Educational

Author Topic: The Great Lightbulb Challenge  (Read 300 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: The Great Lightbulb Challenge
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »
You should sue.

I think this is what I should do.

Be sure you get a tough lawyer!  :MLA:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
:dog:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »

Most of my indoor bulbs are now LED type. None of them make noise.

My biggest bitch is that they do not last for one hundred thousand hours, as advertised.
 :tard:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
I've never heard of it with LED lights. But agreed on those energy-saver things, those are fucking heinous great steaming heaps of disembodied bog's dollocks. and give out a visually/sensorially vile emission spectrum, I hate the energy savers worse than fluorescent tubes or even the ultra-bright white glare of mercury vapor or xenon lamps.

Do others find it somehow kind of sickly and nauseating for some reason? I know I do. Its repulsive and makes my brain queasy and green around the gills after too long being around enough of the damnable things. LEDs aren't, somehow, so nasty. Even bright white ones, like the ones used in high intensity LED flashlights don't have that gutwrenching, subtle but downright unpleasant effect to them for me. What about the rest of you? figure it might well be a standard-issue aspie/autie pet hate. Personally I use incandescent bulbs wherever possible, and my room has a dimmer switch on it that can take the output down really low to a dim glow. But its definitely not just in the intensity of the light output where the nastiness lies for whatever reason. There is something about the kind of light it puts out that is just somehow unwholesome.

The best bulbs IMO, personally, though are high-pressure sodium vapor lamps, I'd like one of those for my room. Unfortunately, the buggerin' well council round here has taken to removing HPS lamps from street and replacing them with panels bearing dirty great bright white batteries of fluorescent white-like LEDs. They really take a huge sloppy wet stinking shite all over the enjoyability of a night-time walk. The sodium lamps are much nicer to be around, and seem to be quite the opposite, I quite like the light they give out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 01:16:02 AM »
I have had a couple that made that same high pitched noise fluorescent bulbs make but it was very faint. I have also had ones that developed a flicker.  Odd thing is they were the expensive ones I got a few years ago and I have not had those issues with the dollar store ones which at times you can get in a three pack for just a buck.   One problem I have had with all of them though is RF interference mostly on AM but also on FM with some of them. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw