Author Topic: Walkie's Awsome Nut roast  (Read 270 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Walkie's Awsome Nut roast
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:36:52 AM »
Years ago, I used to always be the one to make  Christmas Dinner for the tribe. That is: veggie self, veggie son, son's vegan half-sister plus her current partner, plus son's Dad (if you go back a whole 22 years to before I ;eft him), plus occasional random friends (I'd happily take in anyone who didn't have better plans)  . I used to just buy a ready-made nutloaf and throw mysel;f into the accompaniments. Neing clumsy and disorganised, preparauion would take ages and  the kitchen would look like a bomb had hit it,; but as one guest remarked "Who would guess that such a delicious meal would emerge from such chaos?"  :)

Since beccoming increasing ill with a metabolic disorder and also developing a shedload of food intolerances, I've been neither up to cooking nor eating anything like a traditional Christmas Dinner. heck i can;'t even make myself busy in the kitchen for longer than about 30 minutes without danger of crashing out for next 3 days. And my speed hasn't increased, but rather the opposite  and I'm clumsier than ever. I just gave up. The "step daughter" (for want of a better word, thogh she;'s only 10 years younger than myself, so that's silly, huh?) now skips calling in here for a meal, and just goes straight to her Dad's. Son has grown up and  nearly always goes to friends for Christmas, so that only leaves self to cater for. Sorted. I can just sit at the PC all day  and munch gluten-free rice puffs or something. Ofc , I don't accept invotations to have my christmas dinner elsewhere , because who the heck would want a teetotal, vegan, gluten intolerant, corn intolerant etceteras at their table? Heck, not even I want me at my table. Not even I know what to do with me. 

This year, however, my son was acctually planning to spend the whole of Christmas  day with me, and semed to be in a helpful mood, so I said Hhey! shall we make a nut roast between us?" . And so we did.  And pretty mcch all the usual trimmmings,  Well, it wasn't quite that simple. I had to put a lot of thought , research and shopping into it, reinventeing my old recipes to sidestep my food intolerances, and the nut roast was particularly difficult seeing as I'd never actualkly made one before, and couldn't find an entirely suitable recipe; and tghe infinity of variations on that themne were doing my head in. In the end , I just used those recipes as a rough guide as to quatitities, and invented my own .

The recipe follows. Much to our surprise , it turned out to be the most delicious nutroast  we'd ever had. Even this year's random guest thought the same.  Ofc, i overdid it in the kitchen, in spite of all that help,  and paid the usual price in subsequent days, but it was worth it :)

400g of Holland and Barret's "domestic violence nuts" (as we call 'em) futher abused almost to the point iof tuning them into paste (but beuing careful to retan a few crunchy bits)
a few handfuls of pistachios, ditto
about 70 g ground flaxseed, soaked for a few minutes in  3X that much water by volume
a few handfuls of green raisins
1 green pepper , finely chopped
1 onion , finekly chopped
approx. 150g chestnut mushrooms , chopped
half a jar of dried parsley
a bit of rosemary, a bit of thyme
salt and ground black pepper

Method: thoroughly mix that lot together, suff into a large greased tin and bake at medium heat for , umm,  45 minutes? (we forgot to note what time we put it in).

You might nortice I'm not one one for being terribly precise?  Well,  did a lot of that precision thing in my youth and bored myself silly with it. Chucking in handfuls is more fun :) . Besides I have a "tenants cooker" (as I call it) that is : not the sort of cooker that any sane person would buy for their own use; which is why I wrote "medium heat". I long-ago gave up trying to figure out what Gas Mark that's supposed to be exactly (it's not calibrated in any normal way, and half the marks have worn off, anyway)   .I'm happy enough if the bloody thing deigns to stay alight for long enough to finish the job.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:43:02 AM by Walkie »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Walkie's Awsome Nut roast
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
  That actually sounds delicious.  Are there macadamia nuts in that mix?  :)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:12:46 AM »

Nope, but no reason why you  couldn't adapt if to taste and include some macadadamias.

If you'd checked out my helpful link , you'd have seen that the "bashed , broken, mixed " nuts consist in cashews, brazils and walnuts.  That just happened to be the nearest thing to chopped nuts I could find without including peanuts in the mix.

Anyway, thanks for making me check out the link myself. Seriously!  I'd hesitated to that, cos my short-term memory is such a piece of crap these days that I had to back-and-forth a few times to get it right, and I couldn't be arsed at that point in time.  But I could really do with a note of the exact  ingredients, in case H & B change it , and i have to look elsewhere next time. And I've chucked away the packet now, haven;t I?  Sorted, thanks to yourself :)

You thinking of actually trying it? That would be cool, if somebody did .

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 05:38:47 AM »

Nope, but no reason why you  couldn't adapt if to taste and include some macadadamias.

If you'd checked out my helpful link , you'd have seen that the "bashed , broken, mixed " nuts consist in cashews, brazils and walnuts.  That just happened to be the nearest thing to chopped nuts I could find without including peanuts in the mix.

Anyway, thanks for making me check out the link myself. Seriously!  I'd hesitated to that, cos my short-term memory is such a piece of crap these days that I had to back-and-forth a few times to get it right, and I couldn't be arsed at that point in time.  But I could really do with a note of the exact  ingredients, in case H & B change it , and i have to look elsewhere next time. And I've chucked away the packet now, haven;t I?  Sorted, thanks to yourself :)

You thinking of actually trying it? That would be cool, if somebody did .

I may start doing some actual cooking for myself in the new year.  :thumbup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 04:28:02 PM »
Just popped in to check on my Nut Roast recipe.
Must do a proper post soon.
Missing you guys.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
Welcome back.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »
*waves at the passing blur*
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.