Educational

Author Topic: Melting glaciers in Swiss Alps reveals dead bodies  (Read 575 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Melting glaciers in Swiss Alps reveals dead bodies
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 11:51:48 PM »
Death notices on the radio?  :zombiefuck:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »

In some small towns they even tell folks when you've been to the outhouse.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »

In some small towns they even tell folks when you've been to the outhouse.

I like announcing when I'm going to the outhouse.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 07:35:35 PM »
The small white figures in the middle and the left are our cemetaries.

It makes me mad the cemeteries are so dangerous. They're beautiful.  >:( Sugarbutt says he wants a mausoleum. I just say, sure babe, whatever you want. :lol1:

Why do you feel cemeteries are dangerous?  I agree, our above ground burials are beautiful.  I feel at peace when I'm there.

You wander the cemeteries of New Orleans?  :orly:

I don't wander, I just promanade aimlessly, looking for interesting information on the tombs.

Okay, I guess either things have changed or you're amazingly brave, My Majesty.  :viking: It's been a long time since I lived there, but they were hotbeds for violent crime. Only tour guided entries were considered safe, and those weren't very safe either.  >:(

Greenwood, St. Patrick, Metairie Cemetery are safe.  Theoldest cemeteries were a bit dangerous for a while, but the danger has moved on to other areas.

I'd like to have a mausoleum too, but I don't think dead people should have the right to take up so much space, so I tell sugarbutt we should get one as a swanky garden shed.  :zoinks:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »
There's a verse from the folk tune,  "How do I know my youth is all spent, my get up go has got up and went". 

"Hopeful each morning I dust off my wits,
open the paper and read the Obits.
And if I'm not there, I know I'm not dead.
So I eat a good breakfast and roll back to bed."    --Pete Seeger

"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »
Haven't had the opportunity lately, but I like graveyards too. Wouldn't mind a mausoleum of my own either. Have my corpse mummified or better yet, plasticised.

QV, what with your being in NO...why do I have a mental image of you calling up Baron Samedi, making spirituous libations, offering chewing tobacco and possibly doing unspeakable things with/to a black cockerel....?
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »
I've not heard of Baron Samedi.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 03:22:48 PM »
I have always loved old cemeteries!  When I visited my female bio progenitor's grave for the last time..I spent some time looking at the older tombstones, as well as the view from the hilltop on which it was situated.  There is also a cemetery in nearby Dover NH, that has a number of old mausoleums with vestibules/porch's with furniture in them...very cool.  And it has a breath taking view!   Another couple of cemeteries also have crypts that spoke to my imagination in the town of Somersworth.  Cemeteries appeal to me, for their quiet and ability to walk around without being disturbed by others.  And yes, I have visited cemeteries after dark.....helped me conquer my old fear of darkness....and sets me in the mind set of reading some Lovecraft stories!   ;)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
I was referring to the strong traditions of vodun amongst some new-orleans populations, as in the Haitian variety, Baron Samedi ('baron saturday' is the english translation of the name) is one of the Ghede Loa, associated with death, the afterlife, serving as a psychopomp (one who ferries souls to the underworld, as with for example,  Charon, the greek ferryman who, for those with the money to pay him [ dead man's pennies, a pair of coins placed over the eyes of those who died in ancient greece, as a means to pay the ferryman, who, despite the slight similarity of the names, is not to be confused with the centaur, chairon] of greek legend, would ferry the souls of the dead across the river Styx into hades, where souls would then be consigned to one of a few places within Hades' realm (Hades is the name both of the god of the underworld, who's consort is the queen of the underworld, Persephone, associated also with Demeter, spending, as a result of consuming some of the food in the underworld, 6 pomegranate seeds, according to legend, 6 months in hades (lower case 'h', for the place, Hades being the deity) and the other half the year out of the underworld, in a fertility cycle of symbolic death and rebirth, of all life.

In the case of Baron Samedi, he is generally not depicted as evil, but neither as wholly safe and 'good'. Capricious, but generally a beneficial force rather than one for evil. Usually depicted as a man in black clothing and a top hat, along with glasses lacking lenses, with a love of smoking cigars, of rum, and known for telling obscene jokes to his fellow loa and those he encounters or possesses. The patron Loa of graveyards, the dead, ressurection, obscenities, debauchery, and helping those cursed to counter the magic thought employed by the bokor that did it; and additionally, to prevent those interred from rising again as the zombi of haitian mythology.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »
And lol, for some reason I got a very lovecraftian feeling if that makes sense reading this post. Maybe I should change my name by deed poll, (although not officially, I've gone by Lestat since the nickname was given when pretty young, in my teens) to 'herbert west' (as in, of 'reanimator' fame [or possibly, infamy:P]

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
Ah yes, the entertainment industry and literary (murder mystery) views of New Orleans.  We do not:

a) call everyone "cher"
b) have a pirogue as an alternate form of transportation
c) practice voodo to ANY great degree (probably less than 100 people do)
d) flash our tits for beads at Mardi Gras, however tourists do
e) keep alligators as pets
f) have mountains anywhere near us (some movie/tv scenes have the hero riding off and there are mountains in the background)
etc.

If I didn't know New York city (which I don't) I'd think it was made up of big shot rich people and dope heads, with no middle class inhabitants. 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 08:48:15 PM »
There is a louisiana voudun tradition, though, thats different in some ways from the haitian variety. Is it dying out?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »
There is a louisiana voudun tradition, though, thats different in some ways from the haitian variety. Is it dying out?

I'm not an expert on Voodoo, but it is pushed in the French Quarter by one or two shops and there is at least one tour of the appropriate sights offerred.  Not sure if it's related to voodoo, but there has been a revival at Mardi Gras of black men dressing in black with white bones painted on their clothes and masks.  I think they're a revival of earlier attempts to remind people of the coming of Lent.  They usually march in black neighborhoods.  This may have come from voodoo, but I'm not sure. The Baptist and AME (American Methodist Episcopalian) faiths and the independent churches are the most prevelent in N.O.

One of my Auditors-in-Charge (boss) was black and he was a Seventh Day Adventist.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
There's a verse from the folk tune,  "How do I know my youth is all spent, my get up go has got up and went". 

Aerosmith said, some sweet hog mama with a face like a gent, said my get up and go must've got up and went.  :headbang2:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 03:23:01 AM »
Darn. We'll have to move the bodies.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein