Educational

Author Topic: A vote for the arguments in the forum  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: A vote for the arguments in the forum
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 09:25:31 PM »
:hadron:
:gopher:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »
I am thinking about how people would react if I mention out of the blue that I was a lot term member of an online forum whose mission statement stated it was for freedom of expression and it demanded people be prepared to back themselves and that it was adults only and only for people who had the bottle for combative environments  AND one of the big topics at the moment was the merit of having arguments...
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 11:52:34 PM »
So?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 01:22:07 AM »
Was getting a massage in one of the massage chairs during my tea break and reading this thread (probably be ause of the proximity to everyday people I knew well enough to ask and what I was reading) . it struck me how on the face of it, a forum describe as I did above, talking up the merits of avoiding arguments (for whatever reason) would generally be all for arguments. it would want more not less
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 06:47:18 AM »
When do we start banning "hate speech"??   :zoinks:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »
Having an argument is a little like having sex. You have to have two willing participants...if one views it as:

A: a non-productive waste of their time
or...
B: not something they "want" to do

...you will end up wacking off in the corner...regardless of what you "think" should happen. 

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:17 AM »
Having an argument is a little like having sex. You have to have two willing participants...if one views it as:

or...

...you will end up wacking off in the corner...regardless of what you "think" should happen.

Some people seem to think that "free speech" means we have to listen to their shit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:06 AM »

Is it against the TOS?

Personally, I hold different standards here than I do for local IRL laws.

Though I'll still do my damnedest to rip the shit out of anyone that goes after people I care about.

You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »
Was getting a massage in one of the massage chairs during my tea break and reading this thread (probably be ause of the proximity to everyday people I knew well enough to ask and what I was reading) . it struck me how on the face of it, a forum describe as I did above, talking up the merits of avoiding arguments (for whatever reason) would generally be all for arguments. it would want more not less

I've been here for 7 years despite being a person who avoids arguments like the plague.
   A place can provide an environment that encourages debating without every member necessaily wanting
   to take advantage of it.  I take advantage of the smilies and the permission to use foul language, myself.  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »

Is it against the TOS?

Though I'll still do my damnedest to rip the shit out of anyone that goes after people I care about.

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Any material that, in our judgment, is obscene, threatening, illegal, or violates our Terms of Service or this AUP in any manner may be removed from our servers (or otherwise disabled), with or without notice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »

This. +

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 03:14:02 PM »

I've been here for 7 years despite being a person who avoids arguments like the plague.
   A place can provide an environment that encourages debating without every member necessaily wanting
   to take advantage of it.  I take advantage of the smilies and the permission to use foul language, myself.  :orly:

You are arguingwith me now. Proud of you.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »

or...

Enough fantasising about me, IceQueen. its kinda gross

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »

Is it against the TOS?

Entirely fair

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »

or...

Enough fantasising about me, IceQueen. its kinda gross

Dream on Al...I like my victims a tad more challenging and a lot less full of themselves.