Author Topic: Secret internet connection  (Read 139 times)

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
Secret internet connection
« on: May 18, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
Is it possible for a computer to form an internet connection secretly without its owner knowing? And could it bypass any local WIFI secure connections?

i.e. You have the computer turned on, and it isn't connected to WIFI (or anything else) though it still shows a list of local connections. Surely Apple or whoever could easily download data in the background without peoples' knowledge. They must do, because why wouldn't they?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:59:19 AM by Fun with matches »
:dog:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Secret internet connection
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »
Is it possible for a computer to form an internet connection secretly without its owner knowing? And could it bypass any local WIFI secure connections?

i.e. You have the computer turned on, and it isn't connected to WIFI (or anything else) though it still shows a list of local connections. Surely Apple or whoever could easily download data in the background without peoples' knowledge. They must do, because why wouldn't they?

Do you have any proof your computer is cheating on you?  What would be the signs?  Lipstick on the mouse?  Sexy perfume wafting from the CPU?  Intimate clothing showing on the computer screen?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »
Yes, but it's not that easy to hide, at least if you know what to look for. It would have to connect to something, WiFi, Bluetooth, something, and therefore it would have to hide that connection, but sure, it's possible.

There are a number of ways to block this, of course.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
What would one need to look for? And is it more or less possible with an iPad? Or the different versions of Windows? I'm genuinely curious, thanks.
:dog:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 01:51:25 AM »
What would one need to look for? And is it more or less possible with an iPad? Or the different versions of Windows? I'm genuinely curious, thanks.

In Windows, any recent version, it's enough to use the Task Manager to look for unexpected network activity. If you are genuinely worried, install a firewall and use it to block any unwanted traffic in any direction.

iPad, not sure. I'm sure there are firewall apps and various networking apps for all kinds of purposes, but my iPad experience is limited.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein