Educational

Author Topic: The Tragedy in Las Vegas  (Read 11072 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: The Tragedy in Las Vegas
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
I don't understand the gun laws in the US at all. We have reasonable laws in Canada which allow people to own guns but more restrictions on who can carry. We don't have conceal/carry or open/carry here for the general population.

They also vary a bit by state which makes it more interesting.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
I don't understand the gun laws in the US at all. We have reasonable laws in Canada which allow people to own guns but more restrictions on who can carry. We don't have conceal/carry or open/carry here for the general population.

Yeah I've lived in several states. It gets confusing down there. :laugh:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
I will admit my bias against guns except under well regulated situations.  My my great grandfather shot himself and the effects were still to be found with my mother (and probably me).  We have a standing military, state police, local police, security guards, etc.  It's a shame they're not effective.  I do realize that if a gun isn't handy a frying pan, knife, strangulation will do in the heat of a domestic argument.  But I have the impossible wish that killing would stop.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »

Yeah I've lived in several states. It gets confusing down there. :laugh:

In Pa owning a gun is perfectly legal, a permit to carry is easy to obtain...but potentially non-lethal brass knuckles and tasers are illegal.   :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
58 dead, 500 hurt. The rest of the world has connected the dots, when will the US?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/14/nice-bastille-day-france-attack-promenade-des-anglais-vehicle

Didn't this legal vehicle kill 84? Should ban vehicles.

Remind me. Are guns used to transport people and goods? No, wait, that's not it, is it?

No as far as I am aware, guns are properly used in US as a means to resist a tyrannical government, hunting and self defence.

Guns used improperly is perching on a 32nd Level apartment and firibg down on music goers.

Cars usrd properly is to transport people from A to B .

Used improperly is driving it into a crowd of people.

What of what I said is incorrect?

I think you've misread the amendment in question, as QV already pointed out.

But let me talk this thorough with you in simple terms. Guns were designed to kill people. Vehicles were designed to transport people and goods. Now, maybe it's just me (and a few dozen dead in Las Vegas), but it seems to me as if it should be possible to remove the former without ill effects to society.

Sure, how do you suppose you "remove" them. YOu are open to that possibility.

The American culture of hands off my gun and the fact that hundreds of millions there think that it is a right and most of them a necessity and most of them would consider measures to take guns off them as a way of a tyrannical government trying to disarm lawful citizens with the bad so that people cannot defend themselves. SO they will NOT allow that....AT ALL.

So that being the case, what was the possibility you were mentioning?

Sure in OTHER cultures it worked. Sure people who are anti-gun and pro-gun control WILL likely agree BUT they are hardly the people with guns.

So what is your suggestion? Just curious.

First of all, I would challenge that delusion about a well-equipped militia. Your government has nukes, people. No semi-automatic penis extender will help, you will lose. And besides, ffs, it's centuries ago. We've debunked a lot of stuff since then. And besides, you're not even a real democracy. The guy who won lost the popular vote by something the size of Albania.

Second, I'd challenge the sensibility of allowing anything firing hundreds of rounds per minute. I mean, what the fuck, what's the fucking point? It won't help against nukes but it will kill the daughter that is sneaking into the house at night a hell of a lot faster.

Third, there are states that think allowing a legally blind person to own a gun is a good idea. Why are we even talking about this when people die because of your immense stupidity?

I could go on.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 01:22:01 PM »
Guns are also used for recreation and competitive sport, and some are just collected for no apparent reason other than to have them. Cars too.  :zoinks:

Why do you suppose those competitive sports happened in the first place?

Because people like trophies?  :dunno:

Because someone thought it was a good idea to practise aiming at something without actually killing was a good idea.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
I'm not deflecting and I'm not projecting,

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, you know.

Do you? You're deflecting. Is the right to carry a gun so important to you?

You continue your attempt to shift the goalposts and misdirect.

You started this thread by claiming to speak for the rest of the world when you clearly don't.

That was just a pissweak attempt at triangulation and I called you out on it.

Now that this has been established, do you have a point? or a question?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
I will admit my bias against guns except under well regulated situations.  My my great grandfather shot himself and the effects were still to be found with my mother (and probably me).  We have a standing military, state police, local police, security guards, etc.  It's a shame they're not effective.  I do realize that if a gun isn't handy a frying pan, knife, strangulation will do in the heat of a domestic argument.  But I have the impossible wish that killing would stop.

It does make sense, doesn't it? Make it harder to get a gun and people will have to make do with what they have. Can you imagine what happened in Las Vegas carried out with a frying pan?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
Gun sales/stocks will go up ten-fold now, and people will be waiting in line and buying ammo like pez. Always happens after something like this.

Some nutter does something like this here and everybody panics and starts stocking up like they're going to discontinue their favorite flavor of soda pop.

They can ban guns right now and honestly it still would take 20 years to probably see any effect, because every gun owner from here to California is going to be hiding and stockpiling anything they can get their hands on. First few years will probably work as well as prohibition did...and that's if after 8 years a new administration doesn't come in financially backed to the teeth by some gun organization/company and change the rules back again. :P

QFT

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »

You know fuckall about the 2nd amendment.

In order to understand it, you need to read the Federalist Papers, which you haven't and I have.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
First of all, I would challenge that delusion about a well-equipped militia. Your government has nukes, people. No semi-automatic penis extender will help, you will lose. And besides, ffs, it's centuries ago. We've debunked a lot of stuff since then. And besides, you're not even a real democracy. The guy who won lost the popular vote by something the size of Albania.

Again, you know fuckall about the US constitution.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
I'm not deflecting and I'm not projecting,

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, you know.

Do you? You're deflecting. Is the right to carry a gun so important to you?

You continue your attempt to shift the goalposts and misdirect.

You started this thread by claiming to speak for the rest of the world when you clearly don't.

That was just a pissweak attempt at triangulation and I called you out on it.

Now that this has been established, do you have a point? or a question?

Dear idiot, I know you love your guns above anything and everything, but you are deflecting, again. People die because of morons like you. When will you man up, when will you accept that you have a responsibility? Or will you simply continue hiding behind your moronic constitutional excuse? You mistrust the state, yet you hide behind an excuse close to 250 years old.

Fucking weak.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »

You know fuckall about the 2nd amendment.

In order to understand it, you need to read the Federalist Papers, which you haven't and I have.

I don't think I misunderstood. I think you're hiding behind it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »

Again, you know fuckall about the US constitution.

Quote it. Tell me where I'm wrong.

- Albert Einstein