Educational

Author Topic: WTF? It's here now?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
WTF? It's here now?
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:21:18 AM »
Some nutcase hijacked a lorry and killed four people by ramming a crowd in Stockholm yesterday. Are lorries the way to go now?

And no, I don't believe that immigration is the problem.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: WTF? It's here now?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:22:41 AM »
Some nutcase hijacked a lorry and killed four people by ramming a crowd in Stockholm yesterday. Are lorries the way to go now?

Sure. I don't think it is a problem either. Immigration probably helps it.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 04:20:21 AM »
It will be everywhere. Lone wolfs with the capacity to drive can do this everywhere where there is a road and possible victims.

:(
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 04:59:54 AM »
It will be everywhere. Lone wolfs with the capacity to drive can do this everywhere where there is a road and possible victims.

Less common than being squashed by fall furniture though
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 05:57:54 AM »
I'm a bit surprised this isn't more common. I get a bit paranoid of crossing in front of motorists, because I had already gotten run over once several years ago.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 07:01:35 AM »

Guns nor furniture will be able to stop an assasin in a car before it is clear that it is an attack. Most of the times that becomes clear when people get hit by that car or truck.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »

Guns nor furniture will be able to stop an assasin in a car before it is clear that it is an attack. Most of the times that becomes clear when people get hit by that car or truck.

Very true

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
I'm a bit surprised this isn't more common. I get a bit paranoid of crossing in front of motorists, because I had already gotten run over once several years ago.

I am too,  why bother with going though all the trouble of getting guns or bombs when all you need is a car or truck,  they are everywhere and easy to get. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:57:48 AM »
[/quote]

Denial is a difficult thing to overcome at your age. 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »

Get your facts right. It's "people crushed by furniture", and the statistics are usually quoted as the furniture being either more likely or as likely cause of death than an act of terrorism, in the United States. The rest of the world is not mentioned.

But you know, on the day when 130 people were killed by terrorists in Paris, three times as many died from cancer. Google it. It kind of sets things in perspective, to me at lest.

Does this mean that we shouldn't do anything about terrorism? Of course not. Does it mean that we should stop immigration? No, it does not, because doing so is bigoted, narrow-minded and wrong. There is not a shred of evidence suggesting it would help stop anything. Trump should know this by now, considering he's been thrown out of court more than once. It's about time his supporters learnt it too.

Denial is a difficult thing to overcome at your age. 

Thanks for illustrating my point.

This is what I'm talking about, Al. Benji, as usual, is so clueless it hurts but with so many opinions, many of them fed to him by Trump and his kind, the kind of useful idiot Trump, Farage, Le Pen and all the rest of them depend on.

Yes, people really are that stupid.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
I bought a translation of the Koran last week.  The translation is interesting because it was done in 1743.  No, the book isn't that old, it's a reissue.  The translation is done in paragraphs, not columns like the Bible.  Also, it's extensively footnoted/explained with about 60 - 75% of each page being footnotes.

The Koran is quite confusing.  I'll be reading some humane, fair treatment passages, then.......  Up pops a few paragraphs of death to infidels, who is an infidel, what to do with lapsed Muslims.  I'm beginning to wonder how anyone who is Muslim can keep their thoughts straight.  Maybe they can't.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
But you know, on the day when 130 people were killed by terrorists in Paris, three times as many died from cancer. Google it. It kind of sets things in perspective, to me at lest.

Paris must have a lot of cancer. :aff:
:gopher:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 11:30:23 PM »

Get your facts right. It's "people crushed by furniture", and the statistics are usually quoted as the furniture being either more likely or as likely cause of death than an act of terrorism, in the United States. The rest of the world is not mentioned.

Does this mean that we shouldn't do anything about terrorism? Of course not. Does it mean that we should stop immigration? No, it does not, because doing so is bigoted, narrow-minded and wrong. There is not a shred of evidence suggesting it would help stop anything. Trump should know this by now, considering he's been thrown out of court more than once. It's about time his supporters learnt it too.

Thanks for the suggestion. (It was only ever a suggestion right?) I have considered it and decided you can blow it out your arse. I hope this clears things up. Here is what I will do instead. Because you chose so very stupidly in a battle of ideas to interject statistics of falling furniture death to try to counter the horror of the actual incidents of ideologically based radical Muslim Extremism, I will interject this in every incident that comes to the board, mentioning ANY incident of said terrorism.

If YOU don't like it you can suck it up and understand that YOUR defence of ALL Muslims (that NEVER were under attack in this forum and this was highlighted over and over) and marginalising the threat of said terrorism is precisely what lead you to make such a defence. It was you not listening to the argument but seeing the word "Muslim" and losing your reasoning.

The "falling furniture" death vs deaths from radical Muslim extremism does not work well in the argument you placed it in, nor in any that I have and will insert it into, and it ages terribly as the body count rises, and the attacks increase. The world becomes less and less safe and this "statistical anomaly" or "low statistical risk" becomes an increasingly fearful reality. Throughout which your narrative of low risk comparable to falling furniture will appear again and again.

How's THAT for getting my facts straight, Odeon?  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:19:24 AM by Al Swearengen »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 03:01:29 AM »
Your post, while wordy, is little more than fear-mongering and twisted reality, and you continue to play into the hands of IS and the like.

You, as always, see what you want to see, not what is there.

- Albert Einstein