I seem to have developed much  better coping mechanisms now :) Mind you, on the rare occasions  that I let myself get dragged into  a party, people still tend to think that  I'm the drunkest person in the room. *chuckle* .
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:25:19 AM by Walkie »