Author Topic: What's the best way to help exploited peoples...  (Read 1378 times)

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
Re: What's the best way to help exploited peoples...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »

I just discovered this link and its kind of a neat idea.  I cannot vouche for the integrity of the process, but wouldn't you like to give someone a sheep in your honey's name for valentines day?  Or you could invest 50.00 in a famer friendly coffee coop and send the card to your boss....   The mind starts rolling with ideas.  I think I might send the outhouse, now who to credit for that one?...Hmmmm

https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=oxfam&BusType=BtoC&Count1=363964259&Count2=281104683&CategoryID=7&Target=products.asp
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Scrapheap

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »

I just discovered this link and its kind of a neat idea.  I cannot vouche for the integrity of the process, but wouldn't you like to give someone a sheep in your honey's name for valentines day?  Or you could invest 50.00 in a famer friendly coffee coop and send the card to your boss....   The mind starts rolling with ideas.  I think I might send the outhouse, now who to credit for that one?...Hmmmm

https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=oxfam&BusType=BtoC&Count1=363964259&Count2=281104683&CategoryID=7&Target=products.asp

Call me cynical if you must, but I smell a scam here.  I'd like to believe that the money realy does help those who need it, but people have scammed for decades under the guise of charities like this.  :-\

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 10:11:30 PM »
who are more exploited than children?

i cannot believe that the makers of cookies get practically free labor by making girlscouts sell their wares door to door.

or all these other fundraisers for schools or athletics..

kids peddling these overpriced products and only seeing pennies on the dollar for some unecessary function.

kids are exploited and i suggest that no-one ever buy anything from a kid, who is selling anything door to door.
Misunderstood.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 10:36:26 PM »
I hate school fund raisers, and office sales by parents for their kids.  I never buy stuff, and people think I'm anti-social for it....  But I think those programs are underfunded (fields trips, etc) and kids are made to do the work for what should be an enjoyable experience.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »
I hate school fund raisers, and office sales by parents for their kids.  I never buy stuff, and people think I'm anti-social for it....  But I think those programs are underfunded (fields trips, etc) and kids are made to do the work for what should be an enjoyable experience.
it is exploitation.
pure and simple.
Misunderstood.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
it is exploitation.
pure and simple.

Yes, I agree, all the way around.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »
I think that it should be a violation of child labor laws, making those little kids trudge door to door, trying to sell Girl Scout cookies or whatever.

It is a scam.  Since they kicked my daughter out of Girl Scouts, it is not my problem anymore, but they encourage the little girls to take several cases of those Girl Scout cookies and whatever they can't sell, they expect their parents to buy from them.  They are planning to take the girls horseback riding, which will be pretty expensive.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »
i wonder if there are any articles which gives a breakdown of corporate profits vs how much the girls actually make per box. 
also i would be interested in knowing a breakdown as to how much per hour the girls actually make for peddling these cookies or other forms of junkfood.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 05:56:27 AM »
The price of Girl Scout Cookies is set by each regional council, to be followed by all local troops, and therefore varies by region.

The profit from sales is divided amongst three levels within the Girl Scouts organization: the national Girl Scouts of the USA, the regional council, and the local troop of girls. Depending on the price of the box of cookies, the local troop typically receives between 45¢ and $1. 

Taken from: http://www.answers.com/topic/girl-scout-cookies

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
Misunderstood.