Author Topic: I'm asking  (Read 903 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I'm asking
« on: December 18, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »
Okay, not sure if I'll get this answered in time, but here goes.  I'm giving the computer to my sister and I wanted to make sure everything was running well and to remove my junk.   I'd had some problems accessing the Internet.  For example Facebook would freeze as I was reading it. I had to hit Home to re-start the column and voila, there would be new posts on the top of the page.  Then I could scroll down to where I was and continue reading the next posts. 

I had the computer tuned up yesterday. The only site I can access without any problem is here.  (Oddly enough the search engine always shows the lobster cooking thread and when I click on the site, that's where I end up when I sign in.) The little message in the bottom line as I try to access other sites (as the site creepingly loads and never finishes) is that the  page loaded, but with errors.  Also, the few sites I can access will load v e r r r r r y slowly and not show any graphics.

The computer had Windows 10, but when the computer store ran the clean-up of the computer they couldn't do it with 10, so they reloaded (?) Windows 7.  I did some hunting and clicking and somewhere I found something that said it was a proxy problem.  i don't think I have a proxy.  And I didn't have this problem before.

ATT checked and said there was no problem with the internet connection.  The PR's computer is running fine, so I believe them. 

Could something have been messed up when they re-loaded the software?  I'm going to call them tomorrow, but I'd like some input from here first.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:28:18 PM by Queen Victoria »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: I'm asking
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 12:09:09 AM »
On Windows 7, my computer would regularly freeze up, especially when watching YouTubes. I took it (it's an HP laptop) to the local computer shop and they spent 3 days trying to get it to freeze and it wouldn't, so they couldn't dx anything. As soon as I got it home it froze when I was looking at my emails. Argh. Since I upgraded to Windows 10, though, I have not had the problem. Kayleigh said that on Windows 7 there must have been some corrupt drivers. I don't know how to fix that, sorry about that.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 01:46:32 AM »
How do you connect to the Internet? Wifi?

I'm thinking your router recognises the Win7 computer's network card (they have unique names called MAC addresses) and so uses a configuration that was cached before the machine was cleaned up.

That sort of thing is fixable by removing the old entry in the router's config page, but I need to know more about your setup first.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:29 AM »
BTW, if I'm right, the computer should work fine outside your home, with any other connection. If you have a smartphone with a shareable wifi connection (doable with most iPhones and Android phones these days), you can try connecting through that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:55:11 AM »
How do you connect to the Internet? Wifi?

I'm thinking your router recognises the Win7 computer's network card (they have unique names called MAC addresses) and so uses a configuration that was cached before the machine was cleaned up.

That sort of thing is fixable by removing the old entry in the router's config page, but I need to know more about your setup first.

Yes,wifi.  I'll try to find out the info about the router config page.  I wasn't optimistic about the computer acting up if I brought it back in.  You know how things won't malfunction while at the repair shop.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 03:48:39 AM »
I managed to get the run command into my startup menu.  Followed some direction on the search screen and got this information that I think is what we're looking for.  Notice the we?

Local Iv6 address      192.168.1.219
Gateway address      192.168.1.254

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
I suspect you'll find your router's config page at 192.168.1.1. What's the make and model of the router?

But before you go there... You could try clicking the Start button, typing "cmd" in the search box and selecting the command prompt. Then write

ipconfig /flushdns

and hit Return.

If it disconnects from the router, reconnect again. If this didn't help, force a new connection by writing

ipconfig /release

Hit return. It should disconnect from the router. Then write

ipconfig /renew

and hit Return.

Let me know what happens.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
Called the shop and they said bring it in, which I did.  They installed Google Chrome and it runs fine now.

Loaded the QuiltPro program for my sister, broke down the computer and it's in the bag ready for transport to Texas on Thursday.

Odeon - Thanks.  I'd managed to find some similar repair steps on the search page for whatever it was I was rooting around for.  That's how I found the figures.  I would have no idea of what is the make and model of the router.

Since my sister will have a different wireless company and IP address, I was just interested in getting on the Internet long enough to activate the problem.  Now it's all hers...................

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
Just buy a new one.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 06:07:14 AM »

Buy yourself a new Kolinsky sable watercolor brush.  You can't, can you?  :hahaha: :trollface:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »

I don't like my sister enough to buy her a new computer.

We moved back into the house in May 2015.  I set up The PR's and PA's computers.  My room was (and is) cluttered with stuff I didn't deal with.  My computer was unpacked and has been sitting there for 18 months.  I don't need to buy another computer, just set mine up.  The PR is graciously letting me use hers until then.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
I'm glad it's solved. :)

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
I'm glad it's solved. :)

Thanks.  Not sure it's entirely solved, but it's my sister's problem now.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »
Did you ever run the commands?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 11:30:47 AM »
By the time you'd posted them, I had brought the computer back to the shop.  I figured for $80+ the computer should run seamlessly.

At least I'm a bit more comfortable now with the mysterious and dark ways of the computer.  I managed to put the run program in the startup menu, something that will be useful when I do it on my computer too.