Educational

Author Topic: Clothes  (Read 312 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Clothes
« on: August 12, 2017, 01:29:08 AM »
Clothes are something I think about a lot, especially since my weight gain - it's harder to find clothes that fit. I pay a lot of attention to what colours go with what, I don't like to mismatch. The only time I do is when I am wearing pjs, most of them are from second hand shops.

I also pay attention to what other people wear, observing fashions and such. Popular now is ripped jeans, which I don't understand because it is winter here, surely that would make the wearer cold and uncomfortable. Hoodies are in too which I am glad about because I have a lot of those.

So I am curious about what people here wear. what are your favourite items of clothing and do you have a "style". What fashions have you noticed?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:13:36 AM »
Have no fashion sense at all, so if it's clean, fits, and looks like suitable business attire, then it's good. Don't really know if clothes look good on me unless someone says so. Tend to navigate to dark colors, primarily black, or black with white, and have plenty of clothes suitable for funerals. A lot of people in paradise wear pastels; tried that when first moving here but hated all my clothes so gave up on it. Personally would prefer to have a closet full of multiples of the same white dress shirt and black pants, and to wear the same thing every day, but only men can get away with something like that and people would think that's weird.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:22:06 AM by Jack »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:32:15 AM »
There was a time when most of my clothes were black. Those days are over now. Still have black things, but not going all black anymore.

I dislike shopping a lot. So I had the habit of buying stuff that caught my eye, because I liked what I saw. If the fit was comfy too, I'd go for it. Worked fine when I lived in a city. Now I live in a really small village. I have to actively look for clothes. I don't like that. When budget was really tight I bought stuff when needed and did not give myself the luxury to see whether I liked it or not.
Now, working in a thrift shop with lots of clothes I bump into lots of possibly nice stuff. Am finding back what I used to like. Wide pants, wavy shirts. Back to the greens I somehow always have liked. But also have teal with green stuff and orange brown clothes. Finding I don't dislike all oranges, not all turquoises.
Do have some fitted shirts too. Style? Different. Could be jeans with a black blazer, but could also be a somewhat alternative look. I never blend in, but am not a multicoloured parrot either.

I've made a deal with myself, I will not buy things out of necessity if I do not really like it, both in how it looks and in how comfy it is. Rediscovered my sewing machine. So now can disect worn out favourite clothes and make new ones with the same shape.

I don't follow fashion. But am aware of it. Learned a lot, the past five years. We do select on wearable and not wearable in the shop, and that has to do with fashion too. Good thing, waists have gone up in pants and shirts got longer last season.

Comfy is very important for me. Fashion is not. I do want them to be nice in my eyes.

I do match colours with some care. Having daughters did change my attention for clothes a bit. Some years ago they told me I was actually becoming somewhat female in my appearance. 
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:58:52 AM »
Thanks for posting. :)

I like black but we have a mostly white cat whose fur is found everywhere throughout the house. Especially on clothes. I have bought many lint rollers. So sometimes I have the cat in mind when I buy clothes. I have a lot of different coloured shirts.

In summer I don't bare my legs past 3/4 length pants and I have found plenty of those in second hand shops. I have a lot and definitely don't need more but will probably buy more anyway. I'm the same with underwear and socks.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:12:34 AM »
Underwear, went for more expensive knickers, because it feels so much better. And just bought a wireless bra that still gives lots of support. Very happy with it. It even looks somewhat fancy. First wireless in decades
 Should have done that way earlier.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »
And cat hair is a nuisance. No matter what colour their hair.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
Personally would prefer to have a closet full of multiples of the same white dress shirt and black pants, and to wear the same thing every day, but only men can get away with something like that and people would think that's weird.
If there were different white in white patterns in the shirts you'd probably get away with it.  Similar for pants. Or even white shirts with one buttonhole stitched in a different bold colour or one not white button (they were a thing a while ago). People tend to notice those subtle differences.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:09:06 AM by 'andersom' »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
I like cargo pants with lots of pockets, warm tones and earth tones. I really don't like blue jeans and haven't owned a pair since I was in high school and trying to fit in. Now I alternate between tan, brown, greenish and black for pants, and I have a stock of tank tops in autumn colours (shades of orange, dark green, white, black, deep purple) which I wear every day. On top of that I have a collection of vaguely feminine tops and sweaters that are suitable in an informal office.

That's about it. For underwear I go with cheap and comfy but always the shape they call "bikini". No bras with wires, because I'm pretty small and don't need them, and also find the wires really uncomfortable.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »
T shirts, knit pants or shorts
Trainers (sneakers)
Cotton panties
Front fastening bras

Whatever is at the thrift stores, Walmart or Kmart.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
@ Py, pockets are a must. Preferably deep pockets.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
I never wear dark blue and red combined. Most of my early clothes were in that combination, sometimes with a bit of white in it too. Other favourite of my mum was orange, combined with earth tones. Did always like the earth tones.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
I wear shit that I probably shouldn't.

I shop by feel, if it's not soft, I don't buy it.

Cami's...soft sports bras (when I actually put one on).

Ripped jeans, patched jeans, faded jeans, cut off shorts.

Cut up t-shirts, faded t-shirts...flip flops, crocs...soft underwear, fuzzy crazy colored socks.

If it's tie dyed or has fringe I'm bringing it home.

I've dressed like an acid tripping hippie since I was allowed to buy my own clothes as a kid...now it's coming back in fashion.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
My wardrobe is pretty much hippie. Tank tops and jeans are my favourite. My jeans usually have a wide leg to them. I tend to wear tank tops year round but I layer it with a long sleeved button up shirt left open in the winter. I also love cargo pants and have two favourites (one in a blue/grey and the other in army green). I also like the ankle length light peasant skirts. I wear those with tanks in the summer. As for colours, it varies. Most of my wardrobe is make up of black, purple and blue. My big thing is jewelry. I love love love layered beaded necklaces and chokers. 90% of the time my earrings are silver hoops, sizes vary. I love bangles and cuff bracelets and beaded anklets.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »
  My daily "uniform" is a T-shirt, tucked into pants, with a shirt or sweater over that.
   I need the T-shirt underneath to feel properly covered, and the top shirt to cover my butt.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
Black everything. I enjoy the monchrome aesthetic, and I find that making my body look like a shadow in my peripheral vision instead of a mass of distracting colours helps me to fall over and bump into things a lot less often. Preferably figure hugging, with something baggy over the top. Pressure on my skin makes me feel like I exist. Lowish necklines preferable, either tank tops or women's T-shirts. I have narrow shoulders, and normal T-shirts just feel like they're hanging off my neck, which I hate.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:44:21 PM by Grey Area »
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: