Educational

Author Topic: Crock Pot Recipes  (Read 466 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Crock Pot Recipes
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »
I think in part because of lack of room in the fridge.  :/

Is the freezer just as full?

I know I'm too late to talk you down from anything, but I'm a huge fan of cooking big batches of things and freezing them into meal-sized portions to minimize the amount of cooking effort per result.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
I think in part because of lack of room in the fridge.  :/

Is the freezer just as full?
Yeah.

I know I'm too late to talk you down from anything, but I'm a huge fan of cooking big batches of things and freezing them into meal-sized portions to minimize the amount of cooking effort per result.
See... that still sounds like a lot of effort, to me.  :/
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »
I boiled it again, had a bowl, threw the rest away.  I also didn't really like the composition of it that much in the first place- I tried to put too much stuff in it.

If someone wants to talk me down, I'm going out for several hours before I return to the crock pot of death, so there's still time.
Am making a crockpot veggie soup tomorrow for the vegan eldest; wish me luck. :laugh:
Luck!
It turned out well. It was bland until she got home and added more seasoning, then it was awesome. :laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
And now, I learn about food storeage.

According to the internet, I should probably throw away the food I made because it's spent too long at room temp (like a day and a half total, at least, and counting).  Considering re-heating it and eating it anyway.  It's just potatoes, some frozen veggies and some canned beans.  There's bouillon in there but no actual meat products.

Oh good lord. Don't waste food. Most things are just fine at room temp for a couple days.

When I make a stew or something, I usually intentionally leave it out so it's easier to warm up
and to nibble on at will.

In terms of health, avoid dumpster diving on hot summer days, if possible. Otherwise, it's probably fine.
I've gotten sick off food twice - both times from the supermarket and eaten soon after shopping. Once
with some shrimp and once with some spinach (e-coli that time).

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 02:30:11 AM »
And now, I learn about food storeage.

According to the internet, I should probably throw away the food I made because it's spent too long at room temp (like a day and a half total, at least, and counting).  Considering re-heating it and eating it anyway.  It's just potatoes, some frozen veggies and some canned beans.  There's bouillon in there but no actual meat products.

Oh good lord. Don't waste food. Most things are just fine at room temp for a couple days.

When I make a stew or something, I usually intentionally leave it out so it's easier to warm up
and to nibble on at will.

In terms of health, avoid dumpster diving on hot summer days, if possible. Otherwise, it's probably fine.
I've gotten sick off food twice - both times from the supermarket and eaten soon after shopping. Once
with some shrimp and once with some spinach (e-coli that time).

My wife leaves food out at room temperature for a few days - curries, casseroles, soups etc. Usually containing meat. Reheat once in the morning and once in the evening and we usually finish it before it smells too funky. Open the lid and have a look, if it looks back at you it's time to throw it out.

I'm not dead yet.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 11:43:43 PM »
Maybe you could do a search on Facebook. My niece likes loads of sites featuring crock pot recipes and they all like to say how easy they are.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 01:48:01 PM »
If its been left out for a day, a day and a bit, it isn't going to off you elle. You'd have to have started with food already contaminated with the bacterial toxins or organisms that were already present and not killed by cooking, which is pretty unlikely. Can't say I've any personal advice based on experience, because I've not got any to give, because I do not eat vegetables at all. But I've eaten enough meat stuff thats been out during the day and just nuked portionwise to make sure it is all good and hot enough to eat. I'm still alive, dishes have been based on varying combinations of meat, beef usually, pulses, usually kidney beans or chickpeas, or both. Along with mushrooms, although the latter rarely would be relevant in a species-specific way to those you are likely to eat, elle, only perhaps oyster and shiitake, perhaps shimeiiji or enokitake if you are adventurous and your supermarkets good. Or morels if they are really good, really, really, really good. But mostly they are ones I've gone and grubbed up out of the dirt, leaf litter etc., or hacked off trees with the knife I take out when hiking for just such mushroom-related tasks...digging them up, cutting them off, slicing bits of them to expose the flesh for chemical reagent application for field identification with chemical tests.

Anyhows, I am still here. I HAVE had food poisoning, but not from anything I've cooked...possibly once in my life, but I couldn't swear to that. Pretty sure that I've never poisoned myself. Not food poisoning at least. I did once have a real shitty time after eating a kind of mushroom, although the textbooks all say the egg-stage of them is edible, if poor eating. I knew exactly what I had collected and that the identification was correct. The books were wrong. Those little fuckers were NOT fit for food, and they made me very ill for a night. Spent all night puking and puking and puking and puking, out of both ends. Sometimes at the same time, which is really not an experience I'd suggest you try. (don't eat the egg-stage of Phallus impudicus, the stinkhorn, and I'd avoid the eggs of any of its related species either. You couldn't eat the adults if you wanted to, that would simply be physically impossible, because they give out an extraordinarily noxious stench, that is quite simply, fucking brutal. If a Phalloid mushroom is growing in the woods and you are taking a hike, then all you need to do is have the wind coming towards you and be within a fair few hundred meters and you will KNOW that you've either got a Phalloid type fungus of some species or another, or else the carcass of a rotting large animal in a very advanced state of putrescence, because Phalloids give out, when adult, the filthiest, most godawful, virulent reek of a mixture of rotting flesh and rancid human shit. Carries for a bloody long way too, cause is a mixture of very volatile alkyl sulfides and dialkyl di- and trisulfides, detectable at the extremely low level of a single part per trillion in air in the case of dimethyl trisulfide. The fungi in question give off a nasty mixture of alkyl sulfides, dialkyl di- and trisulfides, alkyl mercaptans that carries for one hell of a long way, especially for a little blob present as a thin layer on the surface of the knob-end of what looks, save for the white color of the stem, and its spongy texture, looks precisely like a human cock, with it's bell-end covered in greenish diarrhea, growing out of an egg-stage, which is of a size of around that of a whole human scrotum. If there are three, and they usually grow in clusters, then it looks just like a dick growing out of a ruptured infected scrotum with a bollock on either side, and it smells...well you've got to smell one, or else smell the alkyl sulfide compounds that cause the stench themselves (albeit in extremely diluted form, the pure stuff I'd not dare to make, it'd be the kind of thing you could cause the evacuation of an entire city with)

The books do say the eggs are edible when young.....don't put THOSE mushrooms in your crock-pot, no matter what the textbooks say, they might agree on the things being edible, but they are no more supposed to be cooked and eaten than we are :tard:

But...otherwise, from pulses, meats (although I'd exclude shellfish and fish from the kind of things you can leave out and definitely not reheat. Fish especially contains a large quantity of the amino-acid histidine in its flesh, compared to mammalian flesh, which upon the action of bacteria can be decarboxylated to histamine, causing, when ingested, the type of food poisoning known as scombroid poisoning.) and with that one exception edible fungi, food I've cooked myself and left out for the sort of time you've mentioned then I've never given myself food poisoning. I can't say the same of things cooked by other people. Or stuff sold by restaurants, (nearly died once, after being put in hospital twice in two successive days after eating a motorway truck stop point burrito. Collapsed in the hospital bog, ended up on IV antibiotics, vomiting lurid green liquid slop that burnt my throat like battery acid mixed with silver nitrate. Was lucky that I went back the day after eating it and was found to have collapsed.

Vegetable recipes, blehhggh, that counts as good as in my book. Veg IS poison to me. Well...I can eat cottage pie, as long as I mash it into the meat first, to avoid directly suffering the sensation of eating the potato directly as-is. Ugh!

Leaving meat (not fish, well you might be alright with seafood for just one day, as long as it isn't too hot climate-wise, but it is a MIGHT, a maybe, a ''do you feel lucky, punk?,. well, do you??'' and the rest of the  next day wondering if you've just poisoned yourself) out for a day and a bit isn't likely to do for you. Hell, they hang (uncooked) game don't they, for quite some time?

Now that is something I've never understood, how the practice of leaving dead meat to hang like that for as long as they do, before cooking and eating it can possibly end up with any other outcome than food poisoning or worse. You'd not get me doing that and serving the result to anybody I didn't loathe.

And, given my memory problem, I'm actually a REALLY paranoid old bastard when it comes to food.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:16:56 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.