Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Singing
« on: August 25, 2017, 03:56:35 AM »
Odd topic I know.

I used to be a very good singer as a child. I won a lot of local contests and such. Then something pretty expected happened at about 12 and a half. So...

Thing is I always loved hearing male singers singing in tenor or falsetto range. I would often try to sing their songs and in their range and the result was the same as a make trying to imitate a female voice. Get the man next to you to try that and see what I mean.

As an old(er) man I have resigned myself to singing in my natural range. Mid to lower range of Baritone. (someone once said I was Bass-Batritone but I do not think it is quite that deep) I am actually not so bad if others are to be believed. People actually encourage me to sing.

The thing is, as mentioned (and I guess purely as a curiosity) how WOULD one train their vocal range from where they are comfortable singing to a higher range that stretches them?
Freddie Mercury was obviously a God or at the very least a freak of nature that managed to sing like no one else but he was a natural baritone singing his life as a tenor. Similarly, Chris Issak traverses a Baritone to Tenor range in "Baby did a bad bad thing".

So I am curious. Anyone an opinion on this?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Singing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:24:55 AM »
  I've heard of vocal coaches who teach clients to find their true singing range.  I don't know
   how far one can sing outside of that natural range without doing damage to vocal cords.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:55:10 AM »
Singing lessons, or a choir with a good director.

Or expand it yourself, from the natural and relaxed reach you have in your range, by practicing scales. Practice that from the relaxed mode of singing. Slowly your reach may expand.

When I started studying I joined a choir with a very good director. We sang lots of scales. I started as a tenor, after a year I could do mezzo-soprano parties too.

Then I moved, joined another choir, bad director, working from stress rather than relaxed singing. Took singing  lessons, teacher worked  from tension. My range dropped massively. The joy was gone from singing. A friend of mine had a voice good enough for professional singing. She had a teacher that worked from relaxation. Did sing a bit with her. But her health was very poorly, so it never became a regular thing.

Now find myself singing a bit more, and my range is expanding a bit.

So, singing scales and have fun at singing. Working your power from a relaxed core, similar to martial arts, if that makes sense, is what I would advise. Including exercises to relax shoulders and whole body, before singing.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 04:57:48 AM »
  My brother's range is pretty impressive.  He was a boy soprano who grew up to have a
   powerful baritone, and he still can do a good falsetto for fun.  He's a talented guy.  8)

People forget.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:10:13 AM »
  My brother's range is pretty impressive.  He was a boy soprano who grew up to have a
   powerful baritone, and he still can do a good falsetto for fun.  He's a talented guy.  8)

I envy him. I have natural deep baritone but always envied singers that could sing high. I mean seriously there ARE Baritone ranged singers in pop music BUT they are few and far between. Presley, Cocker, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Mark Knofler, Eddy Vedder and ???? Few and far between.

Now Tenor range or those that sing in falsetto and just throw every other male singer in that basket including those that sound like they skipped puberty entirely.

Maybe it is better just concentrating singing what you can sing in your range very well? Just wondering if it could otherwise be done?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:14:11 AM »
  I've heard of opera singers who damaged their voices by trying to sing too far outsude their natural range.  :-\

People forget.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:22:16 AM »
Damn! I just found Rob Thomas is touted as a baritone???

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:37:37 AM »
Damn! I just found Rob Thomas is touted as a baritone???

I would not have thought so.  :orly:

People forget.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:07 AM »
I have been listening to a lot of Fall Out Boy and the singer, Patrick Stump, has a tenor voice I think. I think that because I like to sing along but sometimes his voice is too high for me, I can't hit the notes.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »
I wish i could sing, never mind what range, but i'm crap at it.

Anyways, thought you might like the lead singer with this band. You gotta wait for nearly 2 minutes.  before you see what I mean. Actually, I prefer the studio recording of the song , but it's more surpising  live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMik5c25ZE

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:35:57 PM »

I'm crap at it too, but I don't mind. I just crank up the volume so I can sing badly and no one can hear me.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 02:22:37 AM »
It's about training, training, training... and a fair bit of talent. I had quite a range as a child but puberty and a lack of proper training put a stop to that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 03:19:05 AM »
. I just crank up the volume so I can sing badly and no one can hear me.  :zoinks:

I did a double-take on that! I try to keep the volume low so nobody can hear me :D
AH! you mean you singalong to recordings. Me I usually sing whatever's in my head. Sometimes a proper song, sometimes just a stream-of-consciousnness  dum -de-dum sort of thing. I enjoy doing that, but I shouldn't think anyone enjoys hearing me
I was told, once, long ago that I'm natural soprano , which is probably true cos when i hit the high notes it comes out alarmingly loud.    I mostly sing like June Tabor with laryngitis...but much less tunefully, ofc :(

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 03:24:47 AM »
High notes do need more volume to come out.

Had to do a test at a speech therapist once. She showed how the amount of decibel produced increases when getting higher in range, while trying to make a sound as soft as possible.

No one whispers successfully in a high pitched voice.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 03:50:39 AM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:52:39 AM by Walkie »