Educational

Author Topic: Educate QV  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Educate QV
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
I figured this would fit well in introductions since it's not a game or a crime post.  I'm going to post things I have a question about.  As I tell sales clerks,  "You get to tell a customer where to go.  Where is the...."

Okay, in order to improve my understanding skills, what is "intellectual dishonesty?"  It was mentioned in another thread and it is on my mind. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: Educate QV
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »
According to Odeon, it's whatever Al says.

According to Al, it's whatever Odeon says.

:celebrate:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
It's another way of calling someone a liar and also implying that they're self serving and illogical. So if you're intellectually dishonest, you're basically changing the rules/approach in a way that benefits you directly and not being fair across the board and you know better.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
I figured this would fit well in introductions since it's not a game or a crime post.  I'm going to post things I have a question about.  As I tell sales clerks,  "You get to tell a customer where to go.  Where is the...."

Okay, in order to improve my understanding skills, what is "intellectual dishonesty?"  It was mentioned in another thread and it is on my mind.
It's not a clearly defined concept, but believe it's misunderstood as dishonest in anything cognitive rather than emotional. The word intellectual doesn't broadly mean cognition, but rather refers to people who are intellectuals and their fields of work and study. Intellectual dishonesty is a lack of ethics in intellectual pursuits.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:19:21 PM by Jack »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:07:56 PM »
Interesting, I've had a different definition of it. (Hm, I wonder how there could be so many misunderstandings regarding it here...  :chin: )

It's when you're being hypocritical in your ethics, for example going on and on about how important it is to avoid groupthink, and then gleefully joining in to gang up on people.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »
Plagiarism is a good example of intellectual dishonesty, so are the biased speeches of politicians. Anything related to the study and teachings of learned professional people who society look to for their knowledge of the truth, can be impacted by intellectual dishonesty.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
Plagiarism is a good example of intellectual dishonesty, so are the biased speeches of politicians. Anything related to the study and teachings of learned professional people who society look to for their knowledge of the truth, can be impacted by intellectual dishonesty.

Like Walkie, I want to plus you. Thanks for teaching me something new.
:dog:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »

I had not seen this prior and so I am sorry for the late reply.
There are many things and approaches that fall under this greater topic of intellectual dishonesty. Politicians absolutely often lean heavily on intellectual dishonesty and so do academics and zealots of different stripes.
The best way I can describe intellectual dishonesty in a way that identifies it most readily and certainly in the way that I most use the term is where people are being "sneaky" in how they purport to support a position or attack a position. But this sneakiness is a particular kind of sneakiness. It does not have to mean that what they are saying is completely dishonest.
For example, If someone made a joke and one you decided that this joke could under certain representations and by deliberately misreading the intent and removing it from context, could smear the teller, doing this would be intellectually dishonest. The joke may be seen as terrible and you in return could be elevated by railing against it. It may even make sense in the particular context you present it in. But what is equally true is that you chose to be intellectually dishonest in your efforts to smear someone. You were not willing to read the situation as you knew it and read it honestly and truthfully.

Another one off the top of my head may be the narrative that "Al hounded Zegh until he left". This is a good example in a lot of ways. Why? Because a case could absolutely be made for it INCLUDING an appeal I had not seen until a few days before he left that asked what he could do to make things stop (ultimately I responded to that but he was too far exacerbated and had a quick flare up with Scrap in the shoutbox and then disappeared). So is it true? Is it a complete and reasonable indictment? Does it mention anything about his early exchanges with me and what was said to me? Not at all. In fact, it could equally be as intellectually dishonest to say "Who knows why Zegh left? He talked some really bad shit about Al and then some time later bailed after he copped a bit of flack" This is intellectually dishonest too. So would blaming Scrap as the straw that broke the camel's back be as a reason for him leaving.

Once you look at this you probably see that it is almost made for people who are either ideological zealots or Narcissistic people who are wishing to use semantics and misrepresentation "cleverly" to win an argument at expense of being genuine (note: my lack of the use of the words truth or lie).

Worse still, if the intellectually dishonest person is reasonably clever enough, they give themselves a "way out" by claiming ignorance of any other possible interpretation. Gamerplayers and narrative spinners. Zealots of every hue and Every politician ever......and yes our Dear Leader Kim Jong Odeon himself are examples of the intellectually dishonest.

In summary. Intellectual dishonesty comes from a place where a person is prepared to deliberately contort and exaggerate and misrepresent an understanding of a situation or reading to infer, suggest or outright state something they would know is not truly representative of the nature of what they are representing.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »
Wow guys.  So many explanations.  Thanks.

I'm encouraged by the responses.  I'll have to be less arrogant and ask more questions.  I'm not as smart as the average queen.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
Wow guys.  So many explanations.  Thanks.

I'm encouraged by the responses.  I'll have to be less arrogant and ask more questions.  I'm not as smart as the average queen.

I really doubt that is the case. I have had more than a few disagreements with you but you are far, far away from uneducated or unintelligent. You are very smart. I do not flatter or bullshit about these things.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »
Intellectual dishonesty? Read Al's last couple of callouts or his walls of text all over the board. The latest example is his massively dishonest treatment of Walkie.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
Intellectual dishonesty? Read Al's last couple of callouts or his walls of text all over the board. The latest example is his massively dishonest treatment of Walkie.

Be a little constructive, Odeon. I am sure QV wants this thread to be free of you trying to bait me. Are you going to apologise to her Majesty for being an assclown? Go on, Odeon. Apologise.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »

Be a little constructive, Odeon. I am sure QV wants this thread to be free of you trying to bait me. Are you going to apologise to her Majesty for being an assclown? Go on, Odeon. Apologise.

Now there's an example of intellectual dishonesty right there.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »

Now there's an example of intellectual dishonesty right there.

No apologies then I take it  :hahaha:

Seriously. I will try to keep my examples non-forum centric. I will try to not let this thread turn into a shit show.