Educational

Author Topic: One Author Argues 'Sociopathic' Baby Boomers Have Hurt America  (Read 595 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Bruce Cannon Gibney writes that for decades the United States has been run by people who are deceitful, selfish, imprudent, remorseless and hostile — the baby boomers, a generation that Gibney defines as being born between 1940 and 1964.

In his new book, "A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America," Gibney says people born in the baby-boom generation have sociopathic tendencies, and have undermined the prosperous, progressive America they were raised in. Here & Now’s Jeremy Hobson talks with Gibney about the book.

Scroll down to read an excerpt from "A Generation of Sociopaths"

Interview Highlights

On why Gibney calls the baby-boom generation sociopathic

"The reason why I called them sociopaths is because as a generation — as individuals they are like every group, a mixed bag. But as a generation, they display the classic clinical indicators of antisocial personality disorder, which used to be known in a less PC way as sociopathy. So for example improvidence is a key sociopathic indicator. And we can see that in the national data based on cohort savings levels and national savings levels, which have been in significant decline since the 1970s when the boomers first entered the workforce. We can also see it in the national debt, which on a gross basis was just under 35 percent of GDP when I was born and is now at 105 percent of GDP and projected to exceed its World War II levels. That's about improvident as you you can get."

"It is the boomers as political actors who presided over the policies that allowed the national debt to become so large. So in the 1970s, there was actually a great deal of hand-wringing over this sort of catastrophic level of debt, 35 percent of GDP. And 40 years on, the problem is substantially worse and there's no discussion of the debt whatsoever. In fact there were no discussions of any long term problems, problems that were of greatest moment to the young, during the course of the election of 2016. And the two candidates, both of whom were boomers, agreed on absolutely nothing, not even where to stand on the stage, save for one thing and that was an unshakable commitment to senior entitlements."

On why he thinks the baby boomers are uninterested in preparing for future generations

"One of the key indicators for sociopathy is a lack of empathy. So you just don't care for people other than yourselves. So in the case of Social Security, the Social Security Administration projects the trust fund will be depleted in 2034, but by 2034 the median boomer will be dead. And the same sort of dynamic applies to the national debt, which will reach crisis levels in next 20 years. And the same logic applies to — or lack thereof — applies to climate, which is a problem whose most significant impacts are expected from the late 2030s on, but any cost of remediation must be borne today and would therefore imperil the entitlements budget. So, they're deeply focused on maximizing consumption now without regard to problems that are going to be postmortem."

On factors that may have influenced baby boomers' behavior

"They were the first generation to be raised permissively. Dr. Spock's book came out in 1946. So did the first mass-produced television from RCA, and the boomers are extremely high consumers of TV. There were some other odd aspects of their upbringing, including exposure to relatively high levels of environmental lead. It was the only generation where bottle feeding was a majoritarian practice. But I think one of the other critical factors was that, especially for the first two-thirds of the baby boomers, they were raised in a time of what seemed like effortless prosperity where the economy growth, you know, something like 3 percent. They would watch new stars be embroidered on the flag as Alaska and Hawaii were added to the union. Neil Armstrong bounded on the moon. The United States more or less leaped from one great success to another, and that conditioned them to believe that success would be effortless. And I think that's had some significant impacts on the conduct of policy and personal lives."

On the relationships among the boomers

"Prior generations did not divorce frequently, in substantial part because no fault divorce wasn't around until '69. But the odd thing is that the boomers actually have higher rates of divorce than even their children at comparable points in the marriage. So their rates of divorce are lower. And that's relevant not because divorce is a moral good or bad, per se, in any given situation, but because one of the key sociopathic indicators is an inability to form a lasting relationship, and I think divorce certainly falls into that category."

"By failing to invest in the foundations of prosperity, which the boomers' parents did do in a very significant way, the boomers have consigned their children and their grandchildren to impoverished futures." Bruce Cannon Gibney

On the '60s and 'victories' for the boomers

"As for the 1960s, I think it's time that we dispense with this meretricious rebranding that's gone on — that it was a time of sort of unalloyed moral victories on the part of the boomers. Curiously, it was actually people under 30, that's to say the boomers in the 1960s, who were most pro-war, and that was in part because many boomers had no real expectation that they would serve thanks to the system of deferments and the deferments and exemptions were of course the fault of prior generations. But the system of deferments shifted the burden toward the disadvantaged. I've also gotten some pushback about, 'Well, didn't we rally for civil rights and the environment and any number of other things?' But the chronology for that sort of myth of boomer goodness simply doesn't work. You know, Brown v. Board of Education was not decided by 14-year-olds, and that would have been the oldest boomer at the time. It was decided by nine old white men on the Supreme Court. The Clean Air Act that was passed in 1963. Again, that's not a boomer victory."

"Certainly there are a large number of good boomers. My argument is mainly one about deceleration. So there has been nothing equivalent to the Voting Rights Act and Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965 under boomer tenure. The pace of gains has slowed. There has been stagnation in the convergence between female and male earnings, and the economy itself has slowed. And the slowing of the economy combined with fiscal imbalances perpetrates, in many ways, a much larger, if harder to see, injustice and that's intergenerational injustice. So by failing to invest in the foundations of prosperity, which the boomers' parents did do in a very significant way, the boomers have consigned their children and their grandchildren to impoverished futures, and also to cleaning up some of their messes, from the environment to infrastructure to rebuilding the research and development and educational systems of the country."

On why boomers have managed to stay in power

"That's straightforward. There are just a lot of them and the boomers are, from the perspective of policy, all roughly the same age, and they all care about basically the same thing, and that's maintaining the flow of government-intermediated benefits for as long as possible. But because Social Security and Medicare consumes a large fraction of the budget and will consume most of the discretionary budget over the next 20 years, if the boomers can win on this single issue they went on every other issue. So, if there is no room in the budget left over after paying out these entitlements for research and development or for funding free public higher education, something that hasn't existed since the boomers themselves were in in college, or for remediating the climate, then the nation loses on all these issues and the boomers win on the single issue that they're most concerned about which is entitlements."

On his hope for Generation X and millennials

"I do have hope. Young people do seem to embrace an empathetic agenda, up to and including supporting senior entitlements, I think in part because they've been misled about it. They're certainly much more progressive about climate change and civil rights than the boomers are. So I am hopeful, but it will be some time before they're in control. The boomers still hold 69 percent of the House. They're obviously in the White House for some time. Whether that's four more weeks or eight more years remains to be seen. And they control substantial chunks of the judiciary and the administrative state. So we are going to be living in a boomer America for some time, in part because the policies themselves will carry forward for some time."
The logic sounds mostly like garbage to me tbh but I'm still kind of cackling in glee to see this pointed at a generation other than millennials for fucking once.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: One Author Argues 'Sociopathic' Baby Boomers Have Hurt America
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:53 AM »
  I must object to the implication that getting divorced implies a sociopath-level inability to form
  a lasting relationship.  Maybe it actually implies prioritizing one's own happiness over the opinions
  of the neighbors or the teachings of religion, which is healthy IMO.  Staying in a truly miserable
  marriage till death/"for the kids" is not necessarily indicative of superior character.  :soapbox:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:25:05 AM »
One generation always blames the other.  :lol1:

I must object to the implication that getting divorced implies a sociopath-level inability to form
  a lasting relationship.  Maybe it actually implies prioritizing one's own happiness over the opinions
  of the neighbors or the teachings of religion, which is healthy IMO.  Staying in a truly miserable
  marriage till death/"for the kids" is not necessarily indicative of superior character.  :soapbox:

Seriously, I agree.

How many sociopaths are created from the dysfunctional relationships of their parents? Bet they never considered that into their little equation.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:11:16 PM »
Makes me think of an observation posted related to US gun death stats.

The sociological factors are very interesting to consider. US homicide rates differ dramatically by age, with the highest rates among ages 20-30. Homicide drops dramatically at age 40, and at that same age suicide rates begin to take over, with adults 45-60 equally suicidal as the young are murderous. While homicide has dramatically decreased to less than half the rates in 1990, US suicide rates have seen similar dramatic increase over the past two decades. When considering age, one could contemplate the young adult generation after then end of the Vietnam war and the age they are now today, and conclude the baby boomers are a sociologically damaged generation.
It's easy to look at US homicide rates over time, and wonder what happened from 1970 to 1990, and easy to look at suicide rates for the last fifteen years and wonder what is happening now. It's doesn't seem so difficult to understand when one considers who are these people.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 06:08:34 PM »

It's possible the war screwed them up, and nothing more.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:30:42 PM »
I blame my anti-social behavior on fluoridated water.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:13:38 AM »

Did your mom have you vaccinated?  That could be the problem. :gopher: :nerd!: :P

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »

Did your mom have you vaccinated?  That could be the problem. :gopher: :nerd!: :P

Maybe she kept Gary in the fridge? :toporly:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »

She's a baby boomer, so she probably did something or another wrong.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 02:12:24 AM »

Yeah, you. :trollface:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
  I'm in an odd place, generationally.  I missed being a Baby Boomer by only two years.
  So technically I belong to Generation X, but I don't feel particularly part of it, at least
  not the depiction of it in those 90s movies about grunge 20somethings in Seattle.  ::)

Really, these days I just feel fucking old.  :P

People forget.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »

It's always the mother's fault.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »

Take some responsibility for once in your life.  :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »
I don't know how to responsibility.  :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »
I don't know how to responsibility.  :zoinks:

That's why we have our esteemed public servants to do it for you.   :police: :gopher: :police:

People forget.