Author Topic: Supporting local coffee-farmers  (Read 1594 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Supporting local coffee-farmers
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:11:19 PM »

Supposedly, the price I paid for imported Ethiopian coffee beans, of the finest quality, is mostly going to the companies who put the beans in bags, while the families who tend the soil year 'round where it grows, carry water up into the hills, (either on foot, in jars, or by something resembling a stationary bicycle made into a pump) to keep the plants healthy, keep the insects picked off by hand to keep the chemical content and expenses at a minimum, shoo away the marauding flocks of birds during the growing season, watch for maturity and hand pick the beans one at a time, when they are ready, and carry them down out of the hills on foot are getting about two percent of the total price.

That just does not seem right to me. I would not even have known, if one of the main perpetrators, getting rich off of this evil, were not making a big deal out of going global, right now.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 10:04:45 AM »
Since we all agreed it was a good idea to take this discussion elsewhere I guess no harm done, but its usually a good idea to double check first. I doubt any of us mind.

OK. I'll ask you guys before I do it the next time.

where is the fun if there isn't an occasional spontaneous action?

i mean, we won't spank you and send you to bed without your dinner....

We will spank you though   :spank:   Not as punishment for doing things on your own, I just think it would be fun to spank you  ;)   I agree with Mcj that its good to see admins taking the initiative on matters like this.

Litigious

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 10:07:34 AM »
Since we all agreed it was a good idea to take this discussion elsewhere I guess no harm done, but its usually a good idea to double check first. I doubt any of us mind.

We will spank you though   :spank:   Not as punishment for doing things on your own, I just think it would be fun to spank you  ;)   I agree with Mcj that its good to see admins taking the initiative on matters like this.

You can spank me, PI, if it's OK with Duncvis.  ;)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 11:29:28 AM »

You can spank me, PI, if it's OK with Duncvis.  ;)

spankings lead to bed.  and for dinner you have zipperfish.
Misunderstood.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 03:41:01 AM »

Yes, there it is.   "SIR  we have isolated the source of the Hijacking to an apparent sexual reference involving corporal punishment of some kind.  Shall we intervene?  It all seems so interesting."   "Dammit man, the viability of the thread depends on you!  Do your job. Take away that damn paddle."
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 03:43:06 AM »
* QuirkyCarla is jealous of all the spanking going on.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 04:01:43 AM »
* QuirkyCarla is jealous of all the spanking going on.

Well, if it would help you out of your current state of S.L. (self-loathing) then I guess I shall have to step up to the plate until relieved by a more competent and deserving paddle bearer.

DB skillfully rolls up his sleeves and swings the paddle.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:08:56 AM by driftingblizzard »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 04:34:21 AM »

Yes, there it is.   "SIR  we have isolated the source of the Hijacking to an apparent sexual reference involving corporal punishment of some kind.  Shall we intervene?  It all seems so interesting."   "Dammit man, the viability of the thread depends on you!  Do your job. Take away that damn paddle."

Its amazing how often a thread gets hijacked with spanking action just lately-  we really should start behaving ourselves ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:36:59 AM by purposefulinsanity »

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 04:35:32 AM »
A new thread maybe? :eyebrows: :agreed:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 07:11:21 AM »
Why does this thread have my name on it? I did not start it. Can someone fix it, please.

Besides, I'm American. It's not fashionable, right now, to care about how my wealthy corporate countrymen, fully enable by an administrational blind-eye, are exploiting the poverty stricken farmers of weak third world countries and their starving child labor force. It may come back into fashion after the next election, though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:17:36 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 07:14:30 AM »
It has your name on the thread because when it was split from the other thread yours was the first post the admin selected to move-I think the only way to change that is if perhaps if they split the first post away from this topic and then delete it (if that's what you want).

Edited to add: actually it would have to be the first two posts since both those are yours.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:17:36 AM by purposefulinsanity »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »
I was making a sarcastic attempt to get it back on track, but I don't do sarcasm well, as I've demonstrated quite often. Sorry for the confusion, again.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 07:22:13 AM »

I was making a sarcastic attempt to get it back on track, but I don't do sarcasm well, as I've demonstrated quite often.

Sorry- I thought part of your post was humorous but I guess I didn't realise how much  :-[

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
out of curiosity,what thread was this split from?

oh and + 1 PI for stepping up to the plate  ;D

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was the What are you drinking now thread, which would make sense given the subject matter but I couldn't swear to it.

Edited to add: I wish I had something a little more interesting to contribute to this thread because its an interesting subject matter but I only really drink instant coffee as I can't usually tolerate more than 1/2 cup of real coffee at a time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 01:52:57 PM by purposefulinsanity »