Author Topic: The Tragedy in Las Vegas  (Read 11089 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: The Tragedy in Las Vegas
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2017, 05:37:17 AM »
No way that wouldn't end up accidentally killing some prisoners, though.

And, they do give some prisoners headmeds.
Do know some prisoners get meds; mentioned that previously. Not sure why it would kill them. It's standard practice to medically treat people who are a danger to themselves; see no reason why it should be different for those who are a danger to others.
Give literally everyone in every large-enough group the same medication, and at least one of those people will have an adverse reaction to that medication.
The potential for adverse reaction is true for a lot of people conditions and medications. The adverse result of their violence seems clear enough. It wasn't a suggestion for a one stop answer for all dished out by a layman. It would be better to argue that criminal violence on its own doesn't qualify as a mental disorder and psychotropic drugs don't sit well with people who don't actually need them, than to suggest violent people shouldn't be routinely prescribed medications because someone might have an adverse reaction.
...Jack, why don't you just sit and argue both sides by yourself, then?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2017, 06:11:07 AM »

Do know some prisoners get meds; mentioned that previously. Not sure why it would kill them. It's standard practice to medically treat people who are a danger to themselves; see no reason why it should be different for those who are a danger to others.
Give literally everyone in every large-enough group the same medication, and at least one of those people will have an adverse reaction to that medication.
The potential for adverse reaction is true for a lot of people conditions and medications. The adverse result of their violence seems clear enough. It wasn't a suggestion for a one stop answer for all dished out by a layman. It would be better to argue that criminal violence on its own doesn't qualify as a mental disorder and psychotropic drugs don't sit well with people who don't actually need them, than to suggest violent people shouldn't be routinely prescribed medications because someone might have an adverse reaction.

Hey PMSElle, why don't you answer the allegations you made about me,  that you were called out on rather than trying for unwarranted condescending snark at Jack? Just a thought.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
I like Jack's open-mindedness and willingness to see both sides. You need that sort of mind to figure out answers, and decent ones.
:dog:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
She has a tendency to *argue* both sides, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
That's the point.
:dog:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
Which always makes me want to say "yes, but what do yo REALLY think?"
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »

Don't even really know how to respond to the suggestion people shouldn't be medicated because someone might have a bad reaction, nor Lestat suggesting neuroscience is too complicated for the medical establishment to move forward with what is known and what works. Maybe you're right and I just shouldn't have responded to it at all, like I didn't to him.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:44:31 PM by Jack »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
I really think there's a lot of things it simply doesn't matter what I think.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
I like Jack's open-mindedness and willingness to see both sides. You need that sort of mind to figure out answers, and decent ones.

Critical thinking is a great skill
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
I don't think the thought of greater good is necessarily a justification for drugging the violence out of prisoners. I'm not even convinced that the forced drugging that already routinely happens is a good idea.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »
I don't think the thought of greater good is necessarily a justification for drugging the violence out of prisoners. I'm not even convinced that the forced drugging that already routinely happens is a good idea.
Not certain it's about the idea of the greater good. People have the right to be protected from violent criminals, and not just short term. Half of the people in state prisons are violent offenders, and the five year repeat offender rate for violent criminals is seventy percent with about half of those reoffending within the first year of release. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=4986 If they're really only bad people and not mentally disordered, then they shouldn't be let out. If violence is a mental problem then their addressing their need for treatment could be a stipulation to being a member of society.

A sixth (16.1%) of released prisoners were responsible for almost half (48.4%) of the nearly 1.2 million arrests that occurred in the 5-year follow-up period.
Think this is interesting. One sixth from one year, responsible for half over five years. It brings me back to a previous silly idea about the decline in violent crime since the 90's. Violent crime is declining but the recidivism rates suggest it's largely the same people stuck in a revolving door. Society may not be breeding many more violent criminals and violent crime may be on the decline because a lot of them are just dyeing off. Baby boomers.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2017, 10:48:24 PM »
By people, do you mean the prison guards, during the incarceration? I don't see any viable way to enforce medication after the end of a sentence.

Maybe if I had more faith in medication as a long term and lasting solution to psychological issues, I could see it working, but the mind is more complex than that. Chemical imbalances are interwoven with conscious attitudes and patterns of experience and history. That's not the sort of thing you can make go away with a convenient little pill. Even mandated therapy, like anger management classes, is questionable. Do the people who are forced to attend actually have any lasting changes in behavior, or are they just being warm bodies in a room, learning to give the answers that people are looking for?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2017, 12:52:01 AM »
People means people, everyone. It does happen for criminals with mental illness to be mandated to maintain mental healthcare as a condition of parole or probation; though have only heard of it as condition of lifetime supervised release for certain sex offenders. It's true medication doesn't work for everyone but it does help a lot of people, and sometimes that means maintaining it long term. Locking them up for a few years so they can get out to injure or kill someone again isn't good enough. Placing violent people back into society with the idea their debt has been paid isn't good enough. They owe it to society to stop being violent, and society isn't meeting its own obligation to enforce that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2017, 01:53:01 AM »

True for most of us. Doesn't stop us from arguing, though.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »

True for most of us. Doesn't stop us from arguing, though.
That's correct. Find it stimulating and healthy though. It's common in the learning of debate for people to simply be assigned a topic and a side. This challenges people to search for the validity of views which may be in opposition to their own. As a fundamentally black and white thinker and linear thinker, that personal challenge is probably often more important to fostering my own sense of tolerance than expressing my own personal bias, even though it probably makes my presence here come across as an argumentative cunt. That's more difficult to do in real life with people who don't really know me and therefore don't know what I really think, because there are situations where it is more important others don't get the impression I believe or support something I really don't.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:16:38 PM by Jack »